Turnaround of Indian ODI team under Virat's captaincy

MCcricket

Will we see positive changes in our ODI side under Virat's captaincy?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Will Virat once again make a similar impact as a captain as he did in test in ODI n make our team a top team from mediocre one

3 minutes ago, laaloo said:

Funny an aggressive captain would have won the warm up match yesterday. Taking off Kuldeep  and bowling part timers and lesser bowlers to new batsman at the crease. Street smart indeed

9 minutes ago, maniac said:

Giving an over to Joginder was not a master stroke....it was lack of options....probably a big fluke......Misbah actually won us the game more than Jogi or Dhoni :giggle: 

Also he didn't pick Jogi to bowl over bhajji...it was bhajji who had 2nd thoughts to bowl the last over.

How about Champions Trophy final? You think any other skipper could have defended 129 on that pitch when Ravi Bopara was almost taking the game away? Only MSD could win game from those impossible situations. :bow:

I think Virat is no Hussain who was a genius and did great with a very weak side but he has many things going for him, his talent as a batter, his temperament n confidence, his will to win, his attn to fitness n need to improve, his reading of the game, proactiveness, field placings can I prove but it will be a process as he captains more but he is miles ahead of Dhoni by intent, passion, understanding the need to support bowlers as they win you games and being dynamic with team combo n can play attacking n defensive as a captain while Dhoni only had one way of playing n thinking, n he was too stubborn or cared to change.

I think Virat is no Hussain who was a genius and did great with a very weak side but he has many things going for him, his talent as a batter, his temperament n confidence, his will to win, his attn to fitness n need to improve, his reading of the game, proactiveness, field placings can I prove but it will be a process as he captains more but he is miles ahead of Dhoni by intent, passion, understanding the need to support bowlers as they win you games and being dynamic with team combo n can play attacking n defensive as a captain while Dhoni only had one way of playing n thinking, n he was too stubborn or cared to change.

We have a good team just need sensible captaincy and selection.Also Dhoni as a batsman will be more valuable.Dhoni Lacked Spark in last few years.

@Austin 3:!6 question back to you....Do you want a turnaround under Virat's captaincy?

Brother dont listen to Laaloo. :giggle:

Ofcourse I want Virat to perform well as our LOI skipper. However it wont be a turnaround but to carry on the good work MS done over the years. I know we have lost few JAMODI series (who cares about them anyway?) but overall in big tourneys our LOI team has done pretty well in last 3 years. Let it be CT, Asia Cup, WC's, T20 WCs etc.

So not sure what turnaround means.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

A captain can't change the team overnight. He will have to use the same players which have been part of the set up for a while, but what I am looking forward to more with Virat is that he would try to back his bowlers more. Something which Dhoni did too, but only with few particular bowlers. With Virat, I expect to see more bowlers being tried and players also being given proper chance before they are dropped. I expect Virat to take harsh decisions like dropping big name players if they are totally out of form, instead of waiting for them to score a big knock. 

He's the right man to lead India, Dhoni knows it too, and hence he gave up the captaincy.

Start the ERA. 

7 hours ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

We have to wait and see how it goes. Didn't quite like it when he captained us in Asia Cup 2014 as he looked over excited. Costed us the Pakistan game by giving last over to a spinner. Afridi could have never hit that 2 sixes in last over if MS Dhoni was our captain.

Having said that a lot has changed since. Virat is now an experienced test captain and got a much calm personality. Hope he does well.

Actually we missed Dhoni the WK-Bat instead of Dhoni the captain. Captain Kohli was brilliant in that Asia Cup match. 

Dhoni the batsman was in great form during that time as he showed in the NZ series before the Asia cup, unfortunately he got a hamstring injury and was replaced by that match losing TTF Dinesh Karthik.

I watched all 100 overs of that match and remember it very well. Karthik scored a grand total of 25 runs from 50 deliveries and struggled big time even against the likes of Afridi who was finished as a bowler by then. No way Dhoni would have played a poor knock like this, he would have batted throughout and took India to a total of 270 or above, he was in great form back then as I mentioned above! 

Not only did Karthik screw up in the batting, he also fked up big time with the gloves. I vividly remember he missed an easy leg side stumping off Ashwin and the batsman was Sohaib Maqsood. Dhoni would never ever had missed that stumping. Had we gotten Maqsood out at that point, that means that Afridi would have had to come out and face a lot of overs from Mishra as he still had lots remaining. Halwai was unplayable on that day, I can guarantee that he would have gotten Afridi out early and we would have eventually won the match. But there is no point in talking about this now. 

Kohli's captaincy was awesome that day, we almost defended a below par target of 245 only for that TTF Karthik to mess it all up. Plus, Kohli is more mature and experienced now, his captaincy has also improved as seen in test cricket and that's why Dhoni has given him full control of both LOI teams now! 

Edited by SecondSlip
Bold
4 hours ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Brother dont listen to Laaloo. :giggle:

Ofcourse I want Virat to perform well as our LOI skipper. However it wont be a turnaround but to carry on the good work MS done over the years. I know we have lost few JAMODI series (who cares about them anyway?) but overall in big tourneys our LOI team has done pretty well in last 3 years. Let it be CT, Asia Cup, WC's, T20 WCs etc.

So not sure what turnaround means.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

But you opened a thread called "turnaround under Virat's captaincy" :hysterical: 

We have been a mediocre team in last we have been a mediocre team in last three years with a bad win \loss %, although individual brilliance by Rohit n Virat has won us some games but overall, batting unit doesn't have guys who can make momentum n win matches on their own except Virat n Rohit that too Rohit is very slow at start like Dhawan n gives away the initial advantage,Bumrah has been good bowler rest are just average n won't stand out or win against good teams on flight deck or dominate more often, n it's mostly this n batting unit constantly coming up short by 20 to 30 runs which is a problem.

Solution well mistake we make n continue to make is mixing success in one format with other n not do relating S/R n match winning ability, guys like Rayudu , and guys who are past by sell date Yuvi, Raina, Dhoni need to go n infusion of fresh blood.

Positives comeback of Ashwin, Jadeja n K Yadav should soon join them.

Bumrah, Shami, Pandya is a decent combo when playing together.

Virat, Rohit ,K L Rahul have been very very good so we need to fix middle order n be pro active scoring runs in the start atleast thru strike rotation .

With Virat comes a positive approach n will to dominate also new guys will be seen coming in which happened rarely with Dhoni.

The players I am looking forward to are.

D Hooda

Ishan Kishan

Sarfaraz

Pant

Nair

K Yadav

Pujara to me is far better option then Rahane n not bad as people think for this format have seen him score big 100 at high S/R in three games in domestic tourney QF n SF n Finals.

Sangwan 

Aniket

Sran

Aaron

Sandeep Sharma

V Shankar

Nathu

8 hours ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Dhonikonda would have chocked them like we did in Mohali 2011.

This an assumption. It is good to be a Dhoni supporter but other thing to bring another player down and assuming for fun that Dhoni would  have defended that total. If you watched the game live you would remember that Pakistan were cruising to victory with score of 200-4 in 40 overs with 2 not-out set batsman. Pakistan just needed 49 in next 10 overs and were clear favorites. Kohli's captaincy and Indian bowling turned it around and took it till last over. All the bowlers finished their quota. Had Bhuvi and Shami not bowled 49th and 48th over, the game could have ended few overs before. 

That was perfect captaincy from Kohli. We just bowled a bit bad in between and our score was too less and Pakistan came out slightly better than us. That's it.