India squad of 15 for Champions Trophy '17-Probables

If we are also seeking to develop team for the 2019 WC, it would not be a bad idea to take a couple of youngsters, who are in the long term plans, to CT as it is the last major tourney before the WC .... the exposure to the atmosphere of such tourneys can help them prepare better 

Whatever he does Rohit will be an automatic choice in the squad.Choice will be b/w KL and Shikhar.If

they select 3 openers in the squad both of them will be there.Middle order will be similar to the last ODI

series we played and Virat,Yuvi,MSD and Kedar will be our 3,4,5 and 6.At 7 Hardik is sure to play while

Jadeja will be at 8.2 seamers should be Bumrah and Shami.But I'm not convinced about Shami's fitness

so BK along with Bumrah.If we play a 2nd spinner that will be Ashwin but he's also doubtful,if he's not fit

Kuldeep is my choice over Chahal and Axar.3rd seamer should be Umesh.I'd pick Pant over Manish coz he can

keep and also bat at the top and in the middle.Good hitter at the end.

So it'll probably look like this:-

First XI:- Rohit,Rahul,Kohli,Yuvraj,Dhoni,Kedar,Hardik,Jadeja,Ashwin(if fit),Shami(if fit),Bumrah.

Reserves:- Dhawan,Pant,BK,Umesh.

Stand by:-Manish,Kuldeep,Aaron.

Edited by ShebbySB
On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:17 PM, vishalvirsingh said:

I will wanna select after IPL.

Msd is looking in bad form...makes sense to play pant as keeper because rishabh looks in supreme form and he is ready to replace msd as msd is in bad form till now.

Shammi still seems unfit..still not playing IPL.

Hardik is a must.

Krunnal pandya is not required in England.

Nehra can also be considered.

Bumrah umesh bhuvi are sure to be picked.

Jadeja should be picked n ashwin rested.

Spinners won't get anything in england.

One new pacer should be selected too.

I like ankit rajpoot the most as ishant won't be played.

Rahane virat dhawan kl rahul manish pandey kedar n vijay Shankar n hardik

spinners won us the the CT last time,you guys have short memories.

3 hours ago, cowboysfan said:

spinners won us the the CT last time,you guys have short memories.

There's no way England will have tracks like last time around that the ball gripped on.  ECB don't have short memories.  There was a lot of crying about the pitch for that final.  "New" England is built around flat tracks where their batting aims for 400.  Every game.  Expect concrete roads where the ball will not turn much.  Its going to be all about variations and slower ones.   Bumrah will do well, so will Bhuvi if he plays.  Yadav shouldn't.  That's not a knock on our most improved test bowler this year - he's gotten quite good in all formats.  But he doesn't have the pace variations and the variety mix that white ball cricket at the highest level demands.  Even a fit Shami may not be all that good.  

Kuldeep Yadav should be in the CT squad - Can't think of any other wrist spinner that deserves to be in there - Mishra's time at the top level is done I think, and Chahal may not be ready yet for total flat tracks.  

On 4/15/2017 at 6:09 PM, ShebbySB said:

Whatever he does Rohit will be an automatic choice in the squad.Choice will be b/w KL and Shikhar.If

they select 3 openers in the squad both of them will be there.Middle order will be similar to the last ODI

series we played and Virat,Yuvi,MSD and Kedar will be our 3,4,5 and 6.At 7 Hardik is sure to play while

Jadeja will be at 8.2 seamers should be Bumrah and Shami.But I'm not convinced about Shami's fitness

so BK along with Bumrah.If we play a 2nd spinner that will be Ashwin but he's also doubtful,if he's not fit

Kuldeep is my choice over Chahal and Axar.3rd seamer should be Umesh.I'd pick Pant over Manish coz he can

keep and also bat at the top and in the middle.Good hitter at the end.

So it'll probably look like this:-

First XI:- Rohit,Rahul,Kohli,Yuvraj,Dhoni,Kedar,Hardik,Jadeja,Ashwin(if fit),Shami(if fit),Bumrah.

