Dhoni vs Yuvraj singh. Better ODI Player Acc to you?

While Discussing Ind vs Sa warmup game read someone post, that out of form yuvraj is better than dhoni. Lets agree both have been gr8 Odi batsman n wud feature in top 5 indian batsman for ODi but ques is who is ahead. I have always had this discussion with my frends who believed that yuvraj is way superior than dhoni as batsman. But i have strongely disagreed to the fact. I beilve when both of them are judged , they judge on ability but when it comes to perfomances dhoni has been extremely consistent and never have really gone through a bad patch.

Over all stats

Yuvraj- 268 innings, 8329 runs, 36.37 avg and 87 S/r, balls faced- 9547

Dhoni -241 innings, 8918 runs, 51.25 avg and 89 S/r, balls faced- 9989

A lot ppl say, dhoni remains not out hence better avg. But how about this Dhoni has almost 600 runs more in 27 less innings and we all know dhoni has batted at 5,6 most of his career n yuvraj mostly 4,5 .  N if u see balls faced, Dhoni has faced more balls that in less matches means whenever he got opp he did  throw his wkt away, where yuvraj cud have easily being played more matches cud have spend more time on wkt. 

Away record

Dhoni -  148 innings, 5125 runs , avg of 46.17

Yuvraj- 167 innings,5032 runs and avg of 34

Again Dhoni has played less innigs but more runs and avgs. 

Avg in diff countries

Aus- Dhoni -40, Yuvraj- 30

Eng- Dhoni-32, Yuvraj -30

NZ- Dhoni 90, Yuvraj-21

SA -Dhoni-25, Yuvraj 23

SL- Dhoni-44, Yuvraj 34

India- Dhoni- 60 , Yuvraj- 40

Pakistan-Dhoni- 136, Yuvraj 64

Bang- Dhoni- 55, Yuvraj- 35

Zimb-Dhoni-57, yuvraj 43

The reason i took avg becoz, They both bat at diff number and its unfair to compare runs in that matters. And there is diff btw number of matches so there can be a lot of ifs n buts. A lot of ppl wud say dhoni remains not out hence such avgs, ok fair enough but doesnt a batsman batting high have a chance to score more runs and also time to get it. And as we can see in overall stats its dhoni who has score more runs in less innnings . Also what ppl wnt consider at batsman batting at 6 has to come n slog straight away most times and gets to bats mostly in last 10 overs so hence it better to gi with avg. But Even if we leave all this aside, yuvraj singh avg in away in many countries are quite quite poor. N again one more point if its that easy to avg that gud batting so low how many players do u see with that avg at 5,6,7

Now Speaking of batting position Lets compare both

Opening- Dhoni-49, Yuvi- 9 ( both played 2-2 games, equal chance)

No 3- Dhoni - 82, Yuvraj-33 ( Dhoni played 16, yuvraj- 14 games but i can tell dhoni only 2 innings of 148 n 183 wud be almost of what yuvraj scored at 3)

No 4- Dhoni-64, Yuvraj-34 ( Now this is were Yuvraj gets to play 99 games at 4 n dhoni only 23. Now if dhoni wud have played that many games at 4 u can                                                    imagine the diff in their stats)

No-5 Dhoni-53, yuvraj- 39 ( Yuvraj has played 91 games and dhoni 57, again i repeat what if dhoni had played more games there )

No-6 Dhoni 45, yuvraj-36 ( As u can see the whole theory of dhoni batting late and hence remaning not out is quite Flawed as his avg Falls at no 6, Still quite                                             gud for no 6 , And if Remaining not out is the key who stopped yuvraj singh.)

No 7- Dhoni 47, Yuvraj -31( Dhoni Played 28 games at 7 n yuvraj just 3, Now if yuvraj had to play that many games at 7, Imagine how bad his stats wud b)

While Chasing n batting 1st

Chasing- Dhoni avg 52, yuvraj36

Batting 1st- Dhoni -50, yuvraj- 36

In Indian Victories

Dhoni avg-73, Yuvraj-49

Now Lets see other facets in Odi game

1. Overall Consistency- Dhoni Wins. Ull hardly see a bad yr in dhoni ODi career but in yuvraj case early part n later part were bad struggles

2. Hitting, S/r- At his peek yuvraj but Dhoni When he came was better and during later part also way ahead. 

3- Against Pace n Spin- Yuvraj was gud against pace n dhoni against spin when they came. But yuvraj was horrible against spin n dhoni was pretty decent against pace. Dhoni got better against pace and spin was never his weakness. Yuvraj got better against spin but quite late and cudnt continue , infact in later part of career started struggling against pace also. Having said that yuvraj at one point was the best player of pace bowling i saw in Indian team. 

