Question-pedia - Ask away questions and get answers.

coffee_rules

20 minutes ago, Scarface said:

"Laaton ke bhoot baaton ...." - I assume the general meaning is "Some idiots don't listen and need to be beaten". But what is the full phrase and translation?

Laaton ki bhoot, baaton se nahin maante

Words are of no use to some, who can be straightened only by kicks (from the leg)

Edited by coffee_rules

3 hours ago, Autonomous said:

Why do indians generally like shoaib malik?

Because he doesn't come across as an asshole.  Seems like a normal nice guy, sincere even.  not a 'try hard' out to impress his home fanbase with extra hostility. Even his "all muslims" comment is sort of forgiven/forgotten because of that.  Maybe the fact that he's a bits and pieces role player, not really a player that threatens to win a match - that could also be part of it.

In reality most Indians can 'like' a lot of Pakistanis - Indians may talk a lot of trash, but are generally not grudge-holders.  

8 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Because he doesn't come across as an asshole.  Seems like a normal nice guy, sincere even.  not a 'try hard' out to impress his home fanbase with extra hostility. Even his "all muslims" comment is sort of forgiven/forgotten because of that.  Maybe the fact that he's a bits and pieces role player, not really a player that threatens to win a match - that could also be part of it.

In reality most Indians can 'like' a lot of Pakistanis - Indians may talk a lot of trash, but are generally not grudge-holders.  

I had zero hopes from him in CT2009 but he scored a hundred somehow. 

Malik was very average against pace but brutal against spin in his career.  

11 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Another interesting person is Misbah. 

The guy played an odd shot in 2007 T20WC although he played well. 

Second time, he went on to play a match losing innings in mohali.

I think he is also generally liked due to his persona. However is it also down to him not being able to pull it off against India? 

3 hours ago, Autonomous said:

I think he is also generally liked due to his persona. However is it also down to him not being able to pull it off against India? 

Naah.  Indians in general tend to respect quality players - Misbah was seen as a guy capable of winning a game, especially because he did it twice - tied the league stage game in that WC too, and almost won WC for Pakistan in the final.

That sort of fighting spirit fits in nicely with the legend of Javed Miandad's sharjah win etc.  So Misbah is seen in that vein.  Personally, I could see an educated smart player, who was trying to do a good job for his team, surrounded by inconsistent unreliable wannabe 'superstars' - bought him sympathy.   I'm not blind to Misbah's flaws - he clearly could be stubborn, and even selfish at times.  But overall he was a guy who added value to his team - both as player and captain.

How do "south Indians" define what a "north Indian" is?  I remember a guy I used to work with - he was from Chennai - referred to me as a "North Indian", and I was quite surprised - I'm from Bombay, with gujju roots - never considered myself north Indian - in my head, that's UP/Punjab, Himachal, Haryana etc.  But is Maharashtra/Gujarat really considered "north Indian" by madrasis, mallus etc?

1 minute ago, sandeep said:

Naah.  Indians in general tend to respect quality players - Misbah was seen as a guy capable of winning a game, especially because he did it twice - tied the league stage game in that WC too, and almost won WC for Pakistan in the final.

That sort of fighting spirit fits in nicely with the legend of Javed Miandad's sharjah win etc.  So Misbah is seen in that vein.  Personally, I could see an educated smart player, who was trying to do a good job for his team, surrounded by inconsistent unreliable wannabe 'superstars' - bought him sympathy.   I'm not blind to Misbah's flaws - he clearly could be stubborn, and even selfish at times.  But overall he was a guy who added value to his team - both as player and captain.

Do you think Misbah "feasted" on UAE wickets and made use of the situation (Spot fixing saga in 2010 and no home cricket hence UAE) to his benefit?

Consider that he retires 40+ which also sets a bad precedent in a way that many players would try to "linger on"? Also consider that during the time (2013-2015), Haris Sohail was piling tons of runs. 

14 minutes ago, sandeep said:

How do "south Indians" define what a "north Indian" is?  I remember a guy I used to work with - he was from Chennai - referred to me as a "North Indian", and I was quite surprised - I'm from Bombay, with gujju roots - never considered myself north Indian - in my head, that's UP/Punjab, Himachal, Haryana etc.  But is Maharashtra/Gujarat really considered "north Indian" by madrasis, mallus etc?

All blokes outside of the five states are north Indians. South is only TN, Kerala, AP, Telengana and Karnataka I count Pondy as TN.  Only people from NCR, UP, Bihar, Haryana and Punjab are Bloody North Indians, rest are just North Indians.

Edited by coffee_rules

18 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Anyone to the north of KN, TG and AP is a North Indian to most of us. :p:

We had a guy from Orissa during college who used to get so offended for some reason whenever someone called him a North Indian. We always wondered what the fuk is wrong with him. Later realized we were the dumbos.:phehe: