Why is it important to give Kuldeep n Pandya a chance against SL in this test series.

SL test series is about to begin, Overseas tours are coming . In few days we ll be discussing team combinations

Every tours holds a key towards the future goal, n our goal is to earn our tarnished reputation overseas. The brand of cricket we have seen under kohli gives us high hopes and we also have a good bunch of players in the right age group. For that to happen this team has to fill its loopholes. 

1. backup opener

2. Backup keeper

3. wkt taking spinner

4. backup middle order batsman

5. Seaming all rounder

6. Fresh blood in fast bowling 

But there are some solution that can be found on this tour in  kuldeep n Pandya. The potential Wkt taking spinner and Potential seaming all rounder

But its important we play them and give them opp to learn .

1. Pandya- In overseas condition we need a 5th bowler + cushion in batting. Jayant yadav cant be our answer overseas neither can be jadeja whose batting is only good against spinners. So we are left with Pandya n Shankar , shankar is on A-tour and opportunity to give him 4 day games has already been missed. Pandya is someone who can destroy spinners and looks good against fast bowling. A bowler who clocks above 140k , get seam movement, bounce, bowls a wkt taking line and is deceptively quick. So he sounds a good package and better then binny n jadeja as all rounder. We have given chances to yuvraj, raina, rohit who failed so why we have fear with pandya . He might fail with bat but will still contribute with ball. A 5th bowler like him will always fetch wkts unlike binny who cud have done the role of containing. We played binny on last tour of SL so lets try someone better this time Pandya. Pandya will only improve if he plays. Come overseas tour we ll have to give him a chance so why not now, the way he takes on spinners who knws he might get the better of herath. If pandya plays all 3 test higher chances he ll come out as better cricketer. Also i have seen him take blinders in slips in domestic 

Another good slip fielder wnt harm among many droppers 

Test cricket can improve Pandya batting - as he is going to get more and regular opp with bat then in ODi at 7, and he ll keeping getting his 10+ overs for bowling as well. 

2. Kuldeep yadav- before i put his case, ill have to start with jadeja as for me kuldeep shud replace jadeja despite him being no.1 ranked

• Do we  see jadeja as our wkt taking bowler overseas
  • Do we see him going as an all rounder
  • Shud we take 3 spinners overseas- ashwin , jadeja , Kuldeep 

I have one answer to all this question - NO . Then whats the harm in dropping him now. Yes its subcontinent- so we can give kuldeep a chance safely and didnt we win in SL last time without jadeja. Jadeja has become no .1 by bowling in India with Sg but now its all going to be kookabura and that ball diff has effected even our gr8 spinners in past. 

Ashwin did really well last time in SL and contributes more with bat then jadeja. For me if we have to win overseas we need a wkt taking spinner and that hs to be decided among kuldeep or ashwin, i dnt see jadeja as a wkt taking spinner overseas. Neither we shud carry 3 spinners overseas. 

Its high time we look at filling these gap holes on this tour, few opp have already been missed lets not waste anymore. IF we can trust these 2 in similar condition how wud we in tougher conditions 

Lets keep individual n individual rankings aside , its all about the team not individuals 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

Excellent post 

I don't think Ravi Shastri & Kumble are thinking on the same terms.

They just want their favourite players ie Rohit, Shikhar, Ishant in the team.When Vijay was unfit they could have gone for a youngster,but they choose to bring back Shikhar.

We will know the mindset of Ravi & Kohli when they select team for the 1st test.Ideally they should select Pandya & Kuldeep, but they will select Rohit & Ishant in the squad

36 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

If we have picked him in the squad to develop him, then no better time to develop him now, because if he is picked later against South Africa or against England then we might be asking too much from him in terms of his performance over there. Better get him some tests in before that.

Absolutely

8 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Pandya should be 12th man and make sure that he plays enough FC cricket too. Indian batsmen don't develop directly at international level, they have to grind at FC level to become good. 

Enough FC class cricket, how long wud u wait for that 

I agree batsman do take time to mature but pandya doesnt have much time to Play Fc cricket. He is selected in every format and the time in between he shud also rest as he is ann all rounder . Pandya was fast tracked and now he has to be groomed at international level. 

Come Sa tour we ll have to play a seaming all rounder and its better to give him games against a side like Lanka before throwing him directly in SA series. We are not going to play a spinning all rounder in SA for sure . Pandya wud be batting at 6 and how bad wud he be from our Rohit sharma . Even if rohit does slightly better pandya can contribute with ball in every game, rohit wnt score every game . 

Many here had this same FC excuse before pandya made his debut but he has done really well in LOI , n we have played jadeja, binny as all rounders before and he cant be worse then them as all rounder 

28 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Enough FC class cricket, how long wud u wait for that 

I agree batsman do take time to mature but pandya doesnt have much time to Play Fc cricket. He is selected in every format and the time in between he shud also rest as he is ann all rounder . Pandya was fast tracked and now he has to be groomed at international level. 

Come Sa tour we ll have to play a seaming all rounder and its better to give him games against a side like Lanka before throwing him directly in SA series. We are not going to play a spinning all rounder in SA for sure . Pandya wud be batting at 6 and how bad wud he be from our Rohit sharma . Even if rohit does slightly better pandya can contribute with ball in every game, rohit wnt score every game . 

Many here had this same FC excuse before pandya made his debut but he has done really well in LOI , n we have played jadeja, binny as all rounders before and he cant be worse then them as all rounder 

A bowler can be fast tracked, but I doubt a batsman can do well in tests without FC experience. LOIs are completely different. 

58 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

A bowler can be fast tracked, but I doubt a batsman can do well in tests without FC experience. LOIs are completely different. 

Im agreeing on the batsman part but he wnt be getting much time in FC now....he is quite a permanent need now and Come Sa tour we ll need to play a seaming all rounder 

20 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Im agreeing on the batsman part but he wnt be getting much time in FC now....he is quite a permanent need now and Come Sa tour we ll need to play a seaming all rounder 

There is a requirement doesn't mean he has to be fast tracked. Without his batting he could lose spot with few failures and then it will be longer wait in FC cricket. 

25 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

There is a requirement doesn't mean he has to be fast tracked. Without his batting he could lose spot with few failures and then it will be longer wait in FC cricket. 

HE has already been fast tracked for an year, he is already there in squad means he is considered for playing

Now there is no fixed rule that he ll only fail due to lack of his exp in domestic, to each its own . How much success did binny n jadeja gained in international by scoring runs in domestic . 

It isnt that this guy looks out place when he plays international quality pace, infact our domestic best batch of batsman failed on a seaming track on A-tour in Australia n this guy got runs. 

What high standards has our regular no.6 rohit set that he will fail to overcome it. 

He aint no kid that few failures will make him loose confidence, infact only who are not meant for international cricket will loose confidence . The ones who are made for it will only learn from it. 

This whole fear of being scared of what if it fails will take us nowere. I we have stokes playing for us i can still understand he can take his time in domestic but now we need him and thats were his game will progress. He wnt be ready product but how many newcomers are . May be he ll learn with time how to build an innings but most newcomers also take their time. 

He aint that bad that ur making him out to be with failures, if we can show trust in rohit after so many test why not him atleast if he fails with the bat he can come back n contribute with the ball