4. ICC ranking- Dhoni was No 1 batsman for quite a long time n post that ull always find him in top 10 or top 5. Not the same case with yuvraj. Now a Middle order batsman has more chances than lower order to be in rankings. Those ranking does look beyond avgs

Now its open to discussion, u might not agree with me. Add your opinions and better if you provide proper stats

Overall ill say Yuvraj has been one of India greatest ODi player m not questioning that but i feel Dhoni i slightly ahead of him when we compare two.

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

1.Also Dhoni had a captaincy burden of test, Odi, N t20 n ipl. Which m sure if yuvraj wud have been a captain his perfomances wud have gone down.

2. Dhoni has had a role of floater and has done well in all position, whereas yuvraj was better once given a proper position.

3. Dhoni I feel did debut late than a yr or so coz of ganguly persistence with parthiv patel n karthik that time. That one yr wud  again have made a hud diff to dhoni stats.

4. Yuvraj came from Punjab which had far better facilities than the state cricket of Jharkhand . 

But again cricket is more about temperament than abilities, talent, facilities, oppurtunities and many more things

1.Also Dhoni had a captaincy burden of test, Odi, N t20 n ipl. Which m sure if yuvraj wud have been a captain his perfomances wud have gone down.

2. Dhoni has had a role of floater and has done well in all position, whereas yuvraj was better once given a proper position.

3. Dhoni I feel did debut late than a yr or so coz of ganguly persistence with parthiv patel n karthik that time. That one yr wud  again have made a hud diff to dhoni stats.

4. Yuvraj came from Punjab which had far better facilities than the state cricket of Jharkhand . 

But again cricket is more about temperament than abilities, talent, facilities, oppurtunities and many more things

The way he left his Test career was shocking to even his critics was something I will always remember. His timing there was impeccable and I believe he made an excellent decision. Even today, he is a match winner just like Kohli in this current LOI team.

Only haters will talk crap.. We got bunch of them here

Do not take those Trolls seriously bro

"that out of form yuvraj is better than dhoni" - :facepalm:

No no it was not for that troll, I have had the debate with so many of frends n ppl around n they all have been of other opinion and even if u go in general public ppl will tell Yuvraj was better coz he won u two Wcs and all . As if ppl like Zaheer khan, rp singh, Gambhir , Sachin, Irfan pathan and other didnt do  anything. N a lot of hooplah was created during 2015WC when yuvraj was not picked. A very comman perception that came dhoni was jls of seniors and specially from yuvraj singh as he will take away his limelight. And m not talking about yograj singh it was a comman perception in public, media and few ex cricketers as well. Thats y i have gr8 regards for sehwag who recently came n said that he was fairely dropped. Anyways so i thoughts this could be an interesting debate but till now its been pretty one sided. I would love if someone shows me something imp aspects which im missing. 

In LOIs, Yuvraj has played some amazing match winning knocks starting from his debut vs Aus in 2000. Zak also debuted in that match iirc. I still remember the yorker that he bowled to Waugh.

In 2002, he played that innings with Kaif to help Ind win the Natwest  Trophy.

In 2004, iirc, he and Laxman hit100s to help Ind to a big total at Brisbane. IND lost that game though but Ind was being competitive in batting

In 2007, he hit those 6 sixes in WT20

In 2011 WC, his performance was again brilliant

So in big tourneys, Yuvi has done well esp in Group games. 

Not everyone goes by stats so it is understandable if many rate Yuvraj higher than Dhoni. Yuvraj as an impact player has been exceptional 

Edited by rett

In LOIs, Yuvraj has played some amazing match winning knocks starting from his debut vs Aus in 2000. Zak also debuted in that match iirc. I still remember the yorker that he bowled to Waugh.

