Bhuvneswar Kumar 20 matches 17 wickets at avg of 54

3 hours ago, fineleg said:

Its ok, give Bhuvi longer rope. But over time, he has to either get wickets or atleast ER of <= 4.25 in ODIs. If he is going to do 5.5 and no wickets, then he will fall out of favor.

His economy rate is 4.9 after 70 ODIs. Comparatively, Umesh and Ishant have econ of 5.8-5.9, none have control and neither can bowl at the death. At least Bhuvi can bowl yorkers (though still not as well as Bumrah) but who are you going to replace Bhuvi with? 

You are right that ODI bowling is a mix of wicket-taking ability and keeping runs down. But ODIs today are closer to T20Is than Test matches. It is perhaps more important to keep the run-rate down and many times rash strokes get you wickets than magic balls. ICC rankings for ODI bowlers also reflect this. Bhuvi and even Akshar (a so-called defensive bowler) are the only 2 Indians in the top 20. Akshar was ranked 9 before he got dropped and I am sure he will be in the top-10 again after this series.

4 hours ago, rkt.india said:

ishant certainly has a better ODI record and on pitch like yesterday, he would have been a real handy.

The guy who has an economy rate of 5.8 and can bowl only one length? And if he is so good at picking wickets, please remind me again why he averages 37 in Tests where you are only supposed to take wickets more than anything else? 

8 hours ago, Samcric said:

The guy who has an economy rate of 5.8 and can bowl only one length? And if he is so good at picking wickets, please remind me again why he averages 37 in Tests where you are only supposed to take wickets more than anything else? 

tests and and ODIs are two different formats. I am just comparing the stats of the two. Ishant has a better average in ODIs, BK better ER.