IPL teams needs more players from their states

NareshK

I was thinking why IPL from earlier versions(2008-2012 or so) had that edge over current editions. The big reason is teams from earlier IPL editions used to have more players from their respective states.

For instance, in 2008 RCB used to have Dravid, Kumble, Uthappa, Manish Pandey and it felt like a Karnataka IPL side. Similarly, Delhi used to have Sehwag, Gambhir, Ashish Nehra, Shikhar Dhawan etc. Same with Mumbai, Hyderabad etc.

IPL is a regional competition and it has lost that flavor over the years. When you watch RCB Vs KKR or Delhi Vs Mumbai, it doesnt seem the same anymore. It just looks like a bunch of random cricketers playing a game among themselves without any context, similar to Asia X1 or World X1 teams.

You can see that from the crowd response. Most of them are cheering for both the teams and have no passionate support for their team. This is not good in the longer run because its the passion from fan base which keeps rivalry going which makes things more competitive and interesting. 

More state players help the fans get behind the team lot more and there is more emotional attachment for their franchises. Losing/winning a game will mean lot more to the fans as they associate with their state players.

To infuse more regional competition in IPL, they could have at least 3-4 players from the States which are represented by the franchise.

Say for instance, Mumbai could have Rohit Sharma, Rahane, Shreyas Iyer or Shradul Thakur.

Gujarat could have Ravindra Jadeja, Axar Patel, Jasprit Bumrah, Parthiv.

Delhi could have Gambhir, Rishab Pant, Unmukt Chand, Ishant Sharma etc.

Rest could be international players or players from other states.

I think there was some rule about taking local players from the teams catchment  area.

At least the uncapped players should be from your local area. The whole country can be divided into eight regions so that player s from areas with no franchaise can also play.

14 minutes ago, beetle said:

I think there was some rule about taking local players from the teams catchment  area.

At least the uncapped players should be from your local area. The whole country can be divided into eight regions so that player s from areas with no franchaise can also play.

I think the rule was you could select uncapped players from catchment area but dont think its set in stone.

The structure of most of the teams changed after Pune and Kerala teams were announced and most players went back into auction. Players probably thought it was better because they would get paid more.

There should be a rule limiting teams to pick at least 3-4 players from state side similar to international cricketers.

Edited by NareshK

1 hour ago, Magneto said:

IPL is a corporate cup. The regional names are just for convenience.

From the viewers' perspective, they still think the teams are representing their city/region. Thousands of people wouldnt turn up at the stadiums or watch the games on tv to support the teams because of their corporate owners. 

2 hours ago, asterix said:

It's important to start from the top. Only Regional franchise owners be allowed. Can't have a Mumbaiyya SRK to own KKR, DMK guys to own SRH, GMR to own DD, Gujju Ambani to own MI.... non regional owners then try to bring in their own set of players who are not local...

But it won't happen...

It wouldnt make any difference if the franchise is owned by someone from the state or not. The owner could still opt for players from other states. The rule needs to be set by IPL governing council itself, similar to the rule on the limit of international players.

Edited by NareshK

I made a similar thread many years ago.

Would be wonderful if most local players represent their city/region franchise.

But I guess practically some teams would be at a disadvantage because of that.

Delhi, Mumbai and Bangalore would have good teams.

5 hours ago, NareshK said:

From the viewers' perspective, they still think the teams are representing their city/region. Thousands of people wouldnt turn up at the stadiums or watch the games on tv to support the teams because of their corporate owners. 

True. It’s a smart con job for sure.

Most of the people attending matches won't even know who their local players are lol

No passionate support for their becoz of no local players ?

Which tournament have u seen fans showing passionate support for local players ? Ranji trophy fully constituted of local players is played in front of empty stadiums for starters.

L

Completely agree with OP. There should be some threshold set for having a minimum local representation. I feel that at least 3 players in the playing XI should be local. You would have to divide the country into different regions to determine which team is local for which region. For example UP does not have a team so their players could potentially be considered local for DD.

With hardly any local presence and players changing constantly, it is hard to keep one's allegiance. I feel much much happier when Mumbai wins the Ranji Trophy than MI winning anything. In fact, I only watch IPL to see new young Indian players performing and I don't really give a damn for who wins. I will take a match where any promising young Indian player dominated and showed potential over one in which my so called "local" team just won.

In first season, there was a rule of Iconic player and uncapped player, where every team had their icon player as Yuvi in KXIP, Sehwag in DD, Sachin in MI, Ganguly in KKR, Dravid in RCB, Laxman in DC. Only RR was an exception as they didn't have bigger Indian player so had Warne as icon player. Icon players were to represent their state to connect with local people. Further, there was rule of having 1-2 uncapped Indian players and other state players. That was better model.

I follow KXIP because I am Punjabi, but this time this year they neither have home ground in Mohali nor any key player since Yuvi left. All in all, IPL has become a normal tournament. I saw Big Bash here in Brisbane and they have more connection with local players. IPL is joke now if you talk about blend of regional and international cricket.

2 hours ago, Zero_Unit said:

Its a bit too late in the game for this too happen. Most teams carries their Core players and then releases and re adjust each year. I can guarantee you that majority of the people don't even know who is from what city.

The players keep moving around so much its hard for any kind of loyalty to build for players or for fans. Even as a viewer, it gets confusing and difficult to tell sometimes which players belongs to which team. 

I have to say IPL had its best years when Lalit Modi used to run the show.