Food thread !!!

velu

On 3/17/2020 at 10:36 AM, coffee_rules said:

We call it ShankarPoLi .There is both namkeen and sweet variety (made from jaggery)

Khara-shankarapoli-1024x683.jpg 

Only time I would ever eat that is if I am starving and nothing else is available as “stuff” “chakna” . Not a Fan.

@velu @coffee_rules @Gollum

Is this Adyar Anand Bhavan place supposed to be really good?  I see there's a location in NJ not too far from me - closed right now anyway.  

I know Saravana Bhavan is this super hyped southie franchise chain - the NJ one is just OK OK.  The NYC one is a bit better, but again, didn't live up to the hype.

Here's a link to their menu - LMK what's good here and I'll check it out once they open - hopefully soon for delivery at least.  

https://www.a2bnewjersey.com/menus

5 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Is this Adyar Anand Bhavan place supposed to be really good?  I see there's a location in NJ not too far from me - closed right now anyway.  

I know Saravana Bhavan is this super hyped southie franchise chain - the NJ one is just OK OK.  The NYC one is a bit better, but again, didn't live up to the hype.

Here's a link to their menu - LMK what's good here and I'll check it out once they open - hopefully soon for delivery at least.  

The best food you get in Chennai is “Andhra” mess and no I am not being a supermacist here :giggle:. You won’t get a table on a weekday or weekend lunch time. Andhra mess FTW.

Saravana Bhavan minus their famous sambaar and filter cauphy is no better than some of the Udupi restaurants in Mumbai.

Edited by maniac

3 minutes ago, sandeep said:

I’d rate Saravana in Edison better than this A2B, taste was ok, saala very pricey , not even upscale. Some appetizer items are good that’s it, try kothu or chilli paratha, keerti badai , paneer 65 or vathal KUZHAMBU

12 minutes ago, maniac said:

Saravana Bhavan minus their famous sambaar and filter cauphy is no better than some of the Udupi restaurants in Mumbai.

My personal favorite in Bombay is Ram Ashraya, in Matunga.  The absolute best idli sambhar anywhere. Its walkable from my in-law's home in Dadar.  One of the highlights for any trip to India for me.  

6 minutes ago, sandeep said:

My personal favorite in Bombay is Ram Ashraya, in Matunga.  The absolute best idli sambhar anywhere. Its walkable from my in-law's home in Dadar.  One of the highlights for any trip to India for me.  

I used to love Swati in Nariman point. I think it has become an upscale hangout now from google images but back in the 90s when it was a regular Udupi restaurant, that was our Go to  family anniversary place.

Speaking of Dadar, is Srikrishna Batatavada still open? Oh man best one of the best chaats I ever had especially batatavada for self explanatory reasons.

29 minutes ago, sandeep said:

A2B food is sort of plain vegetarian home food that we can take it everyday .. 

but A2B filter coffee/tea is really good , but I think they may not be able to replicate the same consistency everywhere

Saravana Bhavan is super expensive even in India .. 

31 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Honestly all these franchises are overrated, Saravana Bhavan declined alarmingly after their owner was involved in that murder case, I think ownership/control changed hands. In India there are many little known gems, I had my best dosa in a tiny Cuttack shop run by Tamil migrants :laugh:. But in US you may have limited options, in that case give it a try. Even the worst Tamil restaurants know how to make proper sambhar.

Strictly based on my Bengaluru/Chennai experience...from that menu try:

Sambar Vadai

Aloo Bonda

Kuzhi Paniyaram

65 (Mushroom, Paneer whatever)

Idiyappam

Parotta Kurma

Any of the Dosa varieties but I prefer Ghee/Paper Roast

Mini Tiffin

South Indian Thali

Chole  Bhature....I only try this because it isn't available elsewhere in my area

Kothu Parotta

Chilli Parotta

I avoid North Indian, Chinese, Chaats, Desserts here...in fact never tried

Filter Coffee is standard stuff.

For sweets try some Bengali shop !!!!

@maniac

Do you mean Swati Snacks? Or is there a separate Swati?

The original Swati Snacks is at Tardeo. I used to frequent this place as a kid. Swati Snacks essentially caters to Gujarati clientele who want to try South Indian food. Over the years, they've added a lot of Gujju dishes to the mix too.

I'm surprised you liked the place.

The place @sandeep mentioned, Ram Ashray aka the khuna par hotel has a good mix of Tamil and Gujarati crowd. They are hence supposed to be more 'authentic' in their taste.

I prefer Cafe Madras & Rama Nayak, both at King's Circle.

48 minutes ago, maniac said:

The best food you get in Chennai is “Andhra” mess and no I am not being a supermacist here :giggle:.

Andhra mess in Hyderabad is good for meals, not so for tiffin. Never been to one in Chennai. 

Edited by Gollum