What are some great movies that are based on real/historical events ?

Norman

There are so many, here are some good ones:

The Pianist

Green Book

JFK

Wolf Of Wall Street

Downfall (great German movie about Hitlers last few days)

Goodfellas

A Beautiful Mind

Catch Me If You Can

12 Years A Slave

The Imitation Game

Spartacus

The Pursuit Of Happiness

The Social Network

On 7/16/2019 at 10:50 PM, Norman said:

I've seen a few great movies in this genre like 300, Troy , Gladiator , Saving Private Ryan,  Tora Tora Tora , Dunkirk etc and honestly loved every one of them. I've always loved these real films as they carry the psychological edge of real life occurence and make the viewing more gripping. 

So, apart from those I mentioned above and a few other obvious choices like Schindler's list , Stalingrad etc. are there any other movies that are worth watching? 

Please suggest. :dance:

try ....

Pianist

Defiance

Guns of Navarone

African Queen

Letters from Iwo Jima

Pearl Harbor

Valkyrie

Life is Beautiful (One of the best war movie of father and son relationship upto date)

16 hours ago, velu said:

Munich - Israel undercover taking revenge for some bombing 

Pretty good

I found it a bit overrated. It was pretty much the same thing over and over again in regards to the assassinations.

I also found it hard to sympathise with the characters and their motives.

17 hours ago, Stradlater said:

Border by JP Dutta was pretty entertaining by crapwood standards despite the liberties taken with it. 

Though if I had to chose one,  I would go with either of The Pianist or Schindler's list,  esp the former. A true cinematic masterpieces. 

The Pianist is a great movie better than Schindler's List in my opinion. The wheelchair scene still shocks me.

Border has not aged well, the effects and editing are very dated.

Edited by Ranvir

On 7/17/2019 at 10:14 AM, Cricketics said:

Gaza. - people must watch, especially Indians who don't have a clue about the life of poor Palestinians and just blindly hate Palestine just because Israel has helped India overall with war against Pak. 

Here is the US, if you criticize the right wing govt of Israel, it is akin to anti-semitism!!!  :wall:

22 minutes ago, Audiophile said:

Here is the US, if you criticize the right wing govt of Israel, it is akin to anti-semitism!!!  :wall:

They are  b.s folks.  Also. as much I  have supported Palestinian people recently, I also would say that some of the Muslim community in USA too needs to calm the off down at times as they are solely focused on the people of their own religion. I am talking about American Muslims from Pakistan and other regions who just hate Israel with passion for sometimes random reason. They are ready to be anti-Israel for every random thing in the world, I mean they won't even talk to any Jew in USA at times. Funny thing is that Palestinians, are more tolerant in that regard and Palestinians in USA actually like to get along with Jews etc and are open to talk, but some people form other Muslim countries are more absurd. 

I think Palestinians deserve respect and need to be shown compassion for what their country has gone through, but some of these people from other middle eastern countries and people from countries like pak need to stfu. They make Palestinians look worse honestly. 

1 hour ago, diga said:

Been to Israel recently... could see the difference in life of Israelis & Palestinians clearly

I went few months ago too. Qalandia checkpoint is a shythole created by Israel. Absolutely miserable treatment there and they treat Palestinians likes slaves.

I am supposed to go again, both the areas are absolutely beautiful and worth visiting in general.

1 hour ago, Cricketics said:

I went few months ago too. Qalandia checkpoint is a shythole created by Israel. Absolutely miserable treatment there and they treat Palestinians likes slaves.

I am supposed to go again, both the areas are absolutely beautiful and worth visiting in general.

Visit the Masada & Ein Gedi and drive back to Jerusalem on the coastal road across dead sea..Quite beautiful