RANJI TROPHY 2019-20

Suhaan

In case anyone is wondering what happened to the "Sanju Samson century match", Bengal won convincingly by 8 wickets, and were unlucky to miss out on a bonus point (which explains why discussions about that match went very quiet). It was a performance typical of Bengal when they play well as a team - lots of bowlers getting 2-3 wickets, Abhishek Rahman and Manoj Tiwary (neither of whom will ever play for India again: Tiwary is fluent in Bengali - despite a slight accent - and I think there is atleast one interview of Abhishek Rahman conducted solely in Bengali, so he is also disqualified*) getting a 100 and 50 respectively, and so on.

* although now Ganguly is President, maybe there will be some change

Edited by abc
23 hours ago, abc said:

In case anyone is wondering what happened to the "Sanju Samson century match", Bengal won convincingly by 8 wickets, and were unlucky to miss out on a bonus point (which explains why discussions about that match went very quiet). It was a performance typical of Bengal when they play well as a team - lots of bowlers getting 2-3 wickets, Abhishek Rahman and Manoj Tiwary (neither of whom will ever play for India again: Tiwary is fluent in Bengali - despite a slight accent - and I think there is atleast one interview of Abhishek Rahman conducted solely in Bengali, so he is also disqualified*) getting a 100 and 50 respectively, and so on.

* although now Ganguly is President, maybe there will be some change

you mean Raman. Give him some time.  Can't break into the Indian team with FC average of under 40.  Abhimanyu Easwaran has the best chance but the top order is cramped.  Panchal and  Easwaran will need to wait patiently to get a break. 

8 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

There really needs to be some culling done for the elite division. Some really mediocre sides are here. Likes of Tripura, Services, Railways are absolutely useless right now. All losing embarrassingly. The relegation rules need to be stricter , will reduce useless stat padding for mediocre performers. 

On 12/20/2019 at 9:27 AM, Vickydev said:

There really needs to be some culling done for the elite division. Some really mediocre sides are here. Likes of Tripura, Services, Railways are absolutely useless right now. All losing embarrassingly. The relegation rules need to be stricter , will reduce useless stat padding for mediocre performers. 

The nomenclature for the groups is confusing and should be renamed.  There are actually three tiers. Should just rename them to Division 1 (Groups A,B), Division 2 (Group C), Division 3 (Group D)

Tier 1 (Groups A and B)

Tier 2 (Group C)

Tier 3 (Group D)

Group C is basically the “plate” group before the introduction of the new 8-9 teams.

Last 2 from Groups A,B and top two from Group C swap places at the end of the season. Last from Group C and top team from Group D swap places as well.

Edited by vice
typo
21 hours ago, vice said:

you mean Raman. Give him some time.  Can't break into the Indian team with FC average of under 40.  Abhimanyu Easwaran has the best chance but the top order is cramped.  Panchal and  Easwaran will need to wait patiently to get a break. 

Yes, I meant Raman. My point goes deeper: this Bengal line-up does not have clear-cut stars, with the possible exceptions of Manoj Tiwary and Ashoke Dinda (neither of whom will ever get selected). Porel and Easwaran are too young, they are more like talents.

Also, the real star was the bowling line-up. They dismissed Kerala for 115 in the second innings, and not one bowler took more than 3 wickets. It is great for the team that they can come up with such combined performances, but it also makes it easier to keep ignoring these players when it comes to higher representation.

Edited by abc
1 hour ago, abc said:

Yes, I meant Raman. My point goes deeper: this Bengal line-up does not have clear-cut stars, with the possible exceptions of Manoj Tiwary and Ashoke Dinda (neither of whom will ever get selected). Porel and Easwaran are too young, they are more like talents.

Also, the real star was the bowling line-up. They dismissed Kerala for 115 in the second innings, and not one bowler took more than 3 wickets. It is great for the team that they can come up with such combined performances, but it also makes it easier to keep ignoring these players when it comes to higher representation.

I think the more pertinent question is ... who among these players have the quality required for international cricket ?

Among the uncapped guys, only Porel seems to have that quality.  (   Tall hit-the-deck pacer who gets good bounce and seam movement with decent accuracy ... just needs to up his pace. )

Shami and Saha have that quality too.