Bumrah needs to be tried in Test matches

5 hours ago, express bowling said:

Don't think Bumrah is taking a T20I match in a bilateral series against SL as an intense pressure situation. He himself wants to come back via this mode.

Ranji captains have a habit of bowling good pacers to the ground if wickets are not coming easily. And it would be very risky to subject Bumrah to this now.

You mean Bumrah will not be bowling at 100% in a T20 for India? Does not sound right to me. Imagine if he gets hit for 2 4s, will he not put his all in the next delivery to bowl a yorker or bouncer? If he is not fully fit, does this not increase the risk of another injury? 

There is absolutely no hurry for him to comeback. Could have kept increasing his workload in the next 4-5 weeks gradually in domestic cricket where he will be under less scrutiny. 

4 hours ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

You mean Bumrah will not be bowling at 100% in a T20 for India? Does not sound right to me. Imagine if he gets hit for 2 4s, will he not put his all in the next delivery to bowl a yorker or bouncer? If he is not fully fit, does this not increase the risk of another injury? 

There is absolutely no hurry for him to comeback. Could have kept increasing his workload in the next 4-5 weeks gradually in domestic cricket where he will be under less scrutiny. 

No, T20 domestic cricket in India.

10 hours ago, cowboysfan said:

Terrible precedent set by ganguly,he has made it clear that LOI cricket is more important than the kiwi tests,Bumrah should have played in the ranjis to become match fit.

We have two months for kiwi tests. You don't want a bowler coming back from injury to bowl 25 overs a day in Ranji trophy.

11 hours ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

If TM thought he can bowl only 4 to 8 overs in a day in a Ranji game,  I wonder if he is fit enough to bowl 4 overs under the intense pressure of international cricket. Better thing would have to let him ease into Ranji trophy matches in January and be fit enough to bowl 20-25 overs a day by the NZ tour.

He's not bowled a single delivery in competitive cricket for over 4 months now. After such a long injury layoff, bowling straight in an international match does not sound right at all.

How could he be ease into Ranji trophy where he will have to bowl 20 plus overs a day. Work load should be increased gradually. There is still a long time for kiwi tour and he can play Ranji in Feb.

5 hours ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Bumrah is fit and already bowling yorkers and bouncers. But does not want to bowl too many overs a day just yet.

He wants to start with 4 to 8 overs a day and then gradually increase his workload. Sounds logical to me. And I trust his judgement as he is an intelligent person.

It is not possible to gradually increase his workload in FC cricket. His State Association turned down the request of the selectors to grant him that facility.  (  It would have been possible if VHT or SMAT was going on, but they are over )

Edited by express bowling
13 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

How could he be ease into Ranji trophy where he will have to bowl 20 plus overs a day. Work load should be increased gradually. There is still a long time for kiwi tour and he can play Ranji in Feb.

Remember ... Shami was bowled 26 overs and 20+ overs per day in a Ranji match when he returned from injury.  

Playing Ranji, especially if the pitch is flat, can be very risky for Bumrah.

4 hours ago, rkt.india said:

If the next series was a test series instead of T20/odi, what the selection committee  would  have done.

If Bumrah again get's injured playing international cricket after layoffs of 3,month who should be held responsible.

Edited by tweaker
27 minutes ago, tweaker said:

If the next series was a test series instead of T20/odi, what the selection committee  would  have done.

If Bumrah again get's injured playing international cricket after layoffs of 3,month who should be held responsible.

Yes if there was a test series, he could have played Ranji trophy but right now T20 is the right thing to prove his fitness.

2 hours ago, express bowling said:

Bumrah is fit and already bowling yorkers and bouncers. But does not want to bowl too many overs a day just yet.

He wants to start with 4 to 8 overs a day and then gradually increase his workload. Sounds logical to me. And I trust his judgement as he is an intelligent person.

It is not possible to gradually increase his workload in FC cricket. His State Association turned down the request of the selectors to grant him that facility.  (  It would have been possible if VHT or SMAT was going on, but they are over )

Once again, the little I understand cricket, being physically fit and being match fit for bowling in international cricket are two different things. If he/BCCI are not confident of bowling more than 8-10 overs in a day in a Ranji match, I'd say he's not fully match fit yet.

