Rahane can be our floater for 2019WC in middle order- Kohli

Not that different - he was 60s SR bat at a time when 70s SR was acceptbale - Rahane is a 70s SR when 80s SR is considered acceptable.  So the comparison is there.  Unless you look at Dravid through those special glasses - either the bonda ones, or the 'past gets prettier as time goes by'.   Take your pick.  

The problem is 80s SR is not acceptable today.If you score at a strike rate of 80 ,teams will reach a total of 240.

Tell me in which country 240 is par score nowadays .

Most middle order batsman average in 90s and some even 100+ SR nowadays.

Oh and Rahane career SR is actually less than 80 despite opening the batting plenty of times .

2 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

Rahane is only capable if the wicket is road , true bounce and lightning quick outfield and pace dominated attack.Otherwise he is useless in ODIs .

Dhawan is a far far superior batsman than Rahane in ODIs .Comparing them is a joke.Its like comparing Yuvraj Singh and Mohd Kaif lol

Any batsman who has career stats of averaging in 30s and strike rate of 70s in modern era is pathetic for India.

First paragragh is non sense. Just my views. Know you won't change your views. No point discussing further about it.

Who compared Rahane to dhawan.?Rahane is technically better than Dhawan. Dhawan is better ODI player than Rahane. That's how I see it.

Already accepted his stats are bad.Now its getting repetitive. Stats... stats... stats....

World is moving ahead...there are no hacks anymore...Eng and Aus our real competitors in cricket from a wholistic perspective on field and off field have moved to a different brand of cricket and we are still stuck here making excuses for batsman like Rahane :facepalm: 

Dont get me wrong Rahane is a clutch player...I will put him even before Kohli in my test X1 but in LOIs oh please...shouldn't even be discussed.

Period!!!

First paragragh is non sense. Just my views. Know you won't change your views. No point discussing further about it.

Who compared Rahane to dhawan.?Rahane is technically better than Dhawan. Dhawan is better ODI player than Rahane. That's how I see it.

Already accepted his stats are bad.Now its getting repetitive. Stats... stats... stats....

Yeah stats performance nothing should matter lol

Only mythical abilities matter :cantstop:

And yes Dhawan is a million miles better odi bat than Rahane is.

2 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

His technical abilities are not mythical. He is going through a bad patch. He struggled a bit in tests also. But somehow managed.

Most Importantly:

I am not saying he should be in team in ODIs now.Not even squad. Rahane should be thrown out of ODIs so that he works on his shortcomings. Only contesting the disgust shown towards him as if he is a hack or tailender. Like sandeep said said he is still serviceable in ODIs but we have better options.

His technical abilities are not mythical. He is going through a bad patch. He struggled a bit in tests also. But somehow managed.

Most Importantly:

I am not saying he should be in team in ODIs now.Not even squad. Rahane should be thrown out of ODIs so that he works on his shortcomings. Only contesting the disgust shown towards him as if he is a hack or tailender. Like sandeep said said he is still serviceable in ODIs but we have better options.

His technical abilities are great for Test cricket and he is a great test batsman but not for odi or T20s and definitely not for India with the talent we have.

As I said a finished Yuvi is a far superior middle order bat than Rahane .

He would have been perhaps a decent opener for Nzl or Srl ,someone to hold an end , but for us simply not good enough.

45 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

Rahane's ODI limitations are well known, especially in the middle order.  But let's not over glorify Dhawan.   I've defended him on here often, but I will also point out that he's quite crap against decent spin bowling.   Almost aussie-level bad, all he can do is either jump out of his crease, sweep, or get out.  Literally incapable of anything other than those 3.  

Everybody here and in Indian cricket knows that Rahane is a misfit in our ODI middle order except our Captain Mr Wrogn.

Reminds me of:

"I know what I want, I want Rahane in the middle order, so I can keep shining on as India's best batsman in ODIs".  

Edited by sandeep

This idea that Rahane is technically good so he can be an opener in foreign conditions is pure crap. If you have seen Rahane bat in ODIs, you could see his technique is not tight. As an opener, he has trouble against inswinging deliveries and he also plays away from body. On top of that, he cant rotate the strike well, so he plays a slog as a release shot and gets out. Hence his low strike rate and average. He has played 75 games and it should have been clear by now he is not ODI material. But if you make the same mistake and expect different results, its called madness.

Edited by NareshK

Well since Kohli seems to be a stubborn mule like his predecessor minus the luck of his predecessor let us just pray that Rahane has a turnaround in the shorter formats like Williamson.

Williamson is similar,thought won't be fit for short formats,didn't change his game...still plays orthodox shots and plays with a big strike rate.

so may be he can be our Williamson....thoughts???

4 minutes ago, maniac said:

Well since Kohli seems to be a stubborn mule like his predecessor minus the luck of his predecessor let us just pray that Rahane has a turnaround in the shorter formats like Williamson.

Williamson is similar,thought won't be fit for short formats,didn't change his game...still plays orthodox shots and plays with a big strike rate.

so may be he can be our Williamson....thoughts???

:rofl: 

If wishes were horses. Williamson is almost as good as Kohli and you think Rahane could match him ? 

Just now, NareshK said:

:rofl: 

If wishes were horses. Williamson is almost as good as Kohli and you think Rahane could match him ? 

Kohli adapted to LOIs before he turned it around in tests....with Williamson it was the opposite.

in tests Rahane is as good as Kohli...I won't bring Pujara here because I am talking purely in terms of strokeplay,Rahane does have a built in range.

Look I don't won't Rahane in the LOI side but hopefully there is some upside to this.

Rahane's ODI limitations are well known, especially in the middle order.  But let's not over glorify Dhawan.   I've defended him on here often, but I will also point out that he's quite crap against decent spin bowling.   Almost aussie-level bad, all he can do is either jump out of his crease, sweep, or get out.  Literally incapable of anything other than those 3.  

Dhawan has been our best batsman in 3 world tournaments in a row.

So yeah he is an exceptional good opener.Par with any of our openers bar Sachin .

And he is pretty good against Spin .Most Delhi players are .