Rahane is the new Ishant Sharma

11 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Only sensible post among 'Mumbai lobby' conspiracy. There is lobbyism but at lower levels.Once you are recognised for higher levels there is mostly meritocracy. Most of the times disliked selections are due to difference in opinions or thoughts of selectors versus fans.

I dare you to explain the thought behind rahane's selection

19 hours ago, sandeep said:

Everyone wants to blame "Mumbai Lobby".   But its not just Rahane - you take out Hardik Pandya's slogging, and Jadhav's deft use of placement - the rest of the batting lineup is basically ODI accumulators.   The other top 3 ODI teams in the world have recognized the future of ODIs - elongated T20s - they are bolstering their batting units with at least 3 power hitters if not more.  Australia has just one accumulator in Steve Smith - the rest can be classified as 'inconsistent'.   This is a strategic error on our part.   A major one that we have been making since Dhoni's captaincy.  I used to think it was MS's fault and VK would do something to change it.  At a minimum, partially.  But not seeing that.  

Even our spare batsmen - Rahane and Manish Pandey - are more of the classical 'good' batsmen type who are unlikely to come up with a 150+ SR type of innings.    Add to that, we are carrying not one, but two aging veterans in the middle order, both of whom are under the gun, with waning hitting abilities, needing more and more time to 'get going'.   

I feel as if we should aim for 400 or more in every game and we could do that only with big hitters who can tonk the ball from the get go without worrying about technique or match situation. Even 350 is quite chaseable nowadays.

We are still playing in the old ODI mode. Strategy has to change as we plan for World Cup as 2019 WC will be played in England as well.

Also need bowlers especially spinners who can restrict opposition on hard and flat surfaces. Ashwin and Jadeja have not been able to do the job effectively on pitches which have not assisted them. Better go for likes of Kuldeep Yadav, Yuzvendra Chahal or seamer/all rounders like Sangwan.

People are asking for hitters but where are those hitters, 50 over cricket is not an elongated version of T20. It is impossible to keep the run rate near 8 consistently in every match.If pitches offer some assistance 300 is still very good score.

SR over 90 is still  very good in odis. You need pitches with some assistance to bowlers or ODIs become irrelevant.England have become good because they have players like Stokes and Butler down the order. They have player like Bairstow waiting in the wings, where are those quality players in domestic cricket. Stokes and Bairstow are very good test batsmen as well.

Other than Pant I have not seen a dominant hitter emerging.You don't want WI type hitters who are clueless when they need to face 20 plus overs.

3 hours ago, kira said:

I dare you to explain the thought behind rahane's selection

I already explained that in last post. They don't want to try new blokes for a big tournament. Maybe they genuinely believe in Rahane. Don't they still believe in Dhoni and Yuvi. They are genuinely clueless. At the end of day Rahane is selected because selectors believe in him. You didn't answer how many Mumbai players feature in playing eleven or even squads of Indian team in a decade compared to Delhi or others. 

5 minutes ago, Pollack said:

I already explained that in last post. They don't want to try new blokes for a big tournament. Maybe they genuinely believe in Rahane. Don't they still believe in Dhoni and Yuvi. They are genuinely clueless. At the end of day Rahane is selected because selectors believe in him. You didn't answer how many Mumbai players feature in playing eleven or even squads of Indian team in a decade compared to Delhi or others. 

Rahane has a sh!tty domestic record, he averages 32 with strike rate of 78 in 73 matches, his t20 strike rate in domestics is 118 after 157 matches, his list A average is 36, on what basis do the selectors believe in him, do you see any other state player given such a long rope?

23 hours ago, sandeep said:

Everyone wants to blame "Mumbai Lobby".   But its not just Rahane - you take out Hardik Pandya's slogging, and Jadhav's deft use of placement - the rest of the batting lineup is basically ODI accumulators.   The other top 3 ODI teams in the world have recognized the future of ODIs - elongated T20s - they are bolstering their batting units with at least 3 power hitters if not more.  Australia has just one accumulator in Steve Smith - the rest can be classified as 'inconsistent'.   This is a strategic error on our part.   A major one that we have been making since Dhoni's captaincy.  I used to think it was MS's fault and VK would do something to change it.  At a minimum, partially.  But not seeing that.  

Even our spare batsmen - Rahane and Manish Pandey - are more of the classical 'good' batsmen type who are unlikely to come up with a 150+ SR type of innings.    Add to that, we are carrying not one, but two aging veterans in the middle order, both of whom are under the gun, with waning hitting abilities, needing more and more time to 'get going'.   

What you are saying applies more for T20s than the ODI side . 

You cannot have any batsmen who can just accumulate or slog , need multi dimensional players these days . There is no way we can win consistently with just one batsmen who knows to accumulate , an ideal middle order for a ODI side is still Virat + Raina + Yuvi + Dhoni  , not considering their form and age . 

The issue with Indian ODI side is opening , thats where you cannot have a accumulators . I have been saying this for years , opening is the easiest batting spot and anyone who scores at less than a 100sr in the first 15 is a liability irrespective of how good his overall stats looks . We need a Pant/Tripathi type of batsmen there not the  Rohit sharma or Rahane . 

9 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Hows that the same ? Yuvi and Dhoni are greats in the format , Rahane is failed consistently and I bet if given the amount of chances Rohit was give he will start scoring eventually too . is that fair on other deserving players though ?

On your second point , not state has produced the kind of talent Delhi has produced in the last few years .  Am talking about serious world class talent .

47 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

Hows that the same ? Yuvi and Dhoni are greats in the format , Rahane is failed consistently and I bet if given the amount of chances Rohit was give he will start scoring eventually too . is that fair on other deserving players though ?

On your second point , not state has produced the kind of talent Delhi has produced in the last few years .  Am talking about serious world class talent .

You are missing the point bro. I am not saying they are justified in believing in Rahane. Only that it has nothing to do with regional lobbying.

On your second paragraph: Exactly what I am saying. Delhi has produced talent in last decade and hence they are in the team. There is no lobbying based on region at national selection or maybe very minimal. It is fashionable to blame 'Mumbai lobby'. Do those commentators who are the basis of perception of Mumbai lobby involved in selection?

58 minutes ago, kira said:

Rahane has a sh!tty domestic record, he averages 32 with strike rate of 78 in 73 matches, his t20 strike rate in domestics is 118 after 157 matches, his list A average is 36, on what basis do the selectors believe in him, do you see any other state player given such a long rope?

Yes. There are quite a few players who have been given very long ropes. Everyone blamed it on captain. But here a region is blamed.