Speed & Performance of Indian and Foreign Speed Merchants in IPL 2019

vishalvirsingh

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

1.   Chawla bowls 80 kph to 100 kph normally.  A sudden seam up delivery at 120 kph from a spinner is a huge change up and the batsman is surprised. 

A seamer like Khaleel, bowling 130 k to 140 k usually and then bowling a 141 k or 142 k ball is not a huge change up.  Anyone facing Khaleel would definite set his reaction time to an occasional 142 k ball.

2.  Khaleel surprises batsmen more with bounce than with pace.  His hit the deck short balls and bouncers often bounce more steeply than expected and get batsmen out.  This is the precise reason why many of us on ICF wanted and want him to hit the deck hard and not bowl floaty deliveries, like he was doing in international cricket.

3.  Steyn sometimes bowls in the 130s when he is trying to swing the new ball.  When there is no swing available, we rarely see him bowl in the early 130s, just as a setup to bowl a quicker early 140s ball.

4.  A pacer bowling a couple of 140 k balls and then suddenly sending down a 148 k ball ... is a good enough change up.  

5.  Most important point ... a batsman trying to hit every ball in a T20 maybe hurried by a changeup from 134 k to 142 k   ( From a bowler who is anyway expected to bowl 130 k to 144 k range )  ........   but in tests and even the first 40 overs of ODI,   if the batsman is prepared to defend too, then this may not work.    A change up from 140 k to 148 k would be more effective.

But it has proved effective for him.  He has taken several wickets on such fast deliveries.  

We are talking about it in IPL which is T20.  Whether he can replicate that in other forms is yet to be seen.

1 hour ago, Pollack said:

Basil Thampi : Usually when you look around for some random footage of promising bowlers you come across some breathtaking bowling performance. Thampi is a legend in that sense.No matter where I see him bowl he is just thumped all around the park. That requires some skills.:hatsoff:

Thampi used to have such good yorker.  Dont know what happened to him.  He was quite good with yorkers in his first IPL.   and When you can bowl fast, why you resort to slow balls which are not effective for you.

1 hour ago, Rightarmfast said:

Sorry to just stop you there. CLEARLY, you dont know the difference between 140 and 147! If by any stretch of imagination you believe that the pace variation and reaction time is not that different for a 140 and 147kph, lesser said the better. 

Theres a big difference between 145-150 too! But going by your logic, it shouldnt be. 

i am not saying it is not different but 140-150 is considered quick bowling and when a bowler consistently bowling in that range, batsman gets used to the pace and is expecting quick deliveries.  So consistent 140 to 150 does not make as much a difference to a batsman as when a bowler is consistently around 130 and then increases it to 142-144 does. because a bowler who is bowling consistently 130, batsman does not expect him to suddenly bowl next ball 140 plus, like Khaleel who bowled 4-5 balls at 131-132 and then bowled one ball at 142, batsman was not expecting it.  He was not ready.  It is not the same for a bowler whose six balls are 142, 140, 145, 147, 150, 144.  Because it is consistent pace, but lacking deception for batsman.

3 hours ago, MultiB48 said:

They do this in baseball ,mix up 80+ mph balls with fast balls which are well into the 90mphs ,but in cricket bowling well over 90 mph is not easy and under 80 is too slow for seam up bowling  ,hence it's mostly in the 80s(low to high) and batsmen dont have to make a huge adjustment.

Chawla was able to change from 55-60 mph to 75 mph ,thats a huge change in pace ,akin to bowling cutters at 75 and follow it up with 90mph fast ball,even then i have seen batsmen pick up those quicker balls from chawla and smash them.remember dhoni doing it last season .

But it has evidently help Khaleel this IPL.  i have seen him getting several wickets with this method.

8 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

But it has proved effective for him.  He has taken several wickets on such fast deliveries.  

Most of those were bouncers which bounced more than expected. Extra bounce was the key there at good enough pace.

8 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

We are talking about it in IPL which is T20.  Whether he can replicate that in other forms is yet to be seen.

That is what I said.  It can work in T20s.  But never seen it work with any kind of consistency for any pacer in the longer formats.

