This tournament portends good sign for cricket in general

SK_IH

Who wants a sport with just 4-5 good intl teams.this tournamnet has been a breath of fresh air in that regard. bangladesh is on a upswing, pakistan have shown some brilliance, sl will be a tougher side in future,their batting talent is quite good.

Nz,Aus,Ind,Eng and Sa will always be highly competitive .likes of Afghanistan are coming up nicely and hopefuly WI get their best players on park .Healthy signs for cricket.

In fact its other way around. Bangladesh and Pakistan two borderline minnows get to the semi finals.NZ is not as good as they are perceived to be. That makes 5 teams currently poor ODI teams: Pakistan, Srilanka, Bangladesh, New Zealand,West Indies.

Edited by Pollack
7 minutes ago, Pollack said:

In fact its other way around. Bangladesh and Pakistan two borderline minnows get to the semi finals.NZ is not as good as they are perceived to be. That makes 5 teams currently poor ODI teams: Pakistan, Srilanka, Bangladesh, New Zealand,West Indies.

i must say of all the teams i wrote about,i am still unsure about pakistan the most,they do not seem any better to me than before,but hassan ali has kept them in the tournamnet so far.Bangladesh and Lanka will keep improving,they have quite good talent

1 minute ago, SK_IH said:

i must say of all the teams i wrote about,i am still unsure about pakistan the most,they do not seem any better to me than before,but hassan ali has kept them in the tournamnet so far.Bangladesh and Lanka will keep improving,they have quite good talent

Yes. Hasan has been the star. But entire bowling of Pakistan has been very good. Batting is sloppy and worst of all teams.

5 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Yes. Hasan has been the star. But entire bowling of Pakistan has been very good. Batting is sloppy and worst of all teams.

agree about the batting part but i think even their bowling is not earth shattering with the exception of hassan(very impressive since debut).

I actually think teams have regressed over the last few years in cricket. We only have a handful of teams and even they are not that good anymore. With viewers increasingly losing interest in bilateral ODIs and Champions Trophy, World Cup being played once every 4 years, its going to be tough for international cricket especially ODIs to remain relevant in the coming years. 

I feel some of the old school rivalries like Aus-Eng, Aus-SA and perhaps Aus-Ind, Eng-Ind can keep test cricket interesting and the T20 leagues will be the money spinners.

Edited by kubrickian
9 minutes ago, kubrickian said:

I actually think teams have regressed over the last few years in cricket. We only have a handful of teams and even they are not that good anymore. With viewers increasingly losing interest in bilateral ODIs and Champions Trophy, World Cup being played once every 4 years, its going to be tough for international cricket especially ODIs to remain relevant in the coming years. 

I feel some of the old school rivalries like Aus-Eng, Aus-SA and perhaps Aus-Ind, Eng-Ind can keep test cricket interesting and the T20 leagues will be the money spinners.

there have been good crowd in most of the games and atleast this tournament it has not looked like teams are regressing,which is far cry from pre tournament talks like guaranteed top 4 team from both groups

2 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

there have been good crowd in most of the games and atleast this tournament it has not looked like teams are regressing,which is far cry from pre tournament talks like guaranteed top 4 team from both groups

I feel teams are regressing because of the quality of cricket being played and the quality of competition.

You can also see this from the number of world class talents in teams. When IPL started in 2008, there were some big names in international cricket like Gilchrist, Gibbs, Hayden, Warne, McCullum, Ponting, Kallis, Sachin, Dravid, Kumble etc just to name a few off the top of my head who were top draw and people would tune in just to watch them play. Now there are hardly a few who can match up to those names. 

Honestly, barring few late games, this tournament has been dull and full of shyt with rain and stuff. Nothing boards well for cricket if we keep having such tournaments, which are not well hosted and protected with extra day incase it rains.

Honestly, an Indo-Pak final which could happen and Pak vs Eng game actually saved this tournament's image a bit, otherwise it has been one of the shytest ICC tournament ever. 

even after rains,destiny of sides were in their hand and the teams that made it count progressed ahead.even if you take rain into account ,if it deprived aus against bangles ,it also helped them get a point against NZ.Similarly Pak got lucky with rain match aganst SA but still they are in the finals playing good cricket against the odds in back to bakc matches

1 hour ago, kubrickian said:

I feel teams are regressing because of the quality of cricket being played and the quality of competition.

You can also see this from the number of world class talents in teams. When IPL started in 2008, there were some big names in international cricket like Gilchrist, Gibbs, Hayden, Warne, McCullum, Ponting, Kallis, Sachin, Dravid, Kumble etc just to name a few off the top of my head who were top draw and people would tune in just to watch them play. Now there are hardly a few who can match up to those names. 

but dont you think if we look at cricket in this perspective,past generation will always look better,there will always be a time when there will be plethora of young cricketers in every team looking to make a mark 

38 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

even after rains,destiny of sides were in their hand and the teams that made it count progressed ahead.even if you take rain into account ,if it deprived aus against bangles ,it also helped them get a point against NZ.Similarly Pak got lucky with rain match aganst SA but still they are in the finals playing good cricket against the odds in back to bakc matches

Aus maybe would have lost vs NZ, but were on the verge of hammering Bangla, the NRR would have made difficult for Bangla

4 hours ago, Pollack said:

Same applies to SA. That makes 6.