Can Pujara get a century

Theoretical scoredcard

Pujara batted for 179 balls. If he had batted at a SR of 81.99%, he would have got X (math is not my strong subject). And Ind would be at Y. All the other batsmen would automatically have scored at least 50 if Pujara had played quickly 

Ind lost Z runs because of Pujara. Time to replace him with Hooda in tests. Hooda plays at a higher strike rate and can bowl spin as well. Commentators say that too :rofl:

Edited by zen
4 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Sorry but thats such a dumbass argument.  Per the rules of the game, Pujara wasn't out, because the umpire gave him not out.   

Lets agree to disagree and leave it at that.  I'm really not interested in getting into an argument with a fellow fan.  

sorry can't agree to that, not because I want to argue with you, but because what you said was incorrect.....

if South Africans reviewed Kohli's decisions he still would have been not out 

on the other hand if they reviewed Pujara's decision it would have been out 

6 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

I think some people on this thread struggle to understand the difference between low strike rate and high dot ball percentage. Dot ball after dot ball really invites pressure. 

Women have high balls, men have low balls .... commentators would agree too :nod:

48 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

Might as well open with pujara then. He'd be perfect. Didn't he get that hundred in SL on a green top while opening?

I'd stick with Vijay and Rahul for now but this could be a legit option after 1-2 yrs once Vijay is no longer a part of the side. And yeah he did. 

17 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

I'd stick with Vijay and Rahul for now but this could be a legit option after 1-2 yrs once Vijay is no longer a part of the side. And yeah he did. 

Looks like Vijay is already done more or less and going to be out if he continues like this. I do not see the grittiness, temperament and patience that was his ornament until recently..... :no:

Lets have a look of even SR of batsman.

Virat - 50.94

Ajinkya - 33.33

Chet - 27.93

Vijay - 25

Parthiv - 9.09

Rahul  - 0

Hardik - 0 

When that Chets SR of 27.93 is considered with average of 50 it is like gold when we compare it with Vijay, Parthiv, Rahul and Hardik. 

Sir salamat to pagdi hazaar. SR will matter only if batsman can survive. This is test cricket. Chet is second best only to Virat. Both are all conditions batters unlike some others who cannot bat on wickets provided in this series. The other batsmen just do not have ability like these two. SR to door door ki baat hai unke liye.

Edited by Straight Drive

Pujara is miles better than some of the clueless batsmen we have who struggle with technique. Yes, he has a problem with getting stuck in a rut, Dravid was guilty of that from time to time. But at least he shows the grit and has better defensive technique than others on a tricky pitch. I would seriously consider him an opener instead of Vijay. I think he is over the hill. Have Rahul and Che open or even try this young kid Prithvi Shaw. Throw him in the pit. If he is that special, let him learn the hard way.

The keepers are in the batting lineup are definitely Pujara, Kohli and Rahane. You need to give these three ample chances to succeed, especially abroad. I am not impressed with the rest. 

Edited by dandaroy
22 minutes ago, dandaroy said:

Pujara is miles better than some of the clueless batsmen we have who struggle with technique. Yes, he has a problem with getting stuck in a rut, Dravid was guilty of that from time to time. But at least he shows the grit and has better defensive technique than others on a tricky pitch. I would seriously consider him an opener instead of Vijay. I think he is over the hill. Have Rahul and Che open or even try this young kid Prithvi Shaw. Throw him in the pit. If he is that special, let him learn the hard way.

The keepers are in the batting lineup are definitely Pujara, Kohli and Rahane. You need to give these three ample chances to succeed, especially abroad. I am not impressed with the rest. 

The problem with Pujara is more mental than technique, his getting stuck without scoring runs. This is where a good team coach or batting coach and a team pyschologist can come in and work with him. But we have only Shastri!!! :wall:

13 minutes ago, dandaroy said:

The problem with Pujara is more mental than technique, his getting stuck without scoring runs. This is where a good team coach or batting coach and a team pyschologist can come in and work with him. But we have only Shastri!!! :wall:

It's an issue with his skill set more than anything. He just doesn't have enough of an attacking game against pacers. Even in the sub-continent his knocks generally follow this trajectory - 25-30 off nearly 100 balls -> 50 off 130+ balls -> 100 off 220+ balls -> 150 off 300 balls. He takes his time against the pacers but is able to accelerate later on as he is an extra-ordinary milker of spin bowling. This is much harder to achieve (for someone like Pujara) outside the sub-con with the pacers doing the bulk of the bowling.

9 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

It's an issue with his skill set more than anything. He just doesn't have enough of an attacking game against pacers. Even in the sub-continent his knocks generally follow this trajectory - 25-30 off nearly 100 balls -> 50 off 130+ balls -> 100 off 220+ balls -> 150 off 300 balls. He takes his time against the pacers but is able to accelerate later on as he is an extra-ordinary milker of spin bowling. This is much harder to achieve (for someone like Pujara) outside the sub-con with the pacers doing the bulk of the bowling.

His style is not an attacking game. He is an old fashioned defensive minded batsman who grinds his way with grit and defensive technique. That does not mean he cannot keep the scoreboard ticking with ones and twos. Also he has the shots. Dravid was the same way, but Dravid did not get stuck as much as Pujara is doing these days. Not everyone in the team has to be swashbuckling. He certainly has better survival skills on tricky pitches than most other in the team. However, I do agree that he has to improve his game where he does not get stuck frequently.

Edited by dandaroy
20 hours ago, Straight Drive said:

Lets have a look of even SR of batsman.

Virat - 50.94

Ajinkya - 33.33

Chet - 27.93

Vijay - 25

Parthiv - 9.09

Rahul  - 0

Hardik - 0 

When that Chets SR of 27.93 is considered with average of 50 it is like gold when we compare it with Vijay, Parthiv, Rahul and Hardik. 

Sir salamat to pagdi hazaar. SR will matter only if batsman can survive. This is test cricket. Chet is second best only to Virat. Both are all conditions batters unlike some others who cannot bat on wickets provided in this series. The other batsmen just do not have ability like these two. SR to door door ki baat hai unke liye.

How is Chepu an all conditions batsmen? His previous overseas performances doesnt merit that accolade. 

Pappu gets some boundaries, KL and Vijay show initiative with running between the wickets...lo and behold the South African pace attack for the first time in the series comes under pressure and dishes up some bad balls and the score grows for the loss of no wicket (on one of the most seam bowler friendly wickets you can imagine)....this approach far more effective than the sitting in your bunker and inviting a phainty approach that has clearly worked wonders for us earlier on in this series.

Remarkable how some chewts struggle to understand basic cricketing psychology when the optimal protocols are clearly manifest,