Baffling tactics and captaincy from Kohli

1 hour ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Won the toss on a Green Mamba and decided to bat first playing with 5 bowlers :laugh:

Is Kohli trolling us?

I actually think it was the right call to bat first today, and he deserves credit for making the brave choice.  If one of the openers had managed to not give it away, we would be in a great situation right now.   

Just now, sandeep said:

I actually think it was the right call to bat first today, and he deserves credit for making the brave choice.  If one of the openers had managed to not give it away, we would be in a great situation right now.   

Ok fair enough but if batting first was in his mind, why play with 5 batsmen? Especially when your batting failed in both the tests? Could have played with 6 batsman and 4 seamers + Pappu

2 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

Considering 6th batsman would be Rohit, I am happy that Hardik is playing.

2 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Because he wants to gamble and win the game?  And also maybe because the 6th batsman option is Rohit Sharma? :hysterical:

Should have opened with Dhawan and Vijay.

Rahul at 3

Chepu 4

Rat at 5

Rahane

Pappu

Hardik

1 minute ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Rahul at 3

Chepu 4

Rat at 5

Rahane

Pappu

Hardik

Dhawan or rohit ....both are walking wkts only

Now that both vijay n rahul have gotten out so grass is looking greener on other side, leekin asal waha grass hai hi nhin sirf takla hai 

8 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Rahul at 3

Chepu 4

Rat at 5

Rahane

Pappu

Hardik

In theory, I like what you are saying - 3 openers at the top.  But in reality, Dhawan wouldn't be much more than a "morning" watchman.  For a handful of deliveries.  

Could give a passing thought to the idea of pushing Pappu up the order as he's more likely to last than Mr. Thigh-five.  But you want to put your players in positions, where they have the best chance to succeed.  And Pappu has a decent chance of chipping in with an immensely useful 30-odd at #6.   

All in all, I have zero complaints about the top 7 in this test match.  I just wish Virat had gone with this batting lineup in all 3 tests instead of just this one.  

2 minutes ago, zen said:

Overall a good call with the 11

Yeah.  I did think for a bit, that Ashwin ahead of the 4th seamer (Ishant?), may have been better.  Given that the saffers really don't like facing quality spin.  But if there's going to be zero grip due to grass cover, then its a fair call.  

I am with Kohli on  this . He knows his team can't chase a  total batting last so he has gone seam attack against seam attack , he feels India's are better .

Was always going to be a hard first morning and he probably hoped for one down , this next session is the most important and how well 3,4,5 do in it. 

If India can put a half decent score on the board then I am going for an Indian win :aha:

12 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

I am with Kohli on  this . He knows his team can't chase a  total batting last so he has gone seam attack against seam attack , he feels India's are better .

Was always going to be a hard first morning and he probably hoped for one down , this next session is the most important and how well 3,4,5 do in it. 

If India can put a half decent score on the board then I am going for an Indian win :aha:

Interesting view. Seeing how we've folded the last 2 games. It could just work. Though we need to up our game overall

Just now, Sachinism said:

Interesting view. Seeing how we've folded the last 2 games. It could just work. Though we need to up our game overall

So just do same and fold again ? OR get the bowlers together and say i back you guys , you are better than them , go out and show it..

What does he have to lose ?

23 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

Sssh.  Don't jinx it.   If India get to the 2nd new ball, and get past it, I think that sets up a test win.  I really hope ChePu goes on to get a big score, so he can get the props due to him.  For all the nonsense about him taking x number of balls to get off strike, he's done a good job here today.  

Just now, sandeep said:

Sssh.  Don't jinx it.   If India get to the 2nd new ball, and get past it, I think that sets up a test win.  I really hope ChePu goes on to get a big score, so he can get the props due to him.  For all the nonsense about him taking x number of balls to get off strike, he's done a good job here today.  

Still being there is a million times better than being back in the pavilion.

Kohli needs Pujara to bat like this for his bat first and bowl them out twice to work 

Just now, Tattieboy said:

Still being there is a million times better than being back in the pavilion.

Kohli needs Pujara to bat like this for his bat first and bowl them out twice to work 

Yep.  But far too many miss that point and "set a higher standard" for evaluating Pujara's success.