Virendra Sehwag as Coach

7 hours ago, beetle said:

Regarding pay...why don't they have a basic pay for the 3 grades but the match fees etc should be performance linked.

Pay more for wins and pay according to the runs scored and wkts taken.

Deduct for catches dropped :wall:

Pay structure should be bottom up rather than top down. Top players get lot of money in endorsements etc. 

This is my opinion and I dont want to provoke. This should be the structure.

Head Coach - Team manager, strategist and who selects the final team on the game day. Other coaches should have a say but definitely not Captain.

Batting Coach.

Pace bowling coach.

Spin coach.

Fielding coach.

Strength and Conditioning coach.

Game Analyst/Strategist.

This is a blue print copied from NFL. A highly sophisticated and extremly successful structure. It works.

17 minutes ago, Khota said:

This is my opinion and I dont want to provoke. This should be the structure.

Head Coach - Team manager, strategist and who selects the final team on the game day. Other coaches should have a say but definitely not Captain.

Batting Coach.

Pace bowling coach.

Spin coach.

Fielding coach.

Strength and Conditioning coach.

Game Analyst/Strategist.

This is a blue print copied from NFL. A highly sophisticated and extremly successful structure. It works.

No.Captain should have the first and final say.

It is the captain who has to lead the team of players, not the coach.

It is the captain who deals with the bouquets and the brickbats regarding team performance.

The coach can have a say and advice , but the captain should get the team he wants unless he has gone nuts, in that case it should be mentioned in the team performance report.

Cricket is not football.

Edited by beetle
22 minutes ago, beetle said:

No.Captain should have the first and final say.

It is the captain who has to lead the team of players, not the coach.

It is the captain who deals with the bouquets and the brickbats regarding team performance.

The coach can have a say and advice , but the captain should get the team he wants unless he has gone nuts, in that case it should be mentioned in the team performance report.

Cricket is not football.

I used to think the way you do. I have evolved. Captain cannot make the right decision. It is coaches job. Captain should be no more than a ceremonial post. Hard concept to grasp but that will happen in 10 years time. Captain is a wortless position.

This is a radical concept which will not go well with 99% of population.

This could be rumors but I liked Sehwag's captaincy .... I remember the changes that he made in BD that enabled Ind to win the 2nd test. MS came back for the 3rd test, which was won by Zak's batting and/or bowling, iirc ....  So it may not be a bad move but don't know why Kumble would not want to continue 

10 minutes ago, Khota said:

I used to think the way you do. I have evolved. Captain cannot make the right decision. It is coaches job. Captain should be no more than a ceremonial post. Hard concept to grasp but that will happen in 10 years time. Captain is a wortless position.

This is a radical concept which will not go well with 99% of population.

No offense but obvious u are confusing athletic games like NFL with cricket.

Cricket is a game of strategy and tactics .Here the captain has make decision every over ball and every over .No coach can make these decisions in cricket.

It's not radical view just confusing two completely different sports  .

1 minute ago, BeautifulGame said:

Cricket is a game of strategy and tactics .Here the captain has make decision every over ball and every over .No coach can make these decisions in cricket.

No offence but I haven't seen a more strategic game than NFL and that's the reason you can't win the trophy without a good coach (say Belichick) and/or a good QB (say Brady). Cricket is more of a skill based sport where the outcome is more driven by player's talent, i.e. someone like Kohli can take the game away. Whereas in football the coach can take out a player with his gameplan.

7 minutes ago, Ultimate_Game said:

By the way folks if you know of anyone in BCCI, can you recommend and refer me for the position of the coach as well. Surely I can't be worse than Sehwag and Dravid, and I promise Pant will bat at the top of the order :agree: 

Why not me? How about if you get it you can get me the job of Assistant coach. You seem like a reasonable guy and I can work for you.

