Team for World Cup 2019

test fan

2 minutes ago, bowl_out said:

The reason to include Pant is that Pandya's fitness is in question.. there is no lower order power hitters if Pandya doesn't get fit or gets injured during the WC..

Whether Pant or DK is the best person for that role is anyone's guess.

Neither of them are our solutions. INdia doesn't have finishers at all. Another thing is let us say no.6 and no.7 are batting at 45th over. You think they will be confident of taking risks? Because our batting stops at 7. 

Indian tailenders play a role in India playing conservatively right through. 

Bumrah - gun bowler, poor fielder, poor batsman

Chahal - okay bowler, poor fielder, poor batsman

Kuldeep - gun bowler, average fielder, below average batsman

Shami - good bowler, average fielder, below average batsman

These 4 MUST click with ball otherwise they are utterly useless.

Add others

Jadhav - average batsman, below average bowler, poor fielder

Edited by vvvslaxman

Inspiring squad based on current form and from those who were tried recently 

• Pandya / Pant (to try to get a 80 ball 100 vs a 100 ball 80 on batting friendly surfaces) 
  • Dhawan
  • Kohli 
  • KL / Jadhav 
  • Shankar / Jadhav
  • Pant (also reserve WK) / Pandya
  • Dhoni
  • Kuldeep 
  • Shami
  • Chahal / Bhuvi 
  • Bumrah 

For 11, key consideration is for 2 spots among KL, Shankar and Jadhav, and 1 spot b/w Chahal and Bhuvi 

• 14 -> Rohit / .... 
  • 15 -> A bowler / AR -> Saini / Rajpoot / Krunal / .... 

Edited by zen
40 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Neither of them are our solutions. INdia doesn't have finishers at all. Another thing is let us say no.6 and no.7 are batting at 45th over. You think they will be confident of taking risks? Because our batting stops at 7. 

That makes the case for Jadeja at 8..  He is a utility player who can swing the bat for 20 runs if required.. No way is he capable of batting higher than 8.. The team should resist playing him at 7..

Keep Kuldeep constant and rotate Chahal / Jadeja based on the team's need..

We are going with one fast bowler less.. Take the additional spin option in Jadeja to the WC..

6 minutes ago, zen said:

Inspiring squad based on current form and from those who were tried recently 

• Pandya / Pant (to try to get a 80 ball 100 vs a 100 ball 80 on batting friendly surfaces) 
  • Dhawan
  • Kohli 
  • KL / Jadhav 
  • Shankar / Jadhav
  • Pant (also reserve WK) / Pandya
  • Dhoni
  • Kuldeep 
  • Shami
  • Chahal / Bhuvi 
  • Bumrah 

For 11, key consideration is for 2 spots among KL, Shankar and Jadhav, and 1 spot b/w Chahal and Bhuvi 

• 14 -> Rohit / .... 
  • 15 -> A bowler / AR -> Saini / Rajpoot / Krunal / .... 

No Rohit in the starting XI? You sure live in your own dream world

2 minutes ago, bowl_out said:

No Rohit in the starting XI? You sure live in your own dream world

It is "inspiring 11" not what TM could start out with .... they may even include Rayudu :dontknow:

Edited by zen
1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

Indian tailenders play a role in India playing conservatively right through. 

Bumrah - gun bowler, poor fielder, poor batsman

Chahal - okay bowler, poor fielder, poor batsman

Kuldeep - gun bowler, average fielder, below average batsman

Shami - good bowler, average fielder, below average batsman

These 4 MUST click with ball otherwise they are utterly useless.

Add others

Jadhav - average batsman, below average bowler, poor fielder

That is problem with India team, they just don't have any balance. Unless you are Bumrah or Mcgrath you need to have secondary skill too.

Our batsmen also are so one dimensonal. Sachin, Sehwag and even Ganguly could bowl.

37 minutes ago, putrevus said:

That is problem with India team, they just don't have any balance. Unless you are Bumrah or Mcgrath you need to have secondary skill too.

Our batsmen also are so one dimensonal. Sachin, Sehwag and even Ganguly could bowl.

With two new balls and field restriction rules and more poweplays, it isn't easy for a part timer.

Rohit Sharma is just as good a part time option as Sehwag was. But he doesn't fit the scheme of things as a bowler because the game have evolved to become more batsman friendly

14 minutes ago, bowl_out said:

With two new balls and field restriction rules and more poweplays, it isn't easy for a part timer.

Rohit Sharma is just as good a part time option as Sehwag was. But he doesn't fit the scheme of things as a bowler because the game have evolved to become more batsman friendly

Two new balls has put more importance on wicket taking, Sehwag the offspinner is far better than Rohit. It is not even close.Sachin could do everything with ball , if Jadhav is able to succeed , Sehwag and Sachin would easily do well.

I think the problem is with bottom 4 . They just cannot bat and buy at least 20-30 runs or stay in other end .It amazes me how we can have Courtney Walsh type batsman in today's setup. The pitches have eased so much , don't have express bowlers so batting for tailenders should be relatively easy. But our tailender are the purest tailender you can find . Even if we get Gill we have problems.

We need to preserve wickets till 40 overs .  And hope one among 5,6,7 have a field day. If we get roads everywhere it's better to go with jadeja as bowler 8. If chahal plays we need either bhuvi or jadeja as 8.

20 minutes ago, prasen82 said:

I think the problem is with bottom 4 . They just cannot bat and buy at least 20-30 runs or stay in other end .It amazes me how we can have Courtney Walsh type batsman in today's setup. The pitches have eased so much , don't have express bowlers so batting for tailenders should be relatively easy. But our tailender are the purest tailender you can find . Even if we get Gill we have problems.

We need to preserve wickets till 40 overs .  And hope one among 5,6,7 have a field day. If we get roads everywhere it's better to go with jadeja as bowler 8. If chahal plays we need either bhuvi or jadeja as 8.

I remember Kumble and Srinath added 52  runs for the 9th  wicket against Austrlaia and won a match for us. It was against mcgrath, gillespie, fleming.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8552/scorecard/66061/india-vs-australia-3rd-match-titan-cup-1996-97

2 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

I remember Kumble and Srinath added 52  runs for the 9th  wicket against Austrlaia and won a match for us. It was against mcgrath, gillespie, fleming.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8552/scorecard/66061/india-vs-australia-3rd-match-titan-cup-1996-97

In Bangalore. Can never forget the straight six of srinath. I think this is the worst tail we have had in a long long time .  It's equivalent of venky prasad, kuruvilla, venkatapathy raju and harvinder Singh.

Kumble, srinath,rajesh chauhan all could bat.I just feel we should not select bowlers if they can't hold a bat unless their bowling average is below 25 .

14 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

i dnt see what has DK done to earn a spot in ODI as well , if only he has shown the ability to play cameos while chasing a small amount of runs left . DK has blown away so many chances to take team out of trouble in recent times as well.  Pant has started to have an aura around him that he can take a match away.......sometimes a mental pressure like this on opp is important. 

Even pant showed that day he can play a cameo and who knws he can do more, but DK for sure cant do more then a cameo

Both DK and Pant are only being considered for backup keeper role, so it is their keeping that should decide who is in the squad, they might hardly get an actual game.

12 hours ago, bowl_out said:

Sehwag was much more than a part timer, he was India's top wicket taker on SL 2010 tour IIRC & had a beautiful action. Also defended small amount of runs in CT 2002 against SA.

Edited by R!TTER
On 1/23/2019 at 12:54 AM, bendit100 said:

I haven't seen Vijay Shanker bat or bowl...but I have been flirting with this team

1 Rohit

2 Dhawan

3 Virat

4 Shubman Gill

5 Dhoni

6 Jadhav

7 Pandya

8 Vijay Shanker

9 Chahal

10 Bhuvi/Shami

11 Bumrah

Gives us great batting depth till no 8.

In bowling we get 3 full time bowlers, 1 almost a full time bowler in Pandya and 2 part time bowlers.

So the 20 overs in the middle will be shared like Pandya 8, Jadhav 6 and Vijay Shanker 6.  This is only possible if the 3 part time bowlers keep it really tight. No loose or hit me deliveries. This combo is worth a try. 

I would have extra batting depth for atleast the knockout  games where our top 3 has a higher chance of failure and it will be upto Dhoni and middle order to stage a recovery with the balance 5 bats. 

As predicted by me in the knockout games...we need extra batting depth and proper batsmen who can play swinging conditions.