If you had an unlimited budget to make a really good movie, what would it be about, who would be your music director and why?

Brainfade

I would make my movie about a either a farmer or a jawan, his/her family and the struggles they go through to feed / protect their nation.  It would revolve around day-to-day heroism, random acts of kindness that people show in spite of their own poverty.

My music director would be A R Rahman.  This was a no-brainer for me.  Growing up in the '80s in Bengaluru, I was getting tired of the same-old, same-old stuff (it may have been good, but it was stale) and ARR was a big breath of fresh air.  His innovative tunes, use of technology, and penchant for bringing in fresh and sometimes untrained voices and giving them a stage, all make him an obvious choice.  

As cliched as it may sound, I'd make DDLJ 2. Raj and Simran return to London, start a life together and Raj has to work for a change. How real life couple problems affect them. Marital discord and how they eventually over come it.

I'd keep the same music team of the original DDLJ:  Jatin Lalit as directors.

i would remake John Wick :hail:

Part 1:

JW will have a GF after the death of his wife .. Will throw in 4/5 songs ..

When JW is chasing iosef , his father  will kidnap JWs GF.

Then comes climax.

Part 2:

This time JWis happily married ( his GF in the first movie is his wife now ).

When JW  is chasing antonia , his men will kidnap his wife now.

Thne climax.

5 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

As cliched as it may sound, I'd make DDLJ 2. Raj and Simran return to London, start a life together and Raj has to work for a change. How real life couple problems affect them. Marital discord and how they eventually over come it.

I'd keep the same music team of the original DDLJ:  Jatin Lalit as directors.

You have got to be kidding me :whack2:

It was torture enough watching that clown trying to act giving those sheepishly boring expressions and horrible voice for the first time and now you want us to go through that trauma once again. :facepalm:

Most overrated film of 20th century.

If i had an unlimited budget, it'd be a TV series, not a movie. Movies are almost never as good as a TV series, mostly due t the 120-200 min timeframe. 

And what i'd do is make a historic TV series like Rome. It doesnt have to be completely correct historically and the historical characters would not be the main characters ( or not the central ones at least) - but fictional characters would be used to illustrate the mindset, culture, art and realities of the time i choose to portray. 

10 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

If i had an unlimited budget, it'd be a TV series, not a movie. Movies are almost never as good as a TV series, mostly due t the 120-200 min timeframe. 

And what i'd do is make a historic TV series like Rome. It doesnt have to be completely correct historically and the historical characters would not be the main characters ( or not the central ones at least) - but fictional characters would be used to illustrate the mindset, culture, art and realities of the time i choose to portray. 

Music director? Hans Zimmermann? 

20 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Rome was Fantastic. Pity they wrapped it up in only 2 seasons.

Imagine similar series around the time of Mughals in India. Would be a treat to watch.

And I would go with Alexandre despalt over Hans Zimmer.

1 hour ago, Stradlater said:

Rome was Fantastic. Pity they wrapped it up in only 2 seasons.

Imagine similar series around the time of Mughals in India. Would be a treat to watch.

And I would go with Alexandre despalt over Hans Zimmer.

Well i was thinking more about the demise of the Gupta empire period/ the Indo-Greek vs Shunga empire period or the even more intreaguing and 'blurred lines' of the Kannauj triangle tripartate struggle. 

32 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Well i was thinking more about the demise of the Gupta empire period/ the Indo-Greek vs Shunga empire period or the even more intreaguing and 'blurred lines' of the Kannauj triangle tripartate struggle. 

Or the adventures of Imperial Cholas in the South East Asia.

Imagine a series based on life and experiences of two Tamil soldiers in the Chola army  while they witness the events of historical importance serving under RajaRaja and Rajendra 1 just like Lucius and Pullo did under Ceaser.

Would be quite awesome!

Kannauj Tripartite would be a great idea too. Three great Indian Powers in the Rajput era warring to take control of the greatest city in the Subcontinent at that time while the threat of newly emerging power of Islam looms over them.

Mouth watering!

10 minutes ago, Stradlater said:

Or the adventures of Imperial Cholas in the South East Asia.

Imagine a series based on life and experiences of two Tamil soldiers in the Chola army  while they witness the events of historical importance serving under RajaRaja and Rajendra 1 just like Lucius and Pullo did under Ceaser.

Would be quite awesome!

Kannauj Tripartite would be a great idea too. Three great Indian Powers in the Rajput era warring to take control of the greatest city in the Subcontinent at that time while the threat of newly emerging power of Islam looms over them.

Mouth watering!

The adventures of Lukku issu Veer Unnas and Teetu issu Pullomam sounds like a great tale already !!

On a side note, i think the Kannuaj triangle tale is not going to be recieved well in India today. For its a tale that completely destroys the 'clash of Indic vs muslim civilization' narrative. 
The 3 main warring powers were Rashtrakuta, Pala and Gurjara (in that order of power). And to counter each other, they made great alliances with the muslims. The Rashtrakutas were allies with Abbasid Empire and then the Habbari dynasty of Sindh - to undermine the Gurjaras. 
The Palas were allies with (still hindu/Buddhist at this point) Kabul-shahis and the Habbaris vs the Gurjaras.

