Shubman Gill is a World Cup 2019 prospect, should be picked for England tour

Cricketics

3 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

I can see it can dent confidence if you are dropped form test side where its always hard to get your place back, but in ODI'S you usually are able to earn your place back and most players report how they have learned from their bad phase in the odi's in the past.

Gill playing in a tri series in Lanka is hard to put him in that situation where it will screw him up for the rest of his life. I mean we will be playing against bowlers who are not better than any of our FC bowlers.

It is just not realistic going from u-19 to international side directly period.

he has played 2 FC games and 8 List A.

maybe in the WI etc people get thrown in like that but not in a country like ours which has a proper structure.

2 minutes ago, sandeep said:

The last young batsman to get an express pass from u-19 all the way (close) to the top was........Shikhar Dhawan, way back in the mid-2000s.  Got bowled by a Pakistani pacer and was out in the wilderness till 2012-13.  .  

Dhawant did not make his debut till 2010. I don't know which Pakistan game you referring to.

3 minutes ago, sandeep said:

You are free to believe that Gill is ready, and wish to see him in the national team.  But don't make up false precedence for that - its never been the case in India that someone who hasn't played FC cricket straight-away gets the national debut.  

Gill has already made debut in first class and List A. It's not that he hasn't played at all. He played few games in Lista A, did not do too great but wasn't bad in First Class. Currently in high confidence, can be pushed into the middle in the nidhas series and can take it from there.

Just now, Cricketics said:

Dhawant did not make his debut till 2010. I don't know which Pakistan game you referring to.

Gill has already made debut in first class and List A. It's not that he hasn't played at all. He played few games in Lista A, did not do too great but wasn't bad in First Class. Currently in high confidence, can be pushed into the middle in the nidhas series and can take it from there.

Dude he needs to take that confidence from u-19 to FC and make an impact...that is more realistic.

How can a guy who played 8 List A games get into the no.1 team just like that without proving nothing especially when there are a lot of batsmen waiting in the wings.

Gill has to be fasttacked that doesn’t mean he needs to debut tommorow, let us se how he does in the next few months...if he continues the purple patch, get him even in the WC squad take a punt but that is one year Away so we don’t know anything yet.

3 minutes ago, King Tendulkar said:

Wtf . Lol jeez lol . Amazing how we number 1 test and odi team with such poor batting lol

It was an intentional hyperbole for our ODI team who have to depend on Kohli a lot. It seriously needs change as we can't expect to have all inconsistent guys like Rahane, Karthik, Dhoni etc in one team.

I think putting one young guy in there won't make too much of a difference at this time.

4 hours ago, sandeep said:

The last young batsman to get an express pass from u-19 all the way (close) to the top was........Shikhar Dhawan, way back in the mid-2000s.  Got bowled by a Pakistani pacer and was out in the wilderness till 2012-13.  

And the examples of Yuvi, Yusuf, Raina and even Rohit - all of these guys, including Virat - all of them, to a man, played FC cricket for a season and demonstrated quality at that level, before being given a debut.  

You are free to believe that Gill is ready, and wish to see him in the national team.  But don't make up false precedence for that - its never been the case in India that someone who hasn't played FC cricket straight-away gets the national debut.  

Hain? Shikhar Dhawan? When did he got bowled by a Pak Pacers in 2004? Dhawan debuted in 2010 against Aus and played just one games. He got his second chance in 2012 Aus test series.

13 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Hain? Shikhar Dhawan? When did he got bowled by a Pak Pacers in 2004? Dhawan debuted in 2010 against Aus and played just one games. He got his second chance in 2012 Aus test series.

He played in the WI Odis too I think in 2011 :p:the one where Rohit was mos in Odis and Ishant mos in tests 

7 hours ago, Vijy said:

zondo and miller have batted very badly in this series - they may have outscored our middle order but that's mostly down to coming in early and playing in pressure-free situations with the match almost lost. Our U19 batting is hardly as strong as you think it is - Shaw and Gill are exciting talents, esp the latter for ODIs and Kalra looked good, but that's about it. Desai was mostly tuk-tuk and Parag failed more consistently than Dhoni. Our A or even B teams are much better in terms of batting than the U19 team.

Supreme  court is not going to intervene when we try to fast track Gill to our senior team..I think so...so worth trying

6 hours ago, Cricketics said:

It was an intentional hyperbole for our ODI team who have to depend on Kohli a lot. It seriously needs change as we can't expect to have all inconsistent guys like Rahane, Karthik, Dhoni etc in one team.

I think putting one young guy in there won't make too much of a difference at this time.

We can replace that dreadful fielder Jadhav with Gill. Man he drops a catch every other match.

36 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

We can replace that dreadful fielder Jadhav with Gill. Man he drops a catch every other match.

He does, after this series we must take s call to drop or make some change. Or even if we don’t end up dropping anyone then at least Kohli himself must rest to make way for someone new.

8 hours ago, sarchasm said:

Shubman Gill currently getting a serious dose of reality check. Bowled for 4 against the tier two team of Odisha. Hopefully for the sake of his fangirls who haven't stopped soiling threads after threads over him, he doesn't turn out to be another Unmukt.

Opening is not his position, Punjab team needs to use him at 3 where he normally bats. “ it may stay dark for a day or two but the sun will eventually rise”  and what is wrong with Unmukt ? Last time I checked he scored a 100 and a 50 & still only 23-24. Have patience!

Gill has to play atleast 50 first class matches and 50-75 list - A matches along wirh couple of A tours to be considered. If that means he has to wait for 2-3 years, so be it.

The youngsters in Pak team that has been fast tracked like Shadab Khan , Hasan Ali and Fakhar Zaman atleast played 30-50 matches in domestic and PSL.

Edited by vijay50

All these runs are more impressive considering he's been opening the innings for Punjab(*Rohit sharma on suicide watch*).

I 'd still prefer him in the middle order though. Considering we have good options at 1 and 2 ( Rohit/Dhawan/Rahu). Our middle order still looks shaky. Rahane's failed to capitalise on his good innings in 1st ODI.

On 08/02/2018 at 11:32 AM, sarchasm said:

Shubman Gill currently getting a serious dose of reality check. Bowled for 4 against the tier two team of Odisha. Hopefully for the sake of his fangirls who haven't stopped soiling threads after threads over him, he doesn't turn out to be another Unmukt.

Scored a century today. 122(123) Just saying. Am all for giving him a season atleast before getting him into the side.