3 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

i am not saying it is not different but 140-150 is considered quick bowling and when a bowler consistently bowling in that range, batsman gets used to the pace and is expecting quick deliveries.  So consistent 140 to 150 does not make as much a difference to a batsman as when a bowler is consistently around 130 and then increases it to 142-144 does. because a bowler who is bowling consistently 130, batsman does not expect him to suddenly bowl next ball 140 plus, like Khaleel who bowled 4-5 balls at 131-132 and then bowled one ball at 142, batsman was not expecting it.  He was not ready.

On the days Khaleel touches 143 k or 144 k ... he does not bowl 5 balls at 130 k.   He bowls lots of 137 k to 140 k balls too.

When Khaleel bowls 5 balls at 130 k ... his quickest balls rarely cross 138 k.

3 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

It is not the same for a bowler whose six balls are 142, 140, 145, 147, 150, 144.  Because it is consistent pace, but lacking deception for batsman.

That is not a like-for-like comparison.

You have to compare 3 balls at 140 k and the next at 150 k  ...  with 3 balls at 132 k and next ball at 142 k.

All other things remaining equal ... the quicker bowler will do better.

14 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Most of those were bouncers which bounced more than expected. Extra bounce was the key there at good enough pace.

That is what I said.  It can work in T20s.  But never seen it work with any kind of consistency for any pacer in the longer formats.

It can work in ODIs as well.  ODIs are more close to T20s than tests as batsmen usually go for their shots.  Also, i do not remember seeing any fast bowler use this method in recent times.  Wasim Akram used to employ in the past.

Edited by rkt.india

39 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

It can work in ODIs as well.  ODIs are more close to T20s than tests as batsmen usually go for their shots.  Also, i do not remember seeing any fast bowler use this method in recent times.  Wasim Akram used to employ in the past.

In ODIs  batters don't go for shots almost every ball.  2 or 3 dots are pretty common.

On 5/9/2019 at 3:45 AM, express bowling said:

You need lot of shoulder into the ball to extract in a slightly longer format. If any of these lefties want to be inspired by someone to become an out and out quick they better watch the Johnson 2013 series against England. That was one of the most breath taking, intimidating fast bowling in a test series of all time. 100% Macho stuff.

https://streamable.com/u5bip

1 hour ago, Suhaan said:

Did anyone notice Ishant Sharma bowled a delivery which read 151.3 to MS Dhoni in the last over of the match yesterday..maybe it was a glitch but Ishant has been seen bending his back in these 4 overs,not surprised at all 

Screenshot_2019-05-11-13-35-47-447_com.android.browser.png

Might not be a glitch. He bowled 148.5 against SRH and was consistently bowling in the 140`s in that match. Didn't watch his bowling yesterday. What pace did he bowl at? 

29 minutes ago, Mosher said:

Might not be a glitch. He bowled 148.5 against SRH and was consistently bowling in the 140`s in that match. Didn't watch his bowling yesterday. What pace did he bowl at? 

Lively pace,bowled 140+,iirc one at 143+

I just watched one over from DC coincidentally it was last over of the match bowled by Ishant,one thing i have noticed he hasn't lost pace just like Umesh but steps up the steam when its needed,i like his maturity

7 hours ago, Suhaan said:

Lively pace,bowled 140+,iirc one at 143+

I just watched one over from DC coincidentally it was last over of the match bowled by Ishant,one thing i have noticed he hasn't lost pace just like Umesh but steps up the steam when its needed,i like his maturity

Neither of them lost pace but ishant has become much more accurate at his original pace range. Umesh has lot ability to have any level of accurracy at high pace his 151.x was in that Dhoni over and went to boundary.

On 5/11/2019 at 3:04 AM, Suhaan said:

Did anyone notice Ishant Sharma bowled a delivery which read 151.3 to MS Dhoni in the last over of the match yesterday..maybe it was a glitch but Ishant has been seen bending his back in these 4 overs,not surprised at all 

Screenshot_2019-05-11-13-35-47-447_com.android.browser.png

Looks like university entrance exam results :cantstop: