Medeival India superhuman strength

MechEng

12 minutes ago, Alam_dar said:

Are you taller and fatter than your father/grandfather? 

I also believe that current generation is weaker than its previous generation. 

i am little taller but slimmer than my father .. my grandfather was doing part time agriculture even in his 50s

few of my distant relatives who still do agri are far taller than me  ( and definitely far stronger )

10 hours ago, Alam_dar said:

Are we reading the same article?

While according to this article the bones of  Middle ages women were of bigger size than even the elite athletes today. 

This article is wrong. I have read the actual paper this article is refrencing and while medeival people had stronger bone structure than sedentary people today, elite athletes today are comprehensively stronger. Its the neolithic people that were comprehensively stronger than the people today. The actual research paper also mentions that its talking pound-for-pound and not actual total strength/health, since people today are a lot taller and taller people have a decisive lever advantage to their musco-skeletal structure.

I can cite the actual paper if you wish. 

On 12/17/2018 at 9:25 AM, MechEng said:

Rice is not bad actually, no food is bad in fact. People in pre industrial revolution era consumed high calorie and carb foods all over the world and balanced it out with a physically active lifestyle before technology existed. It's just that most of us are in desk jobs, so we have to watch what we eat.

You are absolutely right...i still remember one of the farmers in my mother's village...when i saw him he was 70+,he wears a plain dhothi(kaili we call in kerala),shirtless...Man his six pack and cuts...never saw such a body,i mean the guy never went to gym,eat plenty of rice,rice alone...the fittest probably i ever saw,that too at that age.He acheived it just by being a farmer...

Here i am trying paleo,keto what not...still struggling to lose weight...and maintain...

Edited by riya

On 12/17/2018 at 6:30 PM, Singh bling said:

Not rice but carbs , if you look at diet of sportsmen like Bumrah , they even omitted Roti from their daily diet .Chicken , fish , paneer eggs with few legumes they eat mostly.

Carbs are not bad at all especially for a professional athlete. Carbs are what gives energy for athletes to perform.

Footballers eat a lot of pasta. It all depends on how strenuous your activity is, a footballer will need more carbs than a fast bowler, a boxer will need more carbs than a footballer.

This is what Bumrah said:

Unfortunately, no roti, sweetmeat or fried food. But includes plenty of grilled chicken, tandoori chicken, fish and paneer. I eat a bit of carbs, in the form of mashed potatoes and rice because I need the sustained energy for future matches. This diet has helped my game. Cheat days are very few and far in between so I value them immensely. When given the green signal, I would binge on burgers, Indian sweets and biryani.”

So he does actually eat carbs.

8 minutes ago, Ranvir said:

Carbs are not bad at all especially for a professional athlete. Carbs are what gives energy for athletes to perform.

Footballers eat a lot of pasta. It all depends on how strenuous your activity is, a footballer will need more carbs than a fast bowler, a boxer will need more carbs than a footballer.

Unfortunately, no roti, sweetmeat or fried food. But includes plenty of grilled chicken, tandoori chicken, fish and paneer. I eat a bit of carbs, in the form of mashed potatoes and rice because I need the sustained energy for future matches. This diet has helped my game. Cheat days are very few and far in between so I value them immensely. When given the green signal, I would binge on burgers, Indian sweets and biryani.”

I remember seeing Sampras's final interview ( he retired as a grand slam champion - immediately after his last US Open victory) and the reporters were asking him about one thing he won't miss about being a pro tennis player. He immediately said ' pasta. Pasta for lunch, pasta for dinner. I've eaten enough pasta in my playing career for ten lifetimes'.

26 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

I remember seeing Sampras's final interview ( he retired as a grand slam champion - immediately after his last US Open victory) and the reporters were asking him about one thing he won't miss about being a pro tennis player. He immediately said ' pasta. Pasta for lunch, pasta for dinner. I've eaten enough pasta in my playing career for ten lifetimes'.

Exactly. Athletes need a huge amount of carbs. There is no difference between roti made with wholemeal flour and brown pasta.

I have no idea why Bumrah's nutritionist has made him drop roti but has included potatoes which are not as good an energy source as brown flour.

1 hour ago, Ranvir said:

Inuits have been eating almost keto diet, with almost no carbs, for centuries. 

Their main source of energy is fat, which replaces carb. 

