Ancient Indian Architecture !!!

velu

https://swarajyamag.com/ideas/how-to-free-our-temples-from-government-control-plan-b

A good series ran in swarajya on the plan to free Hindu temples from government control. A serious problem has been created by giving control to ASI which are infested by commie historians and non-Hindus like Irfan Habib  who don't respect the sanctity of the ancient temples. 

Reforming Archaeological Survey Of India (ASI)

One proposal that deserves debate is whether to have a separate ASI-like body for Hindu religious structures, keeping in mind the need to continue or restore worship in ASI-administered temples. Other essential reforms that can be proposed include the need to involve local communities in the administration of the temples, which follow the Sri Dharmasthala Manjunathehwara (SDM) model for jeernoddhara (repair and restoration of worship in temples). Here, the ASI-like body contributed around 40 per cent of the total cost, with the local community being tasked with bringing in the rest. The government of India can chip in by allowing contributions from corporate social responsibility (CSR) funds to be used for the restoration.

10 hours ago, Gollum said:

Hope GOI promotes these ancient marvels just like they do with Delhi Sultanate and Mughal architecture. I get a feeling there was more thrust on Islamic architecture under Congress rule when Marxist history professors were in charge of culture department, ASI, National Museum etc. I am not denying the beauty of the Taj Mahals and Qutb Minars but there are many more masterpieces across the country and much older too. South is lucky they have their architecture still surviving.

The Taj Mahal is the pinnacle of Indian aesthetic beauty. The whole world knows of it. 
The Kailasnatha temple in Ellora is the pinnacle of Indian architectural nous...practically nobody knows of it and its in Ellora complex itself...

5 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

This advocate Sai Deepak is also fighting for Sabarimala in the SC. A very good information.

I advocate exactly the opposite. ALL places of religious worship and its fund should fall under government control, not just Hindu/Jain ones.

6 hours ago, Gollum said:

Sorry, they have historically promoted Islamic architecture (Marxist influence) but on top of that even now there is a major focus on a few pockets like Delhi, UP, Punjab, Rajasthan (latter 2 lesser than former 2 though) etc. For example why don't they promote Gol Gumbaz (Bijapur) like they do with some rather less impressive architecture in Delhi from the Sultanate period? And I think you are mistaken if you feel that they give the same treatment to Konark Sun temple and South Indian temples like they do with Mughal architecture in North India.

Yep. But this is the age-old case of 'what flies in the ganges plains becomes #1 for India' syndrome. In ancient times, 'ganges culture' was dictated by the whole Magadh+Bengal region for exteded periods of time. Currently, this region is divided internationally so the focus is the Punjab-to-Bihar belt. This is where Muslim architecture reigns supreme.

This isn't about Muslim/Hindu totally, this also has a component of Federal government shamelessly promoting the whole 'Dehli/UP->Hindi belt' as Indian culture, because that is local to Delhi.

It also helps, that the recent mughal architecture, is in far better shape (for being newer and not tried to be desecrated) than many in India and easier to reach via Delhi. 

Care to explain this? 
India’s top 5 revenue generating monuments were all

built by Muslim rulers

Do you seriously mean to say that there is no Hindu/Jain/Buddhist architecture to even make it to the top 5? 2500 years of history and we have nothing to show the world? Notice that there are no Muslim monuments from South or even West/East for that matter. Clearly this is not just a religious issue but also a geographical one. 

This is also a question of infrastructure. Top 5 are close to Delhi. Delhi has generated the tourism industry around it dillgently. That is why. 

You may find it uncomfortable to hear but Congress has surrendered the dharmic culture of this country before the desert cultists just for appeasement. I don't have any problem if one loves and admires Muslims/Pakistanis or takes great pride in the Islamic monuments (freedom of choice) but one simply can't deny that under Congress rule we were taught a sanitized version of history and Hindus were made to feel embarrassed about their history and culture...this extended to all parts of our culture including tourist places.