Reserves:- Dhawan,Pant,BK,Umesh.

Stand by:-Manish,Kuldeep,Aaron.

Plzzz No Aaron, rather take thampy......I wud have said sran but he has just gotten out of an injury after long

On current form and fitness:

Starting XI:  Dhawan, Rahane, VK, Dhoni, Yuvraj, Jadhav, Hardik, Jadeja, Bhuvi,  Kuldeep/Shami , Bumrah

Reserves:  Rohit, Manish Pandey, Shami/Kuldeep,  Yadav.

• Rahane is a controversial pick for ODI Opener, but the guy is in the form of his life.  And Rahul and Rohit both are coming back from surgery and yet to really show fluency.  However if Talunt demonstrates that he's back to 100% and in form, then I'd drop Rahane from the squad all together.  May pick Rahul over Rahane for the squad at that point, if he's fully fit and in form.  

• With Jadhav able to keep wickets in a pinch, I don't think there's need to carry a second 'keeper in the squad of 15 - Rishabh/Samson/Karthik can be flown in, in case of dire need.  

• With Hardik Pandya playing at #7, and the lack of part-time spin options in the top 6, I think playing 2 spinners may be a risk worth taking, unless the wicket nullifies spin.  I see Bhuvi and Bumrah as our 2 best white ball bowlers, followed by Shami.   Too bad we don't have a quality left-armer other than old man Nehra, and the raw rookies Sran etc.  

• Unlucky for Ashwin to not make the squad, but 15 is tight.  And we need a 4th pacer in the squad more than a 3rd spinner.  Jadeja edges Ash in ODIs considering no help on the wicket for spin, plus fielding and batting.  Plus, I believe Kuldeep needs the exposure to play in England ahead of WC 2019, and he may well be a more effective wicket-taking option too.   

• Ashwin, Rishabh would make my squad of 17.  Would love for Rishabh to play in England ahead of the 2019 World Cup.  I'm sure he will though at some point.  
2 hours ago, BCCI said:

^Rahane in the form of his life ,WTF?

Better than Rohit and Rahul for sure at the moment. Has the experience and proven batting ability at the highest level - can be counted on to hit boundaries during power plays.  His weaknesses are a tendency to throw it away after crossing 30-40 odd, and being absolutely poor as a middle-order batsman.  

20 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Better than Rohit and Rahul for sure at the moment. Has the experience and proven batting ability at the highest level - can be counted on to hit boundaries during power plays.  His weaknesses are a tendency to throw it away after crossing 30-40 odd, and being absolutely poor as a middle-order batsman.  

Form of his life was a real hyperbole and surely we have better limited overs cricketers than Rahane.I dont think he deserves a spot even in the 15.

1 hour ago, BCCI said:

Form of his life was a real hyperbole and surely we have better limited overs cricketers than Rahane.I dont think he deserves a spot even in the 15.

He doesn't if Rohit or Rahul is fully fit and firing on all cylinders.  But they are not.  I said he wouldn't make the squad if that was the case.

2 minutes ago, sandeep said:

He doesn't if Rohit or Rahul is fully fit and firing on all cylinders.  But they are not.  I said he wouldn't make the squad if that was the case.

I hope both are fit.Even if they are not we have more players to choose from.Mostly looks like a Dhawan-Rohit combo like 2013.

1 hour ago, BCCI said:

I hope both are fit.Even if they are not we have more players to choose from.Mostly looks like a Dhawan-Rohit combo like 2013.

Rahane's the 4th best ODI opener option for India - Out of the 1st 3, only Dhawan has demonstrated form and fitness.   Who would you rather have?  Faiz Fazal or Mandeep Singh?  A fit Rohit, who's played a bunch of games and is in decent form, sure, is ahead of Rahane.  But not a lot of others are.  But Talunt has do a lot more before he is an automatic starter for Team India for the Champion's trophy.  