The Gurjaras were in turn allies with the Pallavas, the Kamrupa kingdom and the Samanids to counter the Rashtrakutas, Palas and the Abbasids/Habbaris.

What makes the conflict also so interesting, is that the three sides had three different methods of war: Palas followed the ancient Indian tradition of chariots, war elephants and cannon-fodder infantry. The Gurjaras used the central asian model of overwhelming cavalry, while the Rashtrakutas were the first and probably the only imperium in India that came up with well structured, well trained heavy infantry soldiers - not as heavy as the Greco-Roman ones ofcourse ( that much metal will melt you in the desi heat) but ordered infantry formations.....

5 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

The adventures of Lukku issu Veer Unnas and Teetu issu Pullomam sounds like a great tale already !!

On a side note, i think the Kannuaj triangle tale is not going to be recieved well in India today. For its a tale that completely destroys the 'clash of Indic vs muslim civilization' narrative. 
The 3 main warring powers were Rashtrakuta, Pala and Gurjara (in that order of power). And to counter each other, they made great alliances with the muslims. The Rashtrakutas were allies with Abbasid Empire and then the Habbari dynasty of Sindh - to undermine the Gurjaras. 
The Palas were allies with (still hindu/Buddhist at this point) Kabul-shahis and the Habbaris vs the Gurjaras.

The Gurjaras were in turn allies with the Pallavas, the Kamrupa kingdom and the Samanids to counter the Rashtrakutas, Palas and the Abbasids/Habbaris.

What makes the conflict also so interesting, is that the three sides had three different methods of war: Palas followed the ancient Indian tradition of chariots, war elephants and cannon-fodder infantry. The Gurjaras used the central asian model of overwhelming cavalry, while the Rashtrakutas were the first and probably the only imperium in India that came up with well structured, well trained heavy infantry soldiers - not as heavy as the Greco-Roman ones ofcourse ( that much metal will melt you in the desi heat) but ordered infantry formations.....

Yeah well there's that too but it could also be shown that how great Pratihar kings like Mihirbhoj and allies put a break to the unstoppable chariot of Ummayad Caliphate and the great battles fought such as battle of Rajasthan which saw a triple alliance kicking Arab asses so badly that for two centuries they didn't have the courage to invade India while at the same time the combined Caliphate armies reached as far back as France.

Could insert a nice short story about the legendary Bappa Rawal who is revered in Rajasthan for stopping Arabs.

Early Rajputs would make for a great show. Them vs Muslims was a fierce contests with the former in advantage most of the time until the Turks came into the scene.

1 minute ago, Stradlater said:

Yeah well there's that too but it could also be shown that how great Pratihar kings like Mihirbhoj and allies put a break to the unstoppable chariot of Ummayad Caliphate and the great battles fought such as battle of Rajasthan which saw a triple alliance kicking Arab asses so badly that for two centuries they didn't have the courage to invade India while at the same time the combined Caliphate armies reached as far back as France.

Could insert a nice short story about the legendary Bappa Rawal who is revered in Rajasthan for stopping Arabs.

Early Rajputs would make for a great show. Them vs Muslims was a fierce contests with the former in advantage most of the time until the Turks came into the scene.

The ones i find most underrated and most interesting, are the Rashtrakutas. Literally owned India all and sundry for most of the period (Rashtrakutas were the dominant power in the tripartite struggle), yet no one hardly ever knows of them. 
They also did something no other Indian dynasty has ever done - cross the Vindhyas from south to north and assert dominance in the indo-gangetic plains while being a southern power. 

Anyways, yea, that'd be my choice. A rome-like series that is a-historical in the narrative but highly historical in the art, the culture, the lifestyle and the imagery.

2 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

The ones i find most underrated and most interesting, are the Rashtrakutas. Literally owned India all and sundry for most of the period (Rashtrakutas were the dominant power in the tripartite struggle), yet no one hardly ever knows of them. 
They also did something no other Indian dynasty has ever done - cross the Vindhyas from south to north and assert dominance in the indo-gangetic plains while being a southern power. 

Anyways, yea, that'd be my choice. A rome-like series that is a-historical in the narrative but highly historical in the art, the culture, the lifestyle and the imagery.

Fun fact: Rathore rulers of Marwar region considered themselves ( and still do) as descendents of Rashtrakutas. Dunno how true that claim is though.

A semi-masala film set during British Raj. May be in WW2 era using a combination of freedom struggle and Indiana Jones like story line 

Cast: Since many folks tell me that I should have joined movies, may be will act in it (after all its my $ :dontknow: )

Background score by late John Barry (assuming he would be alive)

Songs (if required) by RD Burman

Directed by David Lean (or Spielberg) as they are masters of such genre 

9 hours ago, Brainfade said:

I would make my movie about a either a farmer or a jawan, his/her family and the struggles they go through to feed / protect their nation.  It would revolve around day-to-day heroism, random acts of kindness that people show in spite of their own poverty.

My music director would be A R Rahman.  This was a no-brainer for me.  Growing up in the '80s in Bengaluru, I was getting tired of the same-old, same-old stuff (it may have been good, but it was stale) and ARR was a big breath of fresh air.  His innovative tunes, use of technology, and penchant for bringing in fresh and sometimes untrained voices and giving them a stage, all make him an obvious choice.  

you dont need an unlimited budget to make such a film.