Yes. And with good cause. Look at India today. Indian people are largely, inexperienced in the actual histories, arts, etc. to a greater level outside their 'ghisa-pita-local-crap'. Simple truth of Indian history is, Muslim turks repeatedly genocided the heck out of the Indian subcontinent, in a west-to-east gradient. Prior to the muslims, the Yeopthal people ( Aka the Hepthalites, aka the Alchol Huns, aka the Abdalis) laid to waste pretty much what is entire northern Pakistan. 
People now hate each other over this and it is increasing friction between 150+ million Indians with another 900+ million hating upon them.

If teaching people a BS history and sanitized version & lies of the past to keep these two humongous groups from trying to kill each other/survive annihilation from, for a country with 30% or less literacy at the start (and even today, effectivey barely 70%)  it is a no-brainer. 

There are only two options to manage this:

a) sanitized history, that somehow keeps this minority alive and ticking. This can be done two ways : Congressi style or Soviet stallinist reform style (authoritarian). Again, no-brainer on what to pick on this.

b)Unsanitized truth and put it on a path towards Hitler-ite, Nazi pogroms. The alram with the Hinduvta milking the whole 'Indians got whacked by the Islamic-turks' ( never that we were less capable and deserved to get whacked if we cannot defend ourselves despite having thousands of years to work at it) is that it sets into motion this way for a low income, low education country.

If you wanted to whine about what patriotic (ie, good for the nation), pretty sure the Congressi position on Indian history is iron-clad in its logic. 

Time has come to take back what is rightfully ours, preserve our Islamic medieval past but also loosen the purse strings for our ancient past (and medieval non Muslim past). At the same time treat all parts of India equally. GOI wants to show Delhi's Islamic past fine, but even the Deccan and Bengal had a long and illustrious Islamic past that can't be swept under the carpet. And our treasure of temples in South India needs a leg-up....there is no justifiable reason for zero non Islamic monuments in the top 5. 

There is. Its called logistics. 

I am a tourist, have been a life-long tourist. And India more or less sucks for tourists. Its not just about the money, its the infrastructure. How the nation caters to the tourists. Tourists largely come in two types: party mentality tourists, who wanna see sights and party hard after it or tourists who wanna do some activity and then relax hard at a lavishly provided hotel with the children playing around etc. types. 
India doesn't cater well to either types. With that in mind, it is a no-brainer why the top-5 sites, with Delhi's gentle prodding, would be sites that are easiest seen from Delhi. 

India has a lot of tourism potential, but for it, India needs to carefully build its brand image. 

One thing Indians need to accept, PERIOD, is that the Taj Mahal will always be the darling of the world. How can it not be ? Aesthetically immaculate, so intricate, fragile and yet robust, all built for love of a woman by one of the most powerful men on the planet. An ode to love. 
No monument will ever top the 'ah' factor amongst couples and humanity in general to see this, to cherish this monument that beautifully matches its intent and description. No amount of hinduvta hand-wringing will change that, short of blowing it up and looking like the biggest sore-losers in history of sore-losers. 

The world, which ultimately cares only so much for India's politics (which is natural for us all), combined will always associate Taj Mahal as the primeir attraction of India as long as it is kept tourist-friendly.

Soapstone architecture in Belur and Halebid is simply stunning.  Here is a picture (not one I took) from the skirting around the Belur Chennakeshava temple.  Apparently no 2 elephants have the same pose.  

I had visited there when I was a stupid kid with no appreciation for anything but cricket, but we visited 3 years ago when we were in India.  Beautiful drive from Bengaluru. Certain don't-miss spots!  You can do Belur, Halebid and Sravanabelagola (the 57-ft monolithic statue of Bahubali) all in one day.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGf2EeiE2pK8uPOxbrAPK

Edited by Brainfade

I agree with @Gollum,

we spend too much money on Mughal and invader sites and neglect native sites. 