3 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Rahane's the 4th best ODI opener option for India - Out of the 1st 3, only Dhawan has demonstrated form and fitness.   Who would you rather have?  Faiz Fazal or Mandeep Singh?  A fit Rohit, who's played a bunch of games and is in decent form, sure, is ahead of Rahane.  But not a lot of others are.  But Talunt has do a lot more before he is an automatic starter for Team India for the Champion's trophy.  

You must be kidding if you dont think Rohit will come straight away in the 11.Kohli loves him just as much as the previous captain.

With regards to openers,I ll pick Rohit,Rahul and Dhawan(not a big fan of his).I would throw in a curve ball and pick Rishabh but obviously thats not gonna happen.

3 hours ago, sandeep said:

There's no way England will have tracks like last time around that the ball gripped on.  ECB don't have short memories.  There was a lot of crying about the pitch for that final.  "New" England is built around flat tracks where their batting aims for 400.  Every game.  Expect concrete roads where the ball will not turn much.  Its going to be all about variations and slower ones.   Bumrah will do well, so will Bhuvi if he plays.  Yadav shouldn't.  That's not a knock on our most improved test bowler this year - he's gotten quite good in all formats.  But he doesn't have the pace variations and the variety mix that white ball cricket at the highest level demands.  Even a fit Shami may not be all that good.  

Kuldeep Yadav should be in the CT squad - Can't think of any other wrist spinner that deserves to be in there - Mishra's time at the top level is done I think, and Chahal may not be ready yet for total flat tracks.  

I think ICC is in charge of the tracks but I expect flatter tracks too but spinners will play a role.

2 hours ago, BCCI said:

You must be kidding if you dont think Rohit will come straight away in the 11.Kohli loves him just as much as the previous captain.

With regards to openers,I ll pick Rohit,Rahul and Dhawan(not a big fan of his).I would throw in a curve ball and pick Rishabh but obviously thats not gonna happen.

Agree that VK has a lot of love for talunt.   But if the tournament starts today, Rahane as of today is a slightly better choice.  Hopefully, by the time the IPL is done, talunt finds some form and flow in his batting - when Maggi gets going, he does do pretty well.   But he's a feast or famine kinda guy, and if he's not in good nick, then I'd rather go with Rahane - knowing his flaws and all.  Pant?  I think if we want to see him as an opener in ODIs, first we need to give him a home series etc before just throwing him in for such a big tournament.  Wouldn't want him scarred with an early failure or two.   Rahul AFAIK is still recovering and rehabbing from injury, so until he starts playing cricket at a high level, he can't even be considered.  

2 hours ago, cowboysfan said:

I think ICC is in charge of the tracks but I expect flatter tracks too but spinners will play a role.

Sure they will - but the ICC can't change ODI tracks in England overnight - look at the ODI stats for the last couple of years played in England - all high scoring games on absolute roads.  

Its a headache which 2 spinners to pick out of Jadeja, Ashwin and Kuldeep in my opinion - a nice one, but a tough call.  Add Yuvi's useful part-time left-armers in the mix, and it gets even more of a khichdi.  For me, its a big temptation to go with Kuldeep as the x-factor, and go with one of Jaddu and Ash.   And since Kuldeep turns the ball the same way as Ash, I'll go with Jaddu with his all-world fielding coming in as a bonus  as well.  

As others have pointed out - with Bumrah, Bhuvi, Shami as the main pacers, quality spin options and Hardik and Yuvi as part-time options - our bowling looks stronger than it has in a while - its the batting that's at risk of getting out-gunned.  Especially if our openers are unable to really set the tone.   And the middle-order carrying 2 aging players who are on the downside of their careers.

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

As others have pointed out - with Bumrah, Bhuvi, Shami as the main pacers, quality spin options and Hardik and Yuvi as part-time options - our bowling looks stronger than it has in a while - its the batting that's at risk of getting out-gunned.  Especially if our openers are unable to really set the tone.   And the middle-order carrying 2 aging players who are on the downside of their careers.

That's being charitable, in sporting terms they are done.

Looks like the tables have turned and Eng select younger and explosive players while the Ind selectors head to the local recycling centre and retirement home.