10 players who need to be in the scheme of things right now

8 hours ago, bleaf27 said:

Rashid Khan , Shadab Khan ,  Harbhajan made international debut at 17 so no Spinners do not take time to mature any more than a batsman or a seamer.    I am not advocating Washington to be included in the squad for the next series but he needs to be in plan for the hopefuls keeping 2019 w/c in mind . 

Washington is a partimer spinner only. He is a batsman first. He needs to do well as a batsman in domestic cricket.

15 hours ago, Sandeep99 said:

India should be ideally fielding this team in West Indies -

Dhawan

Iyer

Kohli (c)

Pant (k)

Kedar

Krunal

Hardik

Kuldeep

Chahal

Bhuvi

Umesh

Reserves - Shami, Samson, Chahal, Avesh Khan

Alas....

I'd gone even further and rest virat and Umesh... 

I don't follow cricket anymore other than few high-profile matches, so I can't comment on specific players. But I think it is simply wrong to start with players and try to construct the best team around them. This is a common fallacy and should be avoided. You don't start with the parts and build the best car around them. You start with the idea of what kind of car you want to build and then look for the parts that fulfill that purpose.

So, you start with the idea of the best team that would be world-beater in English conditions. Don't fill in specifics. Keep it abstract. More like a conceptual game as if you were god and had all the power to conjure players from thin-air only if you could articulate their design.

For e.g., my team would have:

1) a genuinely fast wicket-taking bowler.

2) a left-arm seamer who is able to swing the ball either way.

3) a medium-fast bowler who is a stickler of line and length.

something like that... and you continue to pile layer upon layer of conceptual details to your template. When you think you're done designing the best team for the situation, then you start looking for talent or grooming them...

Edited by dark_profile
clarity

I havent seen Vijay Shankar play but he seems like a good prospect for the team. We could use someone who is a proper batsman and can bowl decent seam up if one of the other seamers go for runs. He is also a left armer and will lend variety to the attack.

They should get him into the scheme of things as soon as possible and give him a chance to see how well he can play. I feel sometimes Indian selectors are reluctant to give chances to newbies and waste crucial years like what happened to Kedhar Jadhav. Perhaps also has to do with not having the power to drop senior players.

Edited by NareshK
5 hours ago, NareshK said:

I havent seen Vijay Shankar play but he seems like a good prospect for the team. We could use someone who is a proper batsman and can bowl decent seam up if one of the other seamers go for runs. He is also a left armer and will lend variety to the attack.

They should get him into the scheme of things as soon as possible and give him a chance to see how well he can play. I feel sometimes Indian selectors are reluctant to give chances to newbies and waste crucial years like what happened to Kedhar Jadhav. Perhaps also has to do with not having the power to drop senior players.

He is not left armer 

(1) Shubham Gill/Shivam Chaudhary

(2) Ishan Kishan

(3) Himanshu Rana/Prithvi Shaw

(4) Risabh Pant (wk)

(5) Sarfaraz Khan

(6) Mahipal Lomror

(7) Abhishek Sharma

(8) Kamlesh Nagarkoti

(9) Rahul Chahar

(10) Avesh Khan

(11) Nathu Singh/K. Seth

In all these names, it is depressing to see how few spinners there are (especially those that are <25 apart from Kuldeep). Most nations have given opportunities to young spinners these days in one format or another - SL obviously, but also Eng (Crane) and Oz (Agar). Those spinners may/may not be good, but at least other teams are trying to keep spin in their scheme of things.

When I look at spinners < 25, I hardly see any spinners. Gani looked promising (a Powar type), but has been under-utilized and is regressing. Chahar and Ansari are both promising, but the days are very early. Others like Sundar are mostly darters.