Yuvraj - Mirage or are there signs he is back?

lets wait for a few games before we pass judgement....though i think this might be different we have seen a few false dawns with him. In T20 2014 he played a very good hand v Australia and then morphed back into his shell.

One thing I notice is that Kohli seems to not burden Yuvi with overs. Kedar seems to have taken up that role. I think the message from Kohli is clear concentrate on your batting. I always felt when he returned he was asked to bowl and bat and it really ruined his focus.

Secondly he is clearly a much fitter...

8 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

lets wait for a few games before we pass judgement....though i think this might be different we have seen a few false dawns with him. In T20 2014 he played a very good hand v Australia and then morphed back into his shell.

One thing I notice is that Kohli seems to not burden Yuvi with overs. Kedar seems to have taken up that role. I think the message from Kohli is clear concentrate on your batting. I always felt when he returned he was asked to bowl and bat and it really ruined his focus.

Or maybe VK simply went with Jadhav because as an off-spinner, he would turn the ball away from the 2 left-handers who were at the crease.

Good point, I remember the innings vs Aus in a T20 in 2014. A slight difference here is he seems to be handling short stuff well, but I suppose we should wait till he faces a 90 + MPH fast bowler or seaming/swinging conditions

He does look as fit as he did in 2010-11

I haven't seen his n Dhonis knock, hope they make a successful comeback as such, age is a number but main thing will be maintaining the S/R as modern day ODIs hinge on higher scores n strike rates for success.

For Yuvi it will be maintaining momentum while playing spinners n singles and for Dhoni to play like he used to.

Kudos to him n Dhoni let's hope this is not a flash in the pan.

12 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Or maybe VK simply went with Jadhav because as an off-spinner, he would turn the ball away from the 2 left-handers who were at the crease.

he bowled more than Yuvi in ODI 1 as well....lets see if he is bowled more in odi 3

Great knock by Yuvi especially after early wickets and keeping the scoring rate high throughout his innings. The good thing about this knock is that now we have a pool of middle order batsmen (along with Kedar and Pandey) who can score 100s at a good SR and bail team out from dire situations. This is a nice selection problem to have. 

The concern I have though is whether he can sustain this form. He has made spectacular comebacks in the past too only to fade later. Hope this time he is truly back with a bang. 

The pitch for the first match had a bit of bounce.....our fast bowlers bowled some good bouncers and troubled the English

This pitch was different that way and the ball was not bouncing much.

I would like to see how Yuvi does on a pitch with more bounce...where the bouncers are above his shoulders

Yuvi was a good player of the rising short-ball till 2011 but this has been his Achilles heel in the last few years.  Needs to pass this test.

6 hours ago, G_B_ said:

remember that T20 game against Australia in 2012 and then followed that horror ODI series where Mitchell Johnson made him his bunny. I am seeing the same struggle in the upcoming CT.

Edited by rkt.india
2 hours ago, Ranjha said:

Yuvraj Singh- The stuff legends are made of.

he is cut for odincricket after cancer comeback where he can settle down before all out attack and they were giving him t20 games to perform..unbelievable.

well played Yuvi...best Loi Indian batsman of all time.

actually, it was the ODI series after his come back in 2012 where the struggled the most after doing well in the T20. So, they thought T20 will suit him due to his fitness issues and played him there and not in ODIs. 

I am 44 now( true age) but as you all know a crazy cricketer...I was fielding in the Gully and a batsman square cut .. I dived and stretched my hands only to get a hand to the ball and the ball went for a 4.

when I stood up back my back n hand had got seriously stretched hard and for next 10 minutes I could manage to stand on the field but I know that had there been another shot towards me- I would have hardly able to stretch- it seemed as if I had several body pains in my shoulder and back.

I am not sure how old UVraj is but it seems UVRAJ is kinda exactly like me.

yesterday he missed a catch at gully and I remembered my dive....after that a player came to lift UVRAJ and pat him on the back- I felt it was a catch.

UV is a top batsman but will he be able to succeed in champions trophy- My Answer is a BIG NO.

had hardik pandya came to bat yesterday at no 4 or kedar jadhav or even Ashwin - it was a flat pitch and there main strike bowler woakes was out of the ATTACK , any other batsman would have also scored good runs though hardik/kedar could have seriously batted very well.

kedar and hardik both are better batsman than DHONI and UVRAJ as of today.

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

The pitch for the first match had a bit of bounce.....our fast bowlers bowled some good bouncers and troubled the English

This pitch was different that way and the ball was not bouncing much.

I would like to see how Yuvi does on a pitch with more bounce...where the bouncers are above his shoulders

Yuvi was a good player of the rising short-ball till 2011 but this has been his Achilles heel in the last few years.  Needs to pass this test.

You will find out in ct 

4 minutes ago, vishalvirsingh said:

I am 44 now( true age) but as you all know a crazy cricketer...I was fielding in the Gully and a batsman square cut .. I dived and stretched my hands only to get a hand to the ball and the ball went for a 4.

when I stood up back my back n hand had got seriously stretched hard and for next 10 minutes I could manage to stand on the field but I know that had there been another shot towards me- I would have hardly able to stretch- it seemed as if I had several body pains in my shoulder and back.

I am not sure how old UVraj is but it seems UVRAJ is kinda exactly like me.

yesterday he missed a catch at gully and I remembered my dive....after that a player came to lift UVRAJ and pat him on the back- I felt it was a catch.

UV is a top batsman but will he be able to succeed in champions trophy- My Answer is a BIG NO.

had hardik pandya came to bat yesterday at no 4 or kedar jadhav or even Ashwin - it was a flat pitch and there main strike bowler woakes was out of the ATTACK , any other batsman would have also scored good runs though hardik/kedar could have seriously batted very well.

kedar and hardik both are better batsman than DHONI and UVRAJ as of today.

Sorry what tosh . Any batsman in that scenario would have Slammed 150 of 127 balls . O please .

give him credit where due. Majestic knock 

I seriously hate the PATTA wickets...they kill a pace bowler.

as soon as the ball becomes 20 overs old and looses the red shine /white gloss and it is a PATTA wicket........it becomes a seriously bad combination for a pace bowler.

nz/ustralian/English wickets have grass and moisture helping pace bowlers.

I believe we do not have 2 new balls in one ODI innings.

1 minute ago, King Tendulkar said:

Sorry what tosh . Any batsman in that scenario would have Slammed 150 of 127 balls . O please .

give him credit where due. Majestic knock 

did you notice morgan got a 100 .. had butler or JOS not been tricked by our spinners they would have out scored UV. 

do understand it was a PATTA wicket and small boundaries...it becomes too easy for batsman.

We managed to win with Great Difficulty and due to GOOD BOWLING not great bastmanship.

even mis hits were going for SIX.

BHUVI ( his Yorkers and slow balls in the end), Ashwin, bumrah and even Jadeja bowled very well.

small boundaries and PATTA wickets....kohli , Rahul and dhawan were a shade unlucky as WOAKES was in full form and the ball was swinging a little.

yes I consider UV's knock and even DHONI's knock as a MIRAGE on this Patta wicket.

I will like when they score a 100 in champions trophy in English conditions or Australian conditions or even in new Zealand.

indian Patta conditions even an Ashwin/jadeja can score 100"s.

jake ball, plunkett , stokes and wokes are over all not a good attack on indian track..

England had broad, finn and Anderson..woakes was always the 4th pacer...England knows that broad finn and Anderson wont like to ball on patta wickets so they are not played..all 3 are much better than the current average trundle pacers in England.