BCCI announces India squad for Champions Trophy 2017

Is the Indian CT2017 squad selection satisfactory?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Are you overall happy with the CT2017 indian Squad?

• Yes
    • No

2 minutes ago, DDfan2017 said:

Spinners averaging 32 and 35 with economy close to 5 can't be the two frontline spinners. In fact Ashwin has already had a longer run in ODIs than he deserves. Should be kept exclusively for test matches, like Herath, Yasir, Lyon.

Who is better than them???  Jadeja is such a plus in the field and is very handy no 8. 

4 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Who is better than them???  Jadeja is such a plus in the field and is very handy no 8. 

Yes, Jadeja's fielding gives him an edge. I wish I could say he is handy with bat at 8, but he's not. Never performs with bat in LOIs whenever needed.

Anyone among Chahal, Kuldeep, Axar, even Nadeem is better than them.

And given a choice between Ashwin and Mishra, stats and records as a spinner go in favour of Mishra.

11 minutes ago, putrevus said:

To those who are advocating against Dhoni are wrong.Dhoni is still by far best keeper for odis in India and he is  best keeper in tournament along with De Kock.

Will see when he will score at a strike rate of below 80 when 7-8 runs per over will be required.

8 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Say hi to India's greatest spinner in ICC events. :hello:

ash.jpg

There are couple of problems with that.

First his negative line which he has been persistent for some time in ODIs since after 2015 WC .Always looking to bowl keg stump line and trying to contain.

Simply not sustainable for our premier bowler.I hope he can re-watch his 2015 WC spell where he was bowling off stump line and decieving batsman.And his recent was pretty poor as well.

Another is his fitness.Ashwin is notorious for taking time to get his rythm.Here he is completely coming of a injury layoff with 3 months of no action.And out first game is against Pakistan.

He really needs to get his house in order .It would have been sensible to pick a 3rd spinner instead of Rahane considering Ashwin form and fitness .

1 minute ago, BeautifulGame said:

First his negative line which he has been persistent for some time in ODIs since after 2015 WC .Always looking to bowl keg stump line and trying to contain.

Simply not sustainable for our premier bowler.I hope he can re-watch his 2015 WC spell where he was bowling off stump line and decieving batsman.And his recent was pretty poor as well.

Another is his fitness.Ashwin is notorious for taking time to get his rythm.Here he is completely coming of a injury layoff with 3 months of no action.And out first game is against Pakistan.

He really needs to get his house in order .It would have been sensible to pick a 3rd spinner instead of Rahane considering Ashwin form and fitness .

He always steps up in major tournaments. Have faith, he delivered in 2011 WC as a rookie, in CT2013 after Eng 2012 meltdown and in 2015 WC  after that demolition by Aussie batsmen in the test series. In bilaterals he experiments a lot, doesn't bother about his figures and simply clowns around. Ash-Jaddu are our spin twins and they will deliver again like they have always done. 

3 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

I hope Kohli shows some sense and goes with Jadeja over Ashwin in playing XI, unless he goes for 2 spinners.

2 minutes ago, DDfan2017 said:

Yes, Jadeja's fielding gives him an edge. I wish I could say he is handy with bat at 8, but he's not. Never performs with bat in LOIs whenever needed.

Anyone among Chahal, Kuldeep, Axar, even Nadeem is better than them.

And given a choice between Ashwin and Mishra, stats and records as a spinner go in favour of Mishra.

Mishra has such overrated stats he has never done well against big teams.I don't think any of the spinners you have mentioned are even remotely as good as Jadeja or Ashwin.

If the tracks offer even little bit assistance they will be deadly. Kuldeep is one I think has a chance but he still has lot of prove, he will get his chances.

The main problem with our team is golden oldie couple in the middle overs. Watching Dhoni-UV bat will be torture. They better pray for flat wickets else we will see a fantastic kathak-bhangra duet which will win Dance India Dance Season 7.

IPL form shouldn't be taken very seriously and our bowling attack looks terrific.Mostly whenever we have won some major ICC tournament(1983, 1985, 2007, 2011) bowling has always outperformed our batting displays.

9 minutes ago, Gollum said:

He always steps up in major tournaments. Have faith, he delivered in 2011 WC as a rookie, in CT2013 after Eng 2012 meltdown and in 2015 WC  after that demolition by Aussie batsmen in the test series. In bilaterals he experiments a lot, doesn't bother about his figures and simply clowns around. Ash-Jaddu are our spin twins and they will deliver again like they have always done. 

Problem with Ashwin is not about experimenting a lot. problem is he doesn't experiment at all. Bowls on a leg stump line, never looks to attack the batsmen. He was excellent between 2011-2013. But thereafter, he never looked impressive except WC, 2015 when he had the luxury of pace bowlers, including Mohit, bowling exceptionally well.

