ODIS: Rohit vs Kohli

mishra

Kohli and Sharma feed off each other. They have mutual respect and admiration for each other on the field and are great friends off it – this bonhomie between them gets translated onto the field.

Kohli has often stated that he regards Rohit as a more talented batsman. He loves to watch him bat from the non-striker’s end and is always in complete awe of the Indian opener – his timing, elegance and shot-making ability. Rohit, on the other hand has praised Kohli for his attacking and aggressive captaincy and his ruthless and clinical efficiency and consistency in the format.

There is also a pattern to their batting partnership. More often than not one of them assumes the role of the aggressor and the other plays second fiddle and the role of the anchor – till his partner is dismissed – thereafter changing gears himself. Usually, Rohit has gone after the bowling initially with Kohli anchoring the innings. However, these roles were reversed in Guwahati.

It is also not a secret that the duo hardly converse while batting together in the middle. This is because of the understanding they have of each other’s games and the confidence in each other’s ability. They are both excellent readers of the game and the situation. And they both love to bat and score big runs.

Rohit feels assured at the crease with the captain and the best batsman in the team at the other end. He can play his natural game and go after the bowling.

Kohli does not feel the pressure to up the ante with Rohit at the other end. He can play the role of the anchor and accelerate later.

Rohit is 31 while Kohli is just 29. With at least 4-5 years of their cricketing partnership still left, one can only wonder how many more records will be broken by the He-Man and Super-Man of India’s batting.

https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/news/the-virat-rohit-combo-indias-he-man-and-super-man-in-odi-cricket-1916539.html

9 hours ago, jusarrived said:

I can list over a dozen matches which India would have lost if not for Virat, this against good quality teams. Can't believe we are comparing him to a  guy who rarely shows up when it gets tough is compared to him. 

Before the south africa series which match kohli won with bat against aus, england or new zealand in their home ground? None i guess. Both were scoring runs in 2016 Aus tour and both were unable to score match winning ton. Rohit had 99 odd in last match which pandey won us. Please post those dozen of matches for me.

9 hours ago, jusarrived said:

That's such a sad little list for an opener who gets the most opportunities to get big scores and make an impact, Infact we lost 2 of the 3 matches you listed? 

No, I posted few of his top knocks. Loosing doesn't mean those weren't good knocks? sad little List? what? he already has 6 150+ scores. 20 odi centuries. Will finish with 12 - 15 more in odis. He will be considered as one of the indian great along with ganguly, dravid & sehwag in odis.

43 minutes ago, Nikola said:

Before the south africa series which match kohli won with bat against aus, england or new zealand in their home ground? None i guess. Both were scoring runs in 2016 Aus tour and both were unable to score match winning ton. Rohit had 99 odd in last match which pandey won us. Please post those dozen of matches for me.

We lost the 2016 aus tour mainly because of our bowlers. They weren't taking wickets and leaking runs aplenty.

6 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

Please list those matches.

KOHLI:

118 against Australia before 2011wc

105 against NZ 

133 in Hobart 

183 against Pakistan 

105 in Sri Lanka 

128 in Sri Lanka 

107 against Pakistan 

138 against South Africa at home 

154 vs NZ at home 

110 in South Africa 

160 in South Africa 

*Excluded matches against weaker teams(WI, BAN, SL(post Malinga), ZIM). 

*Excluded matches in which any other player also made a hundred). 

*Excluded matches India lost. 

*Excluded dead rubbers. 

Now let's look at ROHIT:

101 in Sri Lanka in 2010.

209 against Australia 

137 in England 2018.

So Kohli's 11 vs Rohits's 3.

31 minutes ago, Jamadagni said:

KOHLI:

105 against NZ 

133 in Hobart 

183 against Pakistan 

105 in Sri Lanka 

128 in Sri Lanka 

107 against Pakistan 

154 vs NZ at home 

110 in South Africa 

160 in South Africa 

*Excluded dead rubbers. 

Now let's look at ROHIT:

209 against Australia 

137 in England 2018.

Lol this looks troll post picking most innings of kohli and skipping of rohit.