There is a reason why pace bowlers ease back into international cricket by following a process- bowl a bit in club cricket, then FC matches and finally in Tests or LOIs. This helps manage the intensity and gradually increases the workload. Bowling in nets does not count much because that's not competitive cricket.  

This is the first time I've heard a pacer coming back straight to int'l cricket after a 4 months long injury lay off (where it was said he'd a stress fracture of the back and would need surgery). I do hope he and Ganguly know what they are doing and have consulted the experts rather than go by how Bumrah feels.

3 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Yes if there was a test series, he could have played Ranji trophy but right now T20 is the right thing to prove his fitness.

Proving fitness in an international match? I hope Ganguly and BCCI are setting a new precedent. Any established player who gets injured can come straight back into int'l cricket 

34 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Once again, the little I understand cricket, being physically fit and being match fit for bowling in international cricket are two different things. If he/BCCI are not confident of bowling more than 8-10 overs in a day in a Ranji match, I'd say he's not fully match fit yet.

There is a reason why pace bowlers ease back into international cricket by following a process- bowl a bit in club cricket, then FC matches and finally in Tests or LOIs. This helps manage the intensity and gradually increases the workload. Bowling in nets does not count much because that's not competitive cricket.  

This is the first time I've heard a pacer coming back straight to int'l cricket after a 4 months long injury lay off (where it was said he'd a stress fracture of the back and would need surgery). I do hope he and Ganguly know what they are doing and have consulted the experts rather than go by how Bumrah feels.

But how would bowling 25 overs a day in a FC match be less strenuous than 4 overs a day in a T20I ?

6 hours ago, sandeep said:

Maybe he wouldn't bowl 25 though?  And he wouldn't have to go full tilt as opposed to an int'l game?  

Happened to Shami on his return from injury in 2017-18.  He had to bowl 26 overs a day and 20+ overs a day in Ranji when he returned from injury. And there were concerns regarding this kind of workload for a player easing back to cricket.

Gujarat has a pace attack weaker than Bengal, sans Bumrah. So, the risk of this happening again was highly possible especially if the pitch was flattish or flat.

Jasprit Bumrah doesn't shy away from targeting the batsmen's head or ribs in the nets, India skipper Virat Kohli says about his lead pacer, whose intensity knows no bounds even at practice sessions.

"According to me he's (Bumrah) the most skilful bowler in the world in any format of the game. To play against him, he brings match intensity in the nets. He's not shy of hitting us on the head or targeting our ribs every now and then," Kohli said.

One of the world's best batsmen, Kohli shared the experience of facing the top bowler in the nets, on the eve of the three-match ODI series against Australia.

"He's a proper, proper bowler and it's always nice to play against the best in the nets. I challenge myself to play well against him, not every day do you get to hit boundaries off Jasprit in the nets," Kohli said.

On the eve of the first match at the Wankhede Stadium, Kohli and Bumrah were locked in a keen tussle at the nets.

"Bumrah has been playing for the team for last four years and this is probably the second time I have ever got out (in) the net, hitting a few against him and not getting out.

"One was Adelaide before the Test in 2018 and one was today. I'm glad that was the last ball of my net session, because he ran back to his mark, but I got out of the nets," said Kohli.

https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cricket/story/india-vs-australia-1st-odi-pre-match-press-conference-virat-kohli-on-facing-jasprit-bumrah-in-the-nets-1636483-2020-01-13

Update on Bumrah's injury .... looks like he is ok

" Well, it looks like the injury is not serious at all as the bowler himself took to Twitter to confirm it. While he did not write clearly about the incident on the field, his tweet made it clear that he is raring to go in the upcoming game.

“Full steam ahead! ,” wrote the pacer on Twitter.  "

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cricketaddictor.com/cricket/jasprit-bumrah-upbeat-after-twisting-ankle-in-auckland-t20i/%3famp