4 minutes ago, Ultimate_Game said:

No offence but I haven't seen a more strategic game than NFL and that's the reason you can't win the trophy without a good coach (say Belichick) and/or a good QB (say Brady). Cricket is more of a skill based sport where the outcome is more driven by player's talent, i.e. someone like Kohli can take the game away. Whereas in football the coach can take out a player with his gameplan.

I agree. Cricket does not need a captain. All the thought and planning can be done outside. You can have any captain with written instructions on three sheet of papers as they do in NFL and they can see the boilerplate from there.

BTW Belicek is one great coach. The greatest.

What exact tactics do captains involve in on field in NFL ? I have no idea because I don't watch them neither am I interested.I am assuming not much because of the earlier post which said the captain post there is ceremonial.Kinda understandable becoz it's the same in football too.

What I do know is cricket is a sport where on field tactics play a huge rule in deciding winners.For starters captain have to set field every over at the least.

12 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

I see what you are saying but game time decisions with less oxygen going to the brain are not the best sometime. 

I see what you are saying but game time decisions with less oxygen going to the brain are not the best sometime. 

You are missing the point though.Regardless of how much excited state a player /captain ,he has to make the decisions .There is no other option .

All a coach can do once players cross the field in cricket is just sit and watch .Nothing else unlike say football where coach can continue to direct players all the time .

That's why Captains are significant in cricket .

23 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

What exact tactics do captains involve in on field in NFL ? I have no idea because I don't watch them neither am I interested.I am assuming not much because of the earlier post which said the captain post there is ceremonial.

What I do know is cricket is a sport where on field tactics play a huge rule in deciding winners.For starters captain have to set field every over at the least.

Captain's post is ceremonial in NFL but there are 2 players on the team (one on defense and the QB) along with coach or offensive & defensive QBs which are critical to the success of the play, and most often than not those 2 players are the captains on the field. Let me break down one NFL play for you (the game is actually a series of individual plays and not free flowing like Soccer)...

Let's say Team A has the ball and are facing a 2nd & 6 situation (i.e. 6 yards needed to get to the 1st down to keep the drive alive). In that case the coach or offensive co-ordinator decides the play (whether it's run or pass, and then the specific run or pass play), decides the formation and alignement (i.e. 2 TE set or 3 WR set etc.), decides if any personnel package needs to be used (i.e. player substitutions where you can use say a heavy package with your FB). Finally this call is sent to the QB over a radio. Only 2 players on the team can have the helmet which can listen to the coach - one on offense (QB) and one on the defense (generally a MLB or a SS). These two players have to make sure the offense and defense gets the plays and are in the right position. Once QB gets the play, he lets other players know the play. Depending on how experienced the QB is, he can make audibles, i.e. he reads the defense pre-snap and determines that the play call is not optimal and decides to change the play and go with an alternate play and he has to do it in a short duration else his team will be penalised.

Now on the defense, the coach or defensive co-ordinator looks at the offensive formation for the play and decides his defensive formation and player personnel. E.g., if it's a 2 TE or a heavy package, he would go with the 4-3 or 3-4 base formation and maybe have an added LB instead of a corner. If the offense is going with 3 or 4 WR set, the defenive co-ordinator would most likely go with Nickel or Dime formation. Then the coach waits to see how the offense lines up, i.e. is it a Tight formation, or it's an I formation or Shotgun etc. and based on that he radios in the actual defensive call to the defensive captain. This defensive captain then relays the call to all the other players and ensures they understand their assignments and coverages. And just like the QB if the defensive captain thinks the play needs to be tweaked he does so and ensures all the 11 players on defense understand the play.

This is a very simplistic way to explain what happens on each play in football and normally there are anywhere from 120-160 plays in a game and this complex planning, thinking on the fly and adjusting to the opponent has to happen everytime. All the things and much more happens within a few seconds. I'm a big NFL fan and that's why i know that in terms of strategy, tactics or gameplanning cricket is nowhere close to NFL. Cricket is more about individual skills than strategy.

Edited by Ultimate_Game