Model Gilu Joseph, who features on the Grihalakshmi cover, on why breastfeeding should be celebrated, not stigmatised

chapetmarunga

3 hours ago, beetle said:

You are comparing breast feeding to defecation. 

Wow  !

Yeah, WOW! Defecation/urination is a far more common activity and affects too many women (and men/children) in India. It literally is a pain in the arse for so many women as compared to "oh, i couldn't be bothered to carry/use a piece of cloth" mother.

Sure, it doesn't fall in the same pool as the oh so beautiful feeling women have when it comes to anything that has to do between them and their babies but yeah, they're all biological acts after all and I'd argue one is far more important & pressing issue than the other. 

Edited by Clarke

I’ve issue with this advert. Many women breast feed in public. All they do is put a cover on top for little bit of privacy and also to prevent dust or flies bothering the baby.

So in the advert you don’t have to show the breast in open to convert the message.

However my main issue is Gilu wearing very emphasised Vermillion and bindi... why?

Couldn’t the message be conveyed without stereotyping?

What would’ve happened to her (in Kerala) if she wore a Hijab?

Misplaced outrage. There is no social stigma on women feeding babies in India. Mother's are more concerned about babies being fed and they dont worry about who's watching them. They keep focusing on the babies rather than focusing whom to educate about breastfeeding.  And yes, they don't cover out of shame, but out of general decorum, hygiene, etc. What a farce of an issue.