His bowling in ODIs is so frustrating these days.

Edited by DDfan2017
3 minutes ago, Gollum said:

The main problem with our team is golden oldie couple in the middle overs. Watching Dhoni-UV bat will be torture. They better pray for flat wickets else we will see a fantastic kathak-bhangra duet which will win Dance India Dance Season 7.

IPL form shouldn't be taken very seriously and our bowling attack looks terrific.Mostly whenever we have won some major ICC tournament(1983, 1985, 2007, 2011) bowling has always outperformed our batting displays.

For the opposition :agree:

Most pathetic "safe" squad yet again. These selectors have no clue what they are supposed to do, just like when they were playing international cricket. No point having selectors if only same failed people are going to be picked. Where is Pant? What is Jadeja still doing in the team when we have explosive players like Krunal? Umesh Yadav for ODIs??? Have they even looked at who is the most expensive bowler in this decade in ODI cricket?? Seriously lacking in balls these guys. Will take Indian cricket down the $hithole.

I don't want to be too picky and hence I am fine. I knew Pant won't be picked going by the trend since we did not pick him in the ODI series before that. So even though I wanted Pant, I am not disapppinted as I did not have any expectations or hope of seeing him picked for this CT after he wasn't picked in the last series before CT.

My only concern in this squad is - Ravi Ashwin. Without any match prctice, he is going to go into CT as our bowler. This is my concern. And he isn't the best ODI spinner in the world or Kohli/ABDof spin bowling in ODI's that he should have been picked like that. This isn't test match where he's probabaly the best. ODI is different game and he isn't the best and without any match practice, its a very bad pick by selectors. 

Rest of the squad picked isn't new to us. Its a very similar squad to the one picked against England in ODi series recently. 

How many of us still believe that MSD is the best wicketkeeper in the world?" When MSK Prasad, India's chairman of selectors, asked for a show of hands in response to that question, about three to four hands went up out of 25-odd people. Prasad expressed surprise at the circumspection over MS Dhoni's inclusion in the 15-man squad for the Champions Trophy, after he was asked if there was concern among the selectors over Dhoni's spot in the squad.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-champions-trophy-2017/content/story/1096857.html

That's equivalent to Dhoni's strike rate while batting thesedays

:cantstop: 

Edited by The Realist
4 minutes ago, Gollum said:

2011 WC bowling outperformed batting .. how?:thinking: Which bowlers, except Zaheer and Ashwin in very few matches he played, outperformed the batsmen? Munaf and Nehra or Bhajji? We couldn't defend 340 against England, SA chased down 300. Srilanka from 180/5 in 40 overs went on to score 274. Bowlers were dismal in WC 2011 except the Pakistan match.

17 minutes ago, DDfan2017 said:

Will see when he will score at a strike rate of below 80 when 7-8 runs per over will be required.

If 7-8 per over are required for more than 20 overs and you expect Dhoni to bail you out batting from no 4/5 you are totally wrong. Dhoni will do his part but to expect him to carry the team is ridiculous , he has never done that in his career and he will never do it.

He will be not be intimidated by run chase nor any bowling , he will do his part especially in odis, he is still an excellent runner between the wickets, who the heck is better than Dhoni in Odis in India. Don't give me Pant or Samson, we have seen Pant how hit and miss he has been in IPL.

Pant needs to replace in T20s yes but odis nope not yet. 

3 minutes ago, putrevus said:

If 7-8 per over are required for more than 20 overs and you expect Dhoni to bail you out batting from no 4/5 you are totally wrong. Dhoni will do his part but to expect him to carry the team is ridiculous , he has never done that in his career and he will never do it.

He will be not be intimidated by run chase nor any bowling , he will do his part especially in odis, he is still an excellent runner between the wickets, who the heck is better than Dhoni in Odis in India. Don't give me Pant or Samson, we have seen Pant how hit and miss he has been in IPL.

Pant needs to replace in T20s yes but odis nope not yet. 

Pant batting at 5 will be hit and miss only. Get him to opening and watch he can do.

Coming to Dhoni, these days you may have to chase 7 rpo for 50 overs too. And even if it's 20 overs or 10 overs left with 7-8 rpo required, we don't expect Dhoni to always bail out. We expect him to play sensibly. Try to keep the scoring around 7 rpo. What he does is bat till 47-48 overs at 5-6 rpo, take the reqd rate to 15-16, then try to unleash his strokes. These days in ODIs it's easier to score 7 rpo in middle overs, then scoring 15-16 for last 2 overs.