“Leave India,” Virat Kohli Tells Fan Who Like Foreign Batsmen More Than Indian Batsmen and the tale of Sachin and his Ferrari

23 minutes ago, beetle said:

So , people can just get gifted  a ton of gold and enter country and refuse to pay duty on it because it was gifted?

That can be a good business .

Did Tendulkar refuse to pay duty? He did not refuse it.  He just asked for exemption.  After that, it was up to concerned people what to do.  Regarding gold, i don't think any sane person would want to receive gold as gift paying 120% duty.  That person would use that money to buy gold in India itself.  Also, gold is counted as a monetary asset.

Edited by rkt.india
4 hours ago, beetle said:

Using ones clout to get some favor from politicians is generally called corruption.Had a politician's son done the same...he would be getting called names.

Using words like lobbying does not change that.

He had the option of not taking the gift or making sure the gifters paid the money due to the govt.....instead of getting a politician to sign off the dues.

Filing for an exemption is a right, not corruption. Politician's son and daughters can do the same.

9 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

@beetle ji what about Rahul Dravid taking money for coaching little kids. He should do it for free. He has already earned a lot of money from his playing days. He is charging money to train innocent kids :no:

Babaji ....only you give gyan for free...rest all have to work.

I am sure Dravid is paying the due taxes on the money he is getting as guru dakshina. He is a law abiding citizen ....not a flawed god.

4 minutes ago, beetle said:

I am sure Dravid is paying the due taxes on the money he is getting as guru dakshina. He is a law abiding citizen ....not a flawed god.

Let us hope he clearly tells his accountant not to look for any loopholes or apply for tax breaks and pay the full % 

Edited by Global.Baba
14 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Did Tendulkar refuse to pay duty? He did not refuse it.  He just asked for exemption.  After that, it was up to concerned people what to do.  Regarding gold, i don't think any sane person would want to receive gold as gift paying 120% duty.  That person would use that money to buy gold in India itself.  Also, gold is counted as a monetary asset.

Using your influence with politicians to get exemption is corruption . He just asked for a favor that was not right and the corrupt politician agreed. Sab khush ...desh jaye bhaad mein.

How is this any different from other forms of corruption?

Agreed about the gold. Only an idiot would take the gift and pay 120 % duty on it. Tendulkar should have also refused to take such a gift. 

Instead he took it and used his influence with a politician to get an exemption.

21 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Why did he ask for exemption. Who is he? Can I get an exemtion if I get a new car? tendu was selfish.

3 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

Let us hope he clearly tells his accountant not to look for any loopholes or apply for tax breaks and pay the full % 

As long as he is not looking for a politician to do favors and only looking for legal exemptions  according to the law of the land ....it is fine .

Don't worry ,if Dravid screws up...the god's bhakts will make sure to it becomes a big issue.....no chinta baba ji.

3 minutes ago, Khota said:

Why did he ask for exemption. Who is he? Can I get an exemtion if I get a new car? tendu was selfish.

Ever heard the concept of going to an accountant and looking at every loophole to get a refund?

people go the next state if it is close by for shopping if there is no tax or  if goods are cheaper. Pretty sure you and me would try and save a buck if we can. This isn’t some extraordinary circumstance. Stop making a big deal of it 

How is this any different? 

15 minutes ago, beetle said:

a law abiding citizen can ask for exemption from taxes too. Its within a law abding citizen's right to request such things from the government.

1 minute ago, Global.Baba said:

Unbeleivable that there are so many amazing citizens on this forum, who would like to pay the government every penny out of pocket if they could :cantstop:

More like when they go to an accountant to file their taxes and the accountant says ' this is tax-deductible expense', i am sure all these mahaan-atmas go 'no no, dont count it as tax deductible, infact declare it as a personal expense....desh ki rakhshaa hogi!'

14 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

Ever heard the concept of going to an accountant and looking at every loophole to get a refund?

people go the next state if it is close by for shopping if there is no tax or  if goods are cheaper. Pretty sure you and me would try and save a buck if we can. This isn’t some extraordinary circumstance. Stop making a big deal of it 

How is this any different? 

I have heard of that. If there is an existing provision then it is fine. This man was trying to influence that thru politicians and that is crooked. That is like stealing money.

Now there is nothing wrong if there is a provision by which you can bring in a Ferrari too and I can and everyone else can.

Edited by Khota
5 minutes ago, Khota said:

I have heard of that. If there is an existing provision then it is fine. This man was trying to influence that thru politicians and that is crooked. That is like stealing money.

Now there is nothing wrong if there is a provision by which you can bring in a Ferrari too.

You are telling me you have never used influence or called in a favor from a friend/relative ever?

Did Sachin buy a Ferrari and then avoid paying tax on it?

Someone gives you a free gift but then you realize you have to pay money on it for something you didn’t even buy of your free will,pretty sure each and every one of us would do the same. Clearly it is not a matter of few chump change. It’s import duty on a frickin Ferrari a very expensive car.

I mean how are people not getting such a straightforward concept? 

:wall:

Edited by Global.Baba
5 minutes ago, Khota said:

Now there is nothing wrong if there is a provision by which you can bring in a Ferrari too and I can and everyone else can.

No, the man applied for an exemption through the proper channels. perfectly legal and happen all the time. anyone can apply for an exemption to import duty tax. I have applied for it too in the past. 

5 hours ago, beetle said:

Using ones clout to get some favor from politicians is generally called corruption.Had a politician's son done the same...he would be getting called names.

Using words like lobbying does not change that.

He had the option of not taking the gift or making sure the gifters paid the money due to the govt.....instead of getting a politician to sign off the dues.

Beetleji please make up your mind! Initially you said evasion of duty. Now you are saying its corruption.

In legal speak, the line between lobbying and corruption is very thin, but the definitive difference is that lobbying is an open process and done in total transparency. Corruption is when its a cloak and daggers things. When other's don't know that there is a push for a certain law/amendment/exemption etc.

And in this case, if people weren't aware about the lobbying, there would be no PIL. Under the purview of the laws of the land, this is not corruption at all!

PS: The equivalence with a politicians son is a false one. Sachin got his Ferrari as a gift for sporting excellence. It wasn't that he desired one. In fact he sold it a few years later. Also you are assuming that at the time of getting the keys from Schumacher, he would be aware of the ramifications. That is something he *may* have realized later. Hindsight is always 20/20.

3 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

No, the man applied for an exemption through the proper channels. perfectly legal and happen all the time. anyone can apply for an exemption to import duty tax. I have applied for it too in the past. 

If you don't mind me asking, for what have you applied for an exemption of import duty for? And in which year?

Edited by Mariyam