England v India: How can we put an end to one-sided Test series?

chewy

I had said it before too, have just a 3 test match series.  No more than that.  In this day and age, and 5 test match series is overkill.  No teams other than Indian, Aus, and England play more than 3-test series. Let England and Aus play 5 test Ashes.  We do not need to follow them.  I dont think we have ever done well in 4-5 test series.  Even if we start well, we cannot sustain it through out the series.

2 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

What type of handling they can do?

They have to plan in advance for sure. They can't do it overnight.

All tests are played in different venues. 

Take simple case of hotel bookings for 100 people (just players, staff and match officials). What type of professional planning can allow them to book the hotel till 3rd test and cancel it based on outcome of third test? This number will be higher if you include journalist and all other arrangements.

Same goes for flight bookings. In case remaining tests are cancelled, they will reschedule the flights for everyone. 

What about spectators who travel from different places to see the match, how is it fair to them? Will boards refund their expenses?

If all matches are in same city then govt can even plan for it. But for a different city why will govt arrange 10k policeman for a venue only to cancel it with week notice? 

It can be handled by professionals, but overall loss is not worth for idea of removing dead rubbers.

This can be factored in as fixed costs for the series. The test can be in the same or nearby city, so again not an issue that professionals cannot handle 

You are factoring P/L based on each game,  while I am doing it based on the series where certain costs can be  fixed and certain variable so it is more about managing the margin

Most test series consist of 3 or less tests, so a 5 test series would be more like adding two more tests if required from a planning perspective. Even a 2-1 status will allow for an additional test. A 5 test series ending at 3rd test will only happen in a 3-0 scenario. In such a scenario, the 2 more tests are pointless 

Edited by zen
1 hour ago, beetle said:

That is getting too close to fixing results.

Economics guiding results will always end in dirty play.

I m referring to fixed and variable costs associated with hosting the series and accounting for certain costs as fixed when planning for revenues .... which can be managed proactively 

Edited by zen
2 hours ago, zen said:

If money is the main consideration, organize more test in a series :dontknow:  .... the idea is to curtail unnecessary uncompetitive games that could hurt test cricket in the long run

A lot of pre-planning has to be done to have a match.  

Cancelling a match ... or inserting one if needed ... are not viable options for either the on-field organizers or TV channels.

For example, see how the organizers pleased when we wanted to curtail the days of just a practice match. That too ... this was not a test match and did not involve the TV angle.

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

I had said it before too, have just a 3 test match series.  No more than that.  In this day and age, and 5 test match series is overkill.  No teams other than Indian, Aus, and England play more than 3-test series. Let England and Aus play 5 test Ashes.  We do not need to follow them.  I dont think we have ever done well in 4-5 test series.  Even if we start well, we cannot sustain it through out the series.

5 test series create good viewer interest if the opponent is good or there is some rivalry involved.

I see and hear people wanting long test series vs Australia, England, Pakistan and South Africa.  After the win in the 3rd test in SA 2018, so many fans were wishing it were a 5 test series.  The 4 test series against Australia 2017, created a lot of viewer and fan interest too, especially the 4th test.

Viewer interest and fan interest really drop even when there is a brief test series against weak teams like Sri Lanka of today, West Indies, Bangladesh etc. 

18 minutes ago, express bowling said:

A lot of pre-planning has to be done to have a match.  

Cancelling a match ... or inserting one if needed ... are not viable options for either the on-field organizers or TV channels.

For example, see how the organizers pleased when we wanted to curtail the days of just a practice match. That too ... this was not a test match and did not involve the TV angle.

playing a 5 test series planned on 3 +1 + 1 basis is different 

Edited by zen
20 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Would you refund money to people who travel from different cities and countries to watch the match?

Tickets would be available for first 3 tests only, with other games opening up based on status as the series progresses. For e.g. if the first test is a draw, it automatically opens up the 4th test and so on

I don’t know why you are focusing on details unnecessary. Think outside the box. New concept, new rules 

Edited by zen
12 hours ago, zen said:

Tickets would be available for first 3 tests only, with other games opening up based on status as the series progresses. For e.g. if the first test is a draw, it automatically opens up the 4th test and so on

I don’t know why you are focusing on details unnecessary. Think outside the box. New concept, new rules 

Not really, since the next two test matches could go as 2-0 for a team. It is not necessary that the result of test 2 and 3 will be like 1-1. So, if planning is done for 4th test match after 1st match draw, then the 4th match can still be a dead-rubber.

What you are saying is idealistically good but from the posts of @Trichromatic and others, I gather it is practically infeasible.

The solution is to conduct only 3 or 4 match series as much as possible. 5 test match series is a bit too long. I wonder how many times such a series goes into the 5th match with something to decide regarding the series. 

10 hours ago, sarcastic said:

Not really, since the next two test matches could go as 2-0 for a team. It is not necessary that the result of test 2 and 3 will be like 1-1. So, if planning is done for 4th test match after 1st match draw, then the 4th match can still be a dead-rubber.

What you are saying is idealistically good but from the posts of @Trichromatic and others, I gather it is practically infeasible.

If the next two matches are 2-0, then we have to wait for the 3rd test to end to see if the 4th test opens up. Above was only one scenario. It is understood that there would be multiple scenarios and things would proceed to next level once the status of the series is clear. The status can be clear after the 1st test if it is a draw, or  after 2nd test, and so on (we do not have to list all the possible scenarios).  Basically to not go the the 4th test, a team has to be 3-0 up in 3 tests 

Many of us are judging this based on existing rules and unnecessarily appling those to the new concept ....  It can be implemented

3+1+1 adds a new dimension to a series. As if one of the teams is weak, the series ends sooner. If the teams are evenly matched, other levels open up to possibly create more excitement. Additionally, teams would not want the series to end at the first level so there is motivation for players to apply themselves more relatively. This type of arrangement can be for a longer series i.e. series where teams want to play more than 2-3 tests

Edited by zen

Why is this question even arising. Everywhere else we have better series. Indian batsmen needs to work on batting technique and attitude.

Right in the beginning of the test in Edgbaston, I said, Our bats should go with an attitude, "Park the bus. Have a solid defense. Think, No matter what we are not loosing this match". But what happened. We thought that attitude was back there but then We dropped the guard in second inning when Stokes came as change bowler.

Bottom line is, We need to have a desire and ambition to win a match. Right now, captain is clueless, what role he wants from each player.