India refuse to play day-night Test against Australia this summer

a crowd of people watching a baseball game

© Sporting News

The Adelaide Test between Australia and India this summer will not be a day-night affair, with the BCCI refusing to contest the match under lights.

Cricket Australia had been in discussions with the Indian cricket board to stage a day-night Test at Adelaide Oval.

The venue has hosted pink-ball Test cricket for the past three seasons.

However, new tradition or not, the BCCI have canned any hopes of the two nations playing under lights this summer.

The ICC Playing Conditions state that a home nation can only host a day-night Test match "with the agreement of the Visiting Board".

The BCCI have also confirmed they want the match to played with a red ball.

India and Bangladesh are the only two current Test-playing nations to have avoided playing pink-ball cricket at the international level.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/cricket/india-refuse-to-play-day-night-test-against-australia-this-summer/ar-AAwV3yk?ocid=spartanntp

Edited by Hydra

A real pity. Would have been fun to watch our quicks esp Bhuvi with the brand new pink cherry under lights. Besides Aus batsmen are suspect against movement, would have played into our hands. Now watch a lifeless match meander to a meaningless draw, Adelaide day test is as boring as it gets because of the flatness of the pitch.  

4 minutes ago, Gollum said:

A real pity. Would have been fun to watch our quicks esp Bhuvi with the brand new pink cherry under lights. Besides Aus batsmen are suspect against movement, would have played into our hands. Now watch a lifeless match meander to a meaningless draw, Adelaide day test is as boring as it gets because of the flatness of the pitch.  

Yes but you are thinking positively, 

The pen pushing administrators are thinking of those gutless wonders of   batsmen being bowled out though .

I do hope Mr Shastri tells us why he has changed his mind in 3 months about day night test matches . 

The problem is BCCI comes across like stubborn child in this case. They need to be more friendly and I hate to say that BCCI has not handled responsibility that comes with success properly. It is just not day/night but DRS and other instances. BCCI is not wrong all the time but they do look arrogant in this instance.

1 hour ago, BeardedAladdin said:

Australia just refused to host Bangladesh saying that the series isn't commercially viable. Safe to say they don't give a **** about "growing the game". 

D/N tests aren't about "growing the game".  They're about growing their wallets.  Why should the Indian team even sacrifice even 1% of their winning chances for CA's wallet?

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

D/N tests aren't about "growing the game".  They're about growing their wallets.  Why should the Indian team even sacrifice even 1% of their winning chances for CA's wallet?

Do you think a D/N test will reduce our chances of winning the series? 

15 hours ago, Gollum said:

Our spinners won't get that much turn in the evening as they'd get with the sun shining. Also evenings would be much cooler & moisture will come into play helping pacers with side ways movement.

Aussies have played all their D/N tests in Adelaide & Brisbane till date & won all of them. Surely, the condition suits them. May be thats the reason BCCI isn't taking any chances.

I'd love to watch our boys in a D/N test giving it a try but if it means compromising Indian chances of winning first test series victory in Australia, then it is fair to decline the proposal. 

54 minutes ago, Turning_track said:

Our spinners won't get that much turn in the evening as they'd get with the sun shining. Also evenings would be much cooler & moisture will come into play helping pacers with side ways movement.

Aussies have played all their D/N tests in Adelaide & Brisbane till date & won all of them. Surely, the condition suits them. May be thats the reason BCCI isn't taking any chances.

I'd love to watch our boys in a D/N test giving it a try but if it means compromising Indian chances of winning first test series victory in Australia, then it is fair to decline the proposal. 

you do know we have pacers too? or you forgot that part? Bhuvi? Bhumrah? Umesh? Ishant? Shami?

1 hour ago, Turning_track said:

Their batsmen are FTBs and without Smith won't be able to handle our quicks. We won the 3rd test in SA without any spinner. I don't think we would be in much disadvantage tbh.

10 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Their batsmen are FTBs and without Smith won't be able to handle our quicks. We won the 3rd test in SA without any spinner. I don't think we would be in much disadvantage tbh.

but our batsmen have never played under lights with pink ball that is the difference. you cant just wake up and play a day night test with pink ball without getting used to it.

43 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

you do know we have pacers too? or you forgot that part? Bhuvi? Bhumrah? Umesh? Ishant? Shami?

No disrespect to our Indian bowlers, I'm not doubting their ability at all.

But considering the fact that questions were raised on reverse swing happening on a few times during Ashes when conditions were not conducive to it suggests something else. I still don't trust Cummins, Hazelwood, Starc, Lyon & co. 

10 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

but our batsmen have never played under lights with pink ball that is the difference. you cant just wake up and play a day night test with pink ball without getting used to it.

It's been happening since 2015, that's 2.5 years ........start practicing

17 hours ago, Gollum said:

From a relative probability perspective? Yes.  

IMHO, our team is better equipped to take advantage of the D/N conditions - putting aside experience, our batting and bowling both are well-equipped to handle it.  

But the pink ball conditions are a bit of a lottery - and increase the chances of one bad session going wrong for India, that could cost them the Adelaide test.  Contrast this to a regular 'day' test at Adelaide.  Given the historical nature of the track, the chances of India losing that one are way lower.  

26 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I won't call them FTBs. Their batters suddenly turn into beasts & they are accustomed a bit with playing the pink ball in the evening. For such an important series, I wouldn't want our team to face them suddenly in Adelaide/Brisbane under lights that too when we've got a chance to win the series in the absence of the Smith & Warner. 

41 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

It's been happening since 2015, that's 2.5 years ........start practicing

How many years did the "super sub" experiment run for?  Died off didn't it?

D/N tests are still very early into their experimental phase.  They are still tinkering with how many layers of lacquer on the ball, how much grass on the pitch etc.   

And the reality is that the D/N gimmick is more of a need for Eng/SA/Oz.  There are a lot of issues with dew that need to be addressed before it can be a realistic option in Asia.  

There is nothing in the ICC Cricket rule-book that mandates that all teams have to participate by force, in every gimmick that Eng/Aus throw out there, in an effort to earn more money.  

Next thing you'll be wanting other teams to "start practicing" the 16.4 nonsense that the ECB is inflicting on the "women and children".