I am going to post few imp knocks he played. Yes some came in loss but he did everything that was possible to win in that matches.

141 vs Aus 2013

138 vs Aus 2015 

137 vs BAN Quarter Final 2015 WC (way more imp than kohli's 107 vs pak)

150 vs SA 2015

171 vs Aus 2015

99 vs Aus (Match Winning)

124 vs SL (were 4-61 when Dananjaya was on fire while chasing 217)

125 vs Aus 2017 (only ton from india in series + highest scorer)

115 vs SA 2018

137 vs Eng (only ton from indian side in series)

There are many other matches i didn't include like recent pak century, 

I know why you filtered only wins, removed matches where other players scored 100, and excluded dead rubber runs.

Edited by Nikola
30 minutes ago, Jamadagni said:

KOHLI:

105 against NZ 

133 in Hobart 

183 against Pakistan 

105 in Sri Lanka 

128 in Sri Lanka 

107 against Pakistan 

154 vs NZ at home 

110 in South Africa 

160 in South Africa 

*Excluded dead rubbers. 

Now let's look at ROHIT:

209 against Australia 

137 in England 2018.

Which ones of those 11 come under "when it gets tough"?

10 minutes ago, Nikola said:

Lol this looks troll post picking most innings of kohli and skipping of rohit.

I am going to post few imp knocks he played. Yes some came in loss but he did everything that was possible to win in that matches.

141 vs Aus 2013( KOHLI'S 50-BALL 100 WAS EQUALLY IMPORTANT) 

138 vs Aus 2015 (LOST CAUSE

137 vs BAN Quarter Final 2015 WC (way more imp than kohli's 107 vs pak)(YES VERY GOOD KNOCK) 

150 vs SA 2015(LOST

171 vs Aus 2015(LOST

99 vs Aus (Match Winning)(PANDEY WON THE GAME) 

124 vs SL (were 4-61 when Dananjaya was on fire while chasing 217)(DEAD RUBBER) 

125 vs Aus 2017 (only ton from india in series + highest scorer)(DEAD RUBBER

115 vs SA 2018(DEAD RUBBER

137 vs Eng (only ton from indian side in series)(I LISTED THIS ALREADY

There are many other matches i didn't include like recent pak century, 

I know why you filtered only wins, removed matches where other players scored 100, and excluded dead rubber runs.

I used same filter for both players and the results are there for you all. If you remove that filter, Kohli will have another dozen of matches when he won games for India. Not much to discuss here. 

19 minutes ago, Jamadagni said:

We are comparing Kohli with Rohit here and matches where only one player made significant contribution to the win. 

Everyone knows there is big gap between kohli and rohit but you are just underrating rohit for his performance in odis.

16 hours ago, UnknownGenius said:

Yes that's why MSD is an all time ODI great up there with Virat as India's two best ever ODI batsman of all time. because batting at #6 etc is very difficult. 

MSD is the biggest FTB, out of 10-11 century which he hits none were outside asia....he got lot of opportunity to show his worth in wc -15 ct-13, ct-17 numerous t 20 wc but he choose to play selfish inning.

19 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

How does that translates to "when it gets tough"?

This thread is about Rohit vs Kohli.... Anyway almost all innings I listed out were made in difficult situations...be it Hobart knock when we needed to chase it inside 40 overs or 183 vs Pakistan which was a must win match after losing to Bangladesh or a masterclass innings in 4th ODI against SA at home on a slow pitch or 150 odd against NZ chasing 320+ or his 3 hundreds in South Africa which helped us win our FIRST series over there.... 

1 hour ago, Trichromatic said:

How does that translates to "when it gets tough"?

Tough means when Rohit and Dhawan both are out cheaply. Anything else doesnt suffice tough as in  most other cases, by the time Kohli has walked in, bowling has become toothless. There is nothing but scoreboard pressure.

If anyone can find a stat based on S/R and average for Kohli when both our openers are out cheaply, that will measure how mentally tough Kohli has to be.

And then compare that toughness to someone like Yuvi or MSD , that will give true measure. Offcourse, you need to factor in 300+ score as norm in two new ball cricket.

Edited by mishra