In 2004, iirc, he and Laramie hit100s to help Ind to a big total at Brisbane. IND lost that game though

Not everyone goes by stats so it is understandable if many rate Yuvraj higher than Dhoni. Yuvraj as an impact player has been exceptional 

First time I heard someone refer to Laxman as Laramie... Any significance or is it just random?

It was Sydney by the way. 

First time I heard someone refer to Laxman as Laramie... Any significance or is it just random?

It was Sydney by the way. 

Spell check on the phone changed it 

I guess it was Laxman and Dravid then who did well in Brisbane 

In 2004, iirc, he and Laxman hit100s to help Ind to a big total at Brisbane. IND lost that game though but Ind was being competitive in batting

So in big tourneys, Yuvi has done well esp in Group games. 

Yes no one is denying these innings, and their importance. And i admire teh sheer quality of those innings

Specially his innings against aus in 2004 , aus tour n that 100 he made when aus came to india in 2007. 

But then when u talk about overall cricket, Dhoni leaves behind yuvraj in consistency.

Now post his debut , he struggled till 2002 completely. 

His peek started around 2005 end, which lasted till 2008 which isnt that long and Then 2011 Wc which again if u see is one tournament only. 

Thats where Yuvraj singh underperformed for me. HE was a gr8 match winner but had he been consistent he wud have done a lot

And those avg overseas are still by any means gud. 

And i really dont understand this impact thing , when ppl say yuvraj has been an impact player. But then why dnt we give other impact players those credit

In 2007, t20wc- M not taking credit away from yuvraj, But two impact full innings were even played by rohit n GAmbhir. N how do ppl measure the impact that rp singh n irfan pathan had in every game. Yuvraj innings against aus of 70 was magnificent for me almost best t20 innings by an indian but again how do u deny in same match the impact of sreesanth 4 overs which were quite unplayble

In 2011- again not taking anything away from yuvraj singh contribution . What about the impact of Zaheer khan in beg n end overs.

In 2013- Dhawan n Jadeja. N these two guys r still heavily trolled

Yes no one is denying these innings, and their importance. And i admire teh sheer quality of those innings

Specially his innings against aus in 2004 , aus tour n that 100 he made when aus came to india in 2007. 

But then when u talk about overall cricket, Dhoni leaves behind yuvraj in consistency.

Now post his debut , he struggled till 2002 completely. 

His peek started around 2005 end, which lasted till 2008 which isnt that long and Then 2011 Wc which again if u see is one tournament only. 

Thats where Yuvraj singh underperformed for me. HE was a gr8 match winner but had he been consistent he wud have done a lot

And those avg overseas are still by any means gud. 

And i really dont understand this impact thing , when ppl say yuvraj has been an impact player. But then why dnt we give other impact players those credit

In 2007, t20wc- M not taking credit away from yuvraj, But two impact full innings were even played by rohit n GAmbhir. N how do ppl measure the impact that rp singh n irfan pathan had in every game. Yuvraj innings against aus of 70 was magnificent for me almost best t20 innings by an indian but again how do u deny in same match the impact of sreesanth 4 overs which were quite unplayble

In 2011- again not taking anything away from yuvraj singh contribution . What about the impact of Zaheer khan in beg n end overs.

In 2013- Dhawan n Jadeja. N these two guys r still heavily trolled

I agree .... However if people rate Yuvi higher it is understandable too .... For e,g. it is hard to rate the impact of players such as Kapil and Sehwag on stats alone

And just looking at stats alone can be misleading at times as:

Case A - 80, 60 and 10 = Avg of 50 

Case B - 110*, 35 and 5 = Avg of 75 

Well for me its dhoni ,mind you even yuvi was a great match winner.

Both were fabulous odi packages.one was a great fielder in his prime,a useful part timer and a great batsmen ,the other a good wkt keeper,a street smart captain and a great finisher.

talent and ability wise yuvi is much ahead of Dhoni but from what they have achieved,I believe dhoni is a better odi player than yuvi (not by miles though) ,both were awesome for india.

If you had to pick one for the world eleven,it'd be dhoni (even soully as a batsman)