Why Should Hindi be/not be national language of India?

sarcastic

43 minutes ago, BeardedAladdin said:

India is a shithole for 2 reasons and 2 reasons ONLY:

1. We aren't a homogeneous population.

2. We don't speak the same language.

Until this changes, india will forever remain a third world basket-case. We never had a cultural revolution (like china).

Luckily, there is ONE organization in this country that actually BELIEVES in the idea of the indian nation state - and they're currently overseeing the current government: the RSS. If it was upto me, i'd hand the entire country over to them.

Why even wait?

You can just cross the border and migrate to Bangladesh, a nation fairly homogeneous and all of whom speak the same language.

Maybe you can find your utopia there.

Edited by Mariyam

1 hour ago, BeardedAladdin said:

Lol, europe is a continent of fully autonomous, sovereign states. India is a country. Big difference. If you believe that india is a nation, you'll support a single language.

There is no basis in saying single country = single language. And i already said, if we have to pick a single language, it should be English. Far greater benefits than learning Hindi.

And it doesn't have to be hindi. I don't give a ****. Make it tamil. I have no problem with the entire country speaking tamil. I'll take lessons tomorrow if the government takes this step.

Then lets make it English. The language of the globe. 

On 1/15/2018 at 1:33 PM, Mariyam said:

Gujarati and Hindi are from the same family of languages. In syntax/grammar/ usage of tone etc there are similarities. The languages of the South are of an entirely different linguistic family. This makes it more difficult for a Tamil speaker to pick up Hindi.

What I have seen, is the Telugu speaking people in the Bangalore pick up Kannada a lot faster than say the Marwaris or the Punjabis etc. This has to do with familiarity of language more than anything else.

Tamils learn Engish fine, so learning Hindi is not an issue. Or are you Tamils aren't capable of learning Hindi? Really, thats a stupid point

India is a shithole for 2 reasons and 2 reasons ONLY:

1. We aren't a homogeneous population.

2. We don't speak the same language.

Until this changes, india will forever remain a third world basket-case. We never had a cultural revolution (like china).

Luckily, there is ONE organization in this country that actually BELIEVES in the idea of the indian nation state - and they're currently overseeing the current government: the RSS. If it was upto me, i'd hand the entire country over to them.

Neither one of those points have anything to do with being/not being a ****-hole. 

We were not unified in language ever, yet we were one of the richest, educated and peaceful societies in the world. All the major Indian empires- they were a cornucopia of languages and cultures, not Chinese style one dominant language/culture. 

RSS is nothing more than a wanna-be organization that is changing hinduism in a copy-cat version of Islam and sharing some light Nazi tendencies. Nothing more than intellectually vacuous fellows trying to take down Hinduism and India to the level of Islamist jahilliyat. 

11 hours ago, Gollum said:

Already India is divided on religious and caste/sub-caste lines. Don't want GOI to open another front, the linguistic one. Respect all languages and mighty proud of our incredible linguistic diversity. Because of linguistic differences there have been bloody partitions, civil wars and insurgencies. Do Northies want Bharat ke tukde tukde just to satiate their insatiable ego? If not better learn to respect our incredible diversity. South Indians are our family members, no need to try to dominate them culturally. But I don't think South is the biggest problem here, it is the North East, if Modi tries to enforce his narrow vision of culture over those people, India will get a bloody nose. They don't even accept Bengali, Hindi to bahut door ki baat hai. 

Diversity means being open, not intolerant. Their is a lot of brainwashing with the aryan-dravidian theory and hindi bashing is key there.

the source of this issue is from south india and thats where this has be resolved.

47 minutes ago, someone said:

Tamils learn Engish fine, so learning Hindi is not an issue. Or are you Tamils aren't capable of learning Hindi? Really, thats a stupid point

You haven't understood the point at all.

Learning English is equally difficult/easy for a native Tamil, Punjabi or a Bengali. Learning Hindi is markedly more difficult for a Tamil person than it is for a Punjabi or a Gujarati as those languages are similar to Hindi.

PS: I'm not Tamil. I am from a predominantly Urdu/Hindi speaking household.

Edited by Mariyam

16 minutes ago, someone said:

Diversity means being open, not intolerant. Their is a lot of brainwashing with the aryan-dravidian theory and hindi bashing is key there.

the source of this issue is from south india and thats where this has be resolved.

Until the British rule never in Indian history except for a few decades during Muhammad Bin Tughlaq's reign and during Aurangzeb's reign was South a part of India as the boundaries are drawn today. Even North East wasn't part of this region which you call India today for 99 % of the timeline till 1947. Why should these 2 regions accept hegemony of Hindi over their traditional well established languages? I mean even tyrants like Firuz Shah Tughlaq and Aurangzeb didn't force the language issue so forcefully as the Centre is doing with Hindi since 1947. You can't expect Southies to just bend over and do what the cow belt commands. We never make attempts to learn about their culture or language but force them to submit to our authority, is it fair? How open are Northies who work down south? Bengaluru is over run by people from Bihar/UP who come here begging for jobs because their states don't have the aukaat to generate jobs. Then they come here, disrespect the local culture, refuse to learn 2 words in Kannada/Tamil because it is beneath their dignity...is that being open or what? Source of the issue is not from South India, Hindi bashing isn't the only thing at play here. Hindi bashing also happens in Maharashtra because Biharis/Upwallehs come flocking the maximum city for jobs but fail to respect the local sentiments. Is there no Madrasi bashing or Chinki bashing in NCR? Not a day goes by without racist attacks against so called chinkis in Delhi, waah bhai what an open and tolerant society !!!!!!! North Indians should learn to respect other cultures and not claim exclusivity over tolerance and diversity because quite frankly they seem to lack both those qualities.  

P.S. There is hardly any Hindi bashing in south Indian cities or at least the bashing is politically exaggerated. Have spent time in Hyderabad, Chennai and Bengaluru and locals aren't averse to Hindi as you would like to believe. I have met shopkeepers who would pester me to teach them the Hindi translation of small things here and there. In North it is a different matter, I don't believe Northies in general even know or acknowledge the North East and Southern States as parts of India, the Hindi chauvinism is quite strong there. 

8 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

You haven't understood the point at all.

Learning English is equally difficult/easy for a native Tamil, Punjabi or a Bengali. Learning Hindi is marked more difficult for a Tamil than it is for a Punjabi or a Gujarati as those languages are similar to Hindi.

PS: I'm not Tamil. I am from a predominantly Urdu/Hindi speaking household.

Seems like you don't want to get the point actually. Tamils can learn English fine and so Hindi should be fine by same logic. Unless again, you want to keep implying Tamils are not capable enough which is stupid there. I am comparing with English.

8 minutes ago, Gollum said:

P.S. There is hardly any Hindi bashing in south Indian cities or at least the bashing is politically exaggerated. Have spent time in Hyderabad, Chennai and Bengaluru and locals aren't averse to Hindi as you would like to believe. I have met shopkeepers who would pester me to teach them the Hindi translation of small things here and there. In North it is a different matter, I don't believe Northies in general even know or acknowledge the North East and Southern States as parts of India, the Hindi chauvinism is quite strong there. 

The bashing is completely politics and it has filled completely in South. The Aryan-dravidian brainwashing means people are simply allergic to Hindi.

And in your own words, not knowing Hindi can be unfair to students, which is the best reason why Hindi should be the National language. It's all about competitiveness and we want to promote it.

Just now, someone said:

The bashing is completely politics and it has filled completely in South. The Aryan-dravidian brainwashing means people are simply allergic to Hindi.

And in your own words, not knowing Hindi can be unfair to students, which is the best reason why Hindi should be the National language. It's all about competitiveness and we want to promote it.

My point was even in national level competitive exams the govt deliberately uses cheap tactics to favor students who know Hindi. Not knowing Hindi is perfectly ok for students, not knowing English is unfair to students. English is the only global language and language of science, Hindi has as much use as Bhutanese in that regard. 

7 minutes ago, someone said:

Again, you all keep skirting the point that whatever reason you want to use to push Hindi, from a practical and useful POV (and not nationalistic ego-driven drivel), its better to promote English. 

@Gollum

@nikred

Guys who have spent time in the Old City of Hyderabad maybe able to relate this post better.

There are these silver trinklet shops in the lanes leading up to the Charminar. I tried to negotiate ( don't judge me :p:) and the guy said something really fast. I just shrugged my shoulder to indicate that his wisdom was lost on me and he repeated the same thing again. I told him that I can't speak Telugu and if he could speak Hindi/Urdu. And he replied saying that he was speaking in Urdu. They call it Dakkhani, btw.

Even their written/print media Urdu is quite funny. That kind of language would pass off as slang amongst the Urdu speaking intelligentsia in Mumbai. 

Point I'm trying to make is that there is far too much variation even within a language in our country. 

3 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

@Gollum

@nikred

Guys who have spent time in the Old City of Hyderabad maybe able to relate this post better.

There are these silver trinklet shops in the lanes leading up to the Charminar. I tried to negotiate ( don't judge me :p:) and the guy said something really fast. I just shrugged my shoulder to indicate that his wisdom was lost on me and he repeated the same thing again. I told him that I can't speak Telugu and if he could speak Hindi/Urdu. And he replied saying that he was speaking in Urdu. They call it Dakkhani, btw.

Even their written/print media Urdu is quite funny. That kind of language would pass off as slang amongst the Urdu speaking intelligentsia in Mumbai. 

