What is your favorite Indian mithai?

Gollum

10 minutes ago, Gollum said:

It is 'puran poli' in Gujrati, 'holige' in Karnataka.....hated that in college but boy was I wrong !!!!

If you are in Bengaluru stop by a shop named 'Holige Mane' in Malleshwaram 6th cross. Maa kasam you won't regret the travel time, best in the world. Try out the dry fruit, khova, badam, anjur (anjir...fig) and coconut versions. Have it in the shop itself, you will get generous dollops of desi ghee on top. That whole area is a foodie's delight ...legendary CTR (Benne Masala Dosa :wp120:), Janatha, Veena Stores and New Krishna Bhavan are within 5-10 minutes walking distance in case you are nearby. Many more eateries if you wanna explore. 

malleshwaram is too far for me ..

i take boli or "poli" in a2b .. they make it really good

i dont like coconut poli though ..

anyway nothing beats mysore pak :finger: 

16 minutes ago, velu said:

malleshwaram is too far for me ..

i take boli or "poli" in a2b .. they make it really good

i dont like coconut poli though ..

anyway nothing beats mysore pak :finger: 

Trust me you won't regret my suggestion, A2B poli has no standing before the real masters. 

Mysore Pak is damn bad, just a sugar lump with weird smell :eviltongue:

3 hours ago, Under_Score said:

Kaju Barfi 

33k6fy0.jpg

i dont like our sweets to be covered with this metal foil , ( i tamil they call it silver varkth or something ) ..

when we order in bulk , sometimes they ask us whether we need to  cover it with this silver layer

23 minutes ago, Gollum said:

@velu @coffee_rules see most neutrals share my opinion :phehe:

most people might not even seen or heard about it :dontknow:

when we make mysore pak at home , we usually ask our pandaram ( temple priest + cook ) to come to our home and prepare it for us , its not easy to prepare it ..

anyway sri krishna , a2b mysore pak far better than home made ones 

13 minutes ago, Gollum said:

@velu @coffee_rules see most neutrals share my opinion :phehe:

First it is not two words - Mysore Pak . A lot of are turned down by the word Pak. It is Mysore-pak or Mysore-paka. Paka is kaanada means recipe/act of condensing sugar/milk. You should get it from places that are renowned and don't buy anywhere on the street. 

8 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

First it is not two words - Mysore Pak . A lot of are turned down by the word Pak. It is Mysore-pak or Mysore-paka. Paka is kaanada means recipe/act of condensing sugar/milk. You should get it from places that are renowned and don't buy anywhere on the street. 

I thought 'Pak' means sugar syrup. My mom has made this sweet in the past, have had in friends/relatives houses, wedding functions etc. Also tried in A2B and Krishna Sweets, that ghee aroma is overwhelming. Or maybe after having authentic Bengali sweets for so long, other varieties don't impress me that much. 

Edited by Gollum

2 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I thought 'Pak' means sugar syrup. My mom has made this sweet in the past, have had in friends/relatives houses, wedding functions etc. Also tried in A2B and Krishna Sweets, that ghee aroma is overpowering. Or maybe after having authentic Bengali sweets for so long, other varieties don't impress me that much. 

PaakaShastra - the word is derived from this word. Paaka - method of mixing sugar in boiling water/milk/ghee for hours before it becomes perfect in taste. I absolutely hate milk based sweets famous among the Bhadralok.

8 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

PaakaShastra - the word is derived from this word. Paaka - method of mixing sugar in boiling water/milk/ghee for hours before it becomes perfect in taste. I absolutely hate milk based sweets famous among the Bhadralok.

:whack::whack2::whack3: This conversation is over.