2 hours ago, riya said:

You are absolutely right...i still remember one of the farmers in my mother's village...when i saw him he was 70+,he wears a plain dhothi(kaili we call in kerala),shirtless...Man his six pack and cuts...never saw such a body,i mean the guy never went to gym,eat plenty of rice,rice alone...the fittest probably i ever saw,that too at that age.He acheived it just by being a farmer...

Here i am trying paleo,keto what not...still struggling to lose weight...and maintain...

That is because of modern lifestyle.

If you're stressed always then that could be the cause too, stress release cortisol which makes you fat by messing up metabolism. Eat what you want but live an active lifestyle too, also moderation is the key even when it comes to doing other stuff and you'll never go fat.

13 hours ago, Alam_dar said:

Inuits have been eating almost keto diet, with almost no carbs, for centuries. 

Their main source of energy is fat, which replaces carb. 

and because our species is omnivorous with more fruit & nuts in the diet than meat tilt ( this is biological fact), these same traditional diets have far lesser life-expectancy than people with access to a more balanced omnivorous diet. This is a fact, too. Lapps for eg have much much higher life expectancy than Inuits despite also being polar ice people. Reason: some access to grains and vegetables from the southern Scandinavian climes for atleast 3,000 odd years, if not longer. 

8 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

and because our species is omnivorous with more fruit & nuts in the diet than meat tilt ( this is biological fact), these same traditional diets have far lesser life-expectancy than people with access to a more balanced omnivorous diet. This is a fact, too. Lapps for eg have much much higher life expectancy than Inuits despite also being polar ice people. Reason: some access to grains and vegetables from the southern Scandinavian climes for atleast 3,000 odd years, if not longer. 

There is a misconception about the life expectancy of inuit when they consumed their traditional diet (i.e. free of grains, high in fats). 

Go and read the first study of those Inuits who were free from the Western food, and they lived up to 100 years without any cancer or other diseases. Mortality came mostly from accidents, warfare and infectious disease rather than chronic disease. 

This first study was done by the Russians between 1822 to 1836 and it truly reflects the Inuits life expectancy before they came in contact with the western food, mainly the grains (carbohydrates). 

The combination of high protein (meat) diet with high carbohydrates (grains) is worse. They should not be eaten at same time while it causes digestive problems. Since that time, inuits have lot of health problems, while they also lack the neutral group of green Salads and wild herbs, which are also very essential for health (food combing chart). 

As far as Lapps are concerned, then there was hardly any carbs in their traditional diet. There were no farming there (farming started only in 1950s). I don't know about any trade of grains with southern parts in earlier centuries, but I read only this in one study that even during 1950s bread was so costly that most of the Lapps often replaced it with fatty fish diet. We could safely consume that traditional Lapps diet was almost grains free and consisted of heavy protein and heavy animals fat, and animal blood. 

And it is also said about Maasai that their diet was also low on carbs, but very heavy on raw milk, raw meat and blood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maasai_people#Diet

Diet[edit source]

Traditionally, the Maasai diet consisted of raw meat, raw milk, and raw blood from cattle.  In the summer of 1935 Dr. Weston A. Price visited the Maasai and reported that according to Dr. Anderson from the local government hospital in Kenya most tribes were disease-free. Many had not a single tooth attacked by dental caries nor a single malformed dental arch. In particular the Maasai had a very low 0.4% of bone caries. He attributed that to their diet consisting of (in order of volume) raw milk, raw blood, raw meat and some vegetables and fruits, although in many villages they do not eat any fruit or vegetables at all. He noted that when available every growing child and every pregnant or lactating woman would receive a daily ration of raw blood. 

8 hours ago, Rasgulla said:

For once I actually agree with him. 

How can you believe that nonsense in first place ??? 250 KG... If you have lifted weights you know 551 lbs is madness. 

Remember, this was 800 years ago, a very very different time, there were no desk jockeys or machines, all work needed blood and sweat, so even though lifting 1000 pounds was not common but it got you in the army.

Also remember, all soldiers in those days had to put on the heavy armour for fighting, so imagine the strength you need to engage in an agile and smooth sword combat will all that heavy armour and heavy swords.

Please don't compare those juiced up folks in gym who do weights in air conditioned environment and mirrors with these warriors who fought invasions in harsh weather with all the heavy armour. It's a disrespect to them.

I don't care what science has to say, I'm a research student and I'm aware of what I'm talking. All research work is based on limited parameters and requires certain degree of hypothesis. Absolute answers are not possible.

I would more likely to believe in the words of local guide from Golconda than a pseudo scientist/historian who has never visited Golconda fort.

Edited by MechEng