Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rkt.india

Vijay Shankar: I want to be a genuine allrounder

68 posts in this topic
3 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

What is the use of two spinners when even one has been useless for us in Eng/Aus/NZ, etc. It should be 3 pacers, 1 pacer allrounder and 1 spinner.

 

No one is saying to play bits and pieces cricketer. A player averaging 50 in FC is a proper bat. Likes of Vijay, Sehwag, Ganguly, etc. did not even have that 50 average. Just because we have had someone like Binny who is a bits and pieces cricketer (averaging 34 with both bat and ball), it doesnt mean we stop looking for potential pacer allrounders.

I never said to stop looking for all rounders but what you do not want to do is try to create one. Three fast bowlers are more than enough, I would take my chances with two very good spinners who can bat a bit over player who is averaging 40  with ball and has taken just 21  wickets in five years.He should be taking more that in one season.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

Again I am not saying Shankar or Pandya is the answer. But no harm giving them chances in A games and practice matches to see where they stand. Atleast that's what the team management believes as well.

He should get his chances but he is already 26 and fast bowlers tend to lose steam by 30.

Share this post


Link to post
Not necessarily. There are loads of pacers who have debuted after 25 and gone on to play for many years.

Like who?

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post

ID: 57   Posted (edited)

22 hours ago, putrevus said:

He should get his chances but he is already 26 and fast bowlers tend to lose steam by 30.

Not nowadays..... most pacers these days are bowling at almost full pace till 34 or thereabouts.

 

Fitness level have gone up a lot, especially among the 30+ guys

Edited by express bowling

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, express bowling said:

Not nowadays..... most pacers these days are bowling at almost full pace till 34 or thereabouts.

 

Fitness level have gone up a lot, especially among the 30+ guys

He is not a pacer , he is at best 125 k bowler with over 40 bowling average and has taken just 21 wickets in five seasons, in what world are those figures suggesting that he will do a competent job as an allounder for Indian team.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, putrevus said:

He is not a pacer , he is at best 125 k bowler with over 40 bowling average and has taken just 21 wickets in five seasons, in what world are those figures suggesting that he will do a competent job as an allounder for Indian team.

He is perhaps one of those seamers who is bowling better this season and was not that good earlier.

 

Saw him bowl in a FC match and he was no worse than TN's front-line seamers.

 

He will not make it as a bowler or a bowling all-rounder..... but can make it to the team as a batsman who can bowl a few overs.

 

His advantage is that he has a FC average of 49 and plays like a proper batsman....ca hit the ball big too.

 

So, basically,  a batsman who can bowl.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, express bowling said:

He is perhaps one of those seamers who is bowling better this season and was not that good earlier.

 

Saw him bowl in a FC match and he was no worse than TN's front-line seamers.

 

He will not make it as a bowler or a bowling all-rounder..... but can make it to the team as a batsman who can bowl a few overs.

 

His advantage is that he has a FC average of 49 and plays like a proper batsman....ca hit the ball big too.

 

So, basically,  a batsman who can bowl.

 

 

 

He plays most of his games in Chennai, where that pitch is flat as pancake , I do not think his batting average is an indication of his ability.I do not see where he has impressed with either bat or ball this season to be even discussed for Indian team.India A is another story.

People who are saying what has Pandya done, well he has not anything spectacular in FC cricket but he is always in minds of selectors because he plays other forms of cricket and that is the advantage players like him have. Jadeja and Ashwin got into test team based on their exploits in short forms only.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, putrevus said:

He plays most of his games in Chennai, where that pitch is flat as pancake , I do not think his batting average is an indication of his ability.I do not see where he has impressed with either bat or ball this season to be even discussed for Indian team.India A is another story.

People who are saying what has Pandya done, well he has not anything spectacular in FC cricket but he is always in minds of selectors because he plays other forms of cricket and that is the advantage players like him have. Jadeja and Ashwin got into test team based on their exploits in short forms only.

 

Shankar looked good in the SMA Trophy and was hitting 135 K + balls for 6s while picking up crucial wickets.

 

He also scored a 103 n.o very  quickly against the Bangladesh team in the 2 day match

 

it is possible that he is an improved player this year

 

Let's see if he does well in the IPL  against international bowlers

 

We will get a better idea about him then

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

It doesn't matter what we feel about Shankar especially since he is into consideration by management. I heard commentators saying during one match that dravid is specifically monitoring him and is quite impressed. He will surely be fast tracked if he shows even few signs of improvement in his bowling and that will also keep Pandya on toes to be not complacent.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, putrevus said:

He plays most of his games in Chennai, where that pitch is flat as pancake , I do not think his batting average is an indication of his ability.I do not see where he has impressed with either bat or ball this season to be even discussed for Indian team.India A is another story.

People who are saying what has Pandya done, well he has not anything spectacular in FC cricket but he is always in minds of selectors because he plays other forms of cricket and that is the advantage players like him have. Jadeja and Ashwin got into test team based on their exploits in short forms only.

     For a serious cricket fan who has played at some level of cricket its very obvious the batting abilitiy  of Shankar .

     Looking at some of the comments its clear some people just want to blurt out bu ** it  without a good understanding of the game .

     May be thy have a look at  averages  and then have GO  here in this forum !!!    

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, prudent_kreeda said:

     For a serious cricket fan who has played at some level of cricket its very obvious the batting abilitiy  of Shankar .

     Looking at some of the comments its clear some people just want to blurt out bu ** it  without a good understanding of the game .

     May be thy have a look at  averages  and then have GO  here in this forum !!!    

 

I think many people have not seen him bat, hence the reaction.

 

In the telecasted Ranji game featuring Tamil Nadu, Shankar was batting properly, like a good batsman does. His innings was filled with strokes too.    In the T20 games, he displayed the ability to hit 135 k + seamers for big hits.  batting talent is obviously there.

 

His defensive game is unknown to me though, especially against quicks.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, express bowling said:

 

I think many people have not seen him bat, hence the reaction.

 

In the telecasted Ranji game featuring Tamil Nadu, Shankar was batting properly, like a good batsman does. His innings was filled with strokes too.    In the T20 games, he displayed the ability to hit 135 k + seamers for big hits.  batting talent is obviously there.

 

His defensive game is unknown to me though, especially against quicks.

Whatever i have seen of him i think he ll struggle against full incoming ball as his front feet doesnt move much. Which will b problem if he chases ball outside off. 

But also what matters in his case is that his batting is way better than PAndya. 

Pandya is a better bowler......now depends on team which area they wanna boost batting or bowling

Share this post


Link to post

V Shankar is a technically sound batsmen with good strokes as well, organised, knows his game n has time to play shots, he is someone like Pujara in terms of more of a test batsmen but lately also has done well in limited formats.He will be a batsmen who can play in diff conditions also can play n keep out good bowlers n deliveries, will def be a good test bat.

His bowling has few positives , a good action, control, is a strong ,tallish bowler n bowls a heavy ball, is accurate n a thinking cricketer, he will def be a good limited over bowler as he is accurate n bowls to a plan, also he is not a stop gap bowler like Binny but can play as a third or 4 bowler in conditions, bowls from 130 to 135 k but gets some bounce n pace of wkt, also see him get quicker as he bowls in int cricket as he is a motivated cricketer.

Shankar n Pandya will serve India for long as allrounders barring injury, also 26 to 27 is not old these days n he already is experienced , bowlers with the modern training n fitness levels peak at 28 to 34 n can well play until 36 to 37

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0