Point I'm trying to make is that there is far too much variation even within a language in our country. 

Dakkhani is probably the funniest language I have ever heard.

4 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

Neither one of those points have anything to do with being/not being a ****-hole. 

We were not unified in language ever, yet we were one of the richest, educated and peaceful societies in the world. All the major Indian empires- they were a cornucopia of languages and cultures, not Chinese style one dominant language/culture. 

RSS is nothing more than a wanna-be organization that is changing hinduism in a copy-cat version of Islam and sharing some light Nazi tendencies. Nothing more than intellectually vacuous fellows trying to take down Hinduism and India to the level of Islamist jahilliyat. 

LOL... Well, practically  every bjp leader is a swayamsevak. Rss protects (or tries to protect)  India from  Islamic jahiliat, from selfish and intentionally blind people, and from the traitors/political appeasers. Sure they have some irrational people but none more so than those who compare the entire organization to Islam/Nazis.

4 hours ago, Gollum said:

Until the British rule never in Indian history except for a few decades during Muhammad Bin Tughlaq's reign and during Aurangzeb's reign was South a part of India as the boundaries are drawn today. Even North East wasn't part of this region which you call India today for 99 % of the timeline till 1947. Why should these 2 regions accept hegemony of Hindi over their traditional well established languages? I mean even tyrants like Firuz Shah Tughlaq and Aurangzeb didn't force the language issue so forcefully as the Centre is doing with Hindi since 1947. You can't expect Southies to just bend over and do what the cow belt commands. We never make attempts to learn about their culture or language but force them to submit to our authority, is it fair? How open are Northies who work down south? Bengaluru is over run by people from Bihar/UP who come here begging for jobs because their states don't have the aukaat to generate jobs. Then they come here, disrespect the local culture, refuse to learn 2 words in Kannada/Tamil because it is beneath their dignity...is that being open or what? Source of the issue is not from South India, Hindi bashing isn't the only thing at play here. Hindi bashing also happens in Maharashtra because Biharis/Upwallehs come flocking the maximum city for jobs but fail to respect the local sentiments. Is there no Madrasi bashing or Chinki bashing in NCR? Not a day goes by without racist attacks against so called chinkis in Delhi, waah bhai what an open and tolerant society !!!!!!! North Indians should learn to respect other cultures and not claim exclusivity over tolerance and diversity because quite frankly they seem to lack both those qualities.  

1. Not learning local language = disrespecting the culture? Explain. 

2. And are you being respectful to the Northies when you are saying we come 'begging'? 

Edited by randomGuy

1 hour ago, randomGuy said:

LOL... Well, practically  every bjp leader is a swayamsevak. Rss protects (or tries to protect)  India from  Islamic jahiliat, from selfish and intentionally blind people, and from the traitors/political appeasers. Sure they have some irrational people but none more so than those who compare the entire organization to Islam/Nazis.

They are copying the Nazi party in terms of brainwashing kids, making youth cadres, dictating social policies (without input from the masses etc). But they havn't carried out any pogroms on the scale of Nazis yet (though Godhra was similar), which is why I called them Nazi-lite.

As per Islamists- they have far more in common with Islamists than they wish to accept, by trying to streamline Hinduism by their own definitions only- a trait that Islamists are well known for. " A hindu should do this/not do this" is simply echoing the Islamist catch-call for what muslims should/should not do. They are trying to model Hinduism as basically Indian Islam, which is a deep betrayal of Hinduism itself. Hinduism never was (and still isn't) a linear bunch of ideologies, so I see RSS as traitors to Hinduism. Which is ironic, because I see myself only as a cultural Hindu not a religious one, in line with Veer Savarkar's classification of 'Hindu'.

When atheists say 'stop twisting this religion', you know something fecked up is going on with that bunch of people who are trying to modify/pervert said religion.

5 hours ago, someone said:

Seems like you don't want to get the point actually. Tamils can learn English fine and so Hindi should be fine by same logic. Unless again, you want to keep implying Tamils are not capable enough which is stupid there. I am comparing with English.

Only in urban areas, people learn English on their own will, not being forced ..mainly for practical purposes binnis, jobs etc. What is the need of learning hindi ? In rural areas, schools are still in Tamil medium. They travel to semi urban or district HQs to attend colleges. 

18 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Only in urban areas, people learn English on their own will, not being forced ..mainly for practical purposes binnis, jobs etc. What is the need of learning hindi ? In rural areas, schools are still in Tamil medium. They travel to semi urban or district HQs to attend colleges. 

This is one of the reasons I think India should promote English more than Hindi.

2 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

for one, the need to avoid the puke worthy english accent that a majority of indian males speak...but then, if they realised that their english sounds such, they won't be speaking it already.