Will Australian team have the same downfall as SriLanka if Smith - Warner banned for life?

There are rumors that Steve Smith and David Warner will be banned for life by CA. It will be an emotional decision on the part of CA and test cricket will be losing an ATG batsman. So if they happen to get the life ban, can Australian team survive without them or will turn become another Srilanka?

Edited by Austin 3:!6

They have lot of good ahletes and cricket still is a good profession. They will never be a SL. Windies have other problems that Australia does not face. India keeps it lively but cricket has very little appeal worldwide. T20 has helped some.

4 hours ago, YCCC said:

There will in time be new players to take up the mantle. The team most likely to do a SL or Windies is England.

Check my post on Aus...English  may go back to the 90s at worst but they will still be out there

Edited by maniac

No we won't be in the same basket as Lanka or Windies.

Australia in a sporting nation with a strong sporting culture.

Have a look at the Olympics or any sport for that matter.

Cricket is No 1 but we have rugby, soccer, AFL football, Tennis, hockey, in fact, we play almost all sports there is no clear Number 1 sport here.

Our sporting infrastructure is one of the best in the world for a small nation (population wise).

We have won more gold medals than India for example.

Edited by Hydra

No single person is bigger than the game. No one!! If Smith and Warner and banned for life, there will be some setback, but this Aussie team will survive. 

I do not know what the ideal punishment is but I do not know that CA and ICC need to set an example. This shyt has gone on too long. Manipulating the outcome of a game is almost as bad a match fixing. So if they were accused of match fixing, they would get a harsh sentence. This one deserves something similar. However, not a life ban. 

Although what they have done is sickening but it's not surprising, earlier they used to use their 12 the player, Umpires, media and some cheating Sydney gate and before that the NZ series, I don't think they should be banned for life, but there should be a very significant punishment, two year ban or something.

Even without these two, Australians will continue to be a very tough side to beat at home and slightly above average side away from home.

I anticipate Lehmann will be gone tomorrow, Smith will get a 6 month ban and barred from holding any leadership position ever, and Warner will be gone for 1 year.

They were in the team when they lost to SL 0-3. So both are being not in the team does not add big boost because there are plenty of talented youngsters waiting on the line. Big-bash produces good findings. Australia usually lays a good flat form for any sport. Aussies are never let down.