Is this the most helpless squad of Australian players you have seen?

11 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

and how do they keep getting such sweet IPL contracts.

Not joking, would have SL players in my franchise over aussies.

and surely in Indian conditions even Bangladeshis make more sense @Malcolm Merlyn

ITs called Safedi ki chamkaar.   Stereotypes of Aussies are winners persist for long periods, even if the reality doesn't quite match up.

They have always been piss poor in this format. 

Only Aus players who play in IPL in starting XI are 

Warner (good IPL player) 

Finch (Good t20 player) 

Smith (mehhhh) 

Maxwell (miss or hit hack) 

Irregulars and Injured crew

Zampa

Lynn ( inj) 

Stoinis

Faulkner

T20i is more about bowling not even 1 bowler is good enough to make it in starting XI leaving out Starc who didn't even play IPL this yr. 

Edited by Rasgulla

I mean seriously. You dont even need a moneyball strategy or anything.

Somebody like Chandimal can be got for $100k and give you better returns than most aussies like Henriques.

If our relations with Pakistan were good would have packed my side with cheaper Pakistani imports. Somebody like S Malik would walk into my team.

26 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

I mean seriously. You dont even need a moneyball strategy or anything.

Somebody like Chandimal can be got for $100k and give you better returns than most aussies like Henriques.

If our relations with Pakistan were good would have packed my side with cheaper Pakistani imports. Somebody like S Malik would walk into my team.

Shoiab is a very experienced T20 freelancer.  I dont know about Chandimal in T20s, but Dickwella's a good arbitrage buy.  So is Perera.  And there are a couple of young SL lower order bats who bowl a bit that are potentially handy.  But when it comes to big hitting allrounders, Lankans are not considered as effective as a different breed of islanders - another stereotype that leads to the likes of Carlos Braithwaite getting massively overvalued contracts on the back of one-off performances.

They are too top heavy in LOIs. Middle order batsman, barring Marcus, have proven to be complete hacks against spin.

Bowling is still decent tbf as they had us in difficult situations during the ODI series. With Starc and Hazelwood in the team, things could've been different. 

The biggest problem is that they don't have a single solid player apart from Smith who can build the inings.  They are not even playing their full quota of overs and still trying hitters in middle order.  They need players like handscomb in middle overs. And players like Maxwell should be penalized for playing recklessly rather than giving him chances at no. 3 which was a horrible move.

2 hours ago, sandeep said:

Shoiab is a very experienced T20 freelancer.  I dont know about Chandimal in T20s, but Dickwella's a good arbitrage buy.  So is Perera.  And there are a couple of young SL lower order bats who bowl a bit that are potentially handy.  But when it comes to big hitting allrounders, Lankans are not considered as effective as a different breed of islanders - another stereotype that leads to the likes of Carlos Braithwaite getting massively overvalued contracts on the back of one-off performances.

I think Gunathilka is their bestbplayer who won them their last t20 series in Aus.

2 hours ago, jalebi_bhai said:

They are too top heavy in LOIs. Middle order batsman, barring Marcus, have proven to be complete hacks against spin.

Bowling is still decent tbf as they had us in difficult situations during the ODI series. With Starc and Hazelwood in the team, things could've been different. 

hazelwood has a good record in ODIs but he is at his best in Tests. As you said, they have a weak middle order outside Oz. The likes of Khawajas and Bradman Voges only score heavily in their home pitches.