This applies to the Taj Mahal as well, its fame seems more marketing/branding to me. Neither is it that big a revenue generator that it gets so many restorations, seemingly every few years, while actual heritage sites are ignored.  

Look at this

DfFE8pjU8AAb5la.jpg

DfFGgRrVMAECmcy.jpg

A tent in Ayodhya earns more than the 5 largest centrally protected monuments. 

That shows a disconnect between what the central government is promoting and what actual people want to see/visit. (That's not to mention the Taj is a symbol of barbarism where the laborers/craftsmen had their hands amputated after its construction or that Shah Jahan had many other concubines/wives. What a thing to celebrate as a symbol of "love" )

edit:

monuments.jpg

Edited by Moochad

On topic, I want to take a long vacation when older and travel all around the South India seeing all the architecture there. I usually only travel to either Gujarat or Karnataka when I leave outside Maharashtra 

We need more across state travel packages/tours offered by tourism companies

7 hours ago, Brainfade said:

Soapstone architecture in Belur and Halebid is simply stunning.  Here is a picture (not one I took) from the skirting around the Belur Chennakeshava temple.  Apparently no 2 elephants have the same pose.  

I had visited there when I was a stupid kid with no appreciation for anything but cricket, but we visited 3 years ago when we were in India.  Beautiful drive from Bengaluru. Certain don't-miss spots!  You can do Belur, Halebid and Sravanabelagola (the 57-ft monolithic statue of Bahubali) all in one day.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGf2EeiE2pK8uPOxbrAPK

How far is Hampi from Bengaluru - logistically speaking.  Is it a daytrip, or requires more than 1 day?

8 minutes ago, sandeep said:

How far is Hampi from Bengaluru - logistically speaking.  Is it a daytrip, or requires more than 1 day?

About 7 hr if you have your own transport. Typically you leave early morn and reach there by noon. 1/2 day for Hampi and next day till noon or so. And they you drive back. I would go relax for a whole day, there are couple of resorts near Hampi now. 

48 minutes ago, sandeep said:

quite far ..  i never visited but it looks like to visit all the places , we need two days

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

I've never been either. It's 350 km. Definitely overnight trip. 

59 minutes ago, velu said:

quite far ..  i never visited but it looks like to visit all the places , we need two days

2 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

About 7 hr if you have your own transport. Typically you leave early morn and reach there by noon. 1/2 day for Hampi and next day till noon or so. And they you drive back. I would go relax for a whole day, there are couple of resorts near Hampi now. 

seen few firangi travelers spending 3/4 days there as well 

Edited by velu

On 7/30/2018 at 2:18 PM, Stradlater said:

Nothing in our side?

Interesting topic to look into. Haven't really looked into this much but there's few historic sites dating back to the Ramayan around Amritsar but most of the architecture style  seems recent or renovated.  Bathinda fort is said to be 1800 years old  A lot of the famous mandirs,mosques, gurudwaras are from last 400 or so years or atleast the style seems from that time period. Some Jain temples sites are considered to be ancient as well.  In Dholbaha, Hoshiarpur, they have discovered architectural remains which date back to the Harappan civ to around 1200-800 years back

Dholbaha, Hoshiarpur

icon_77.jpg

2M0jYyg.png

Dholbaha is a rich archaeological site reportedly in existence since prehistoric times. Based on the cache of artefacts recovered here, scholars are of the opinion that Dholbaha was among the early inhabited regions of the world. Its historical relevance was first discovered when a variety of sculptures dating back to ancient and early medieval dynasties were found lying around the village. Many of the discoveries from the Gurjara-Pratiharas and the Paramaras dynasties can now be viewed at the Hoshiarpur Archaeological Museum.

http://punjabtourism.gov.in/Punjab.html#/attraction/77/dholbaha

p.s cricket is back..might be more active in cricket forum or watching cric :--D

Edited by PBN