We expect high-scoring games at World Cup, says Virat Kohli

19 minutes ago, Zero_Unit said:

Everyone seems to be going there early and playing some games to get used to the condition. Couldn't we have played a match or two vs Ire/Sco to get the players used to the condition? Would have helped somewhat. 

You gain absolutely nothing by playing in Ireland or Scotland. 

Two warm-up games are enough. 

26 minutes ago, Zero_Unit said:

a warm up game vs a real match has different priorities. if all the other teams are doing it, why can't team india?

The objective is to get some game time for the irregulars and acclimatization to the conditions. There's no point playing in the  damp weather of Ireland or Scotland against their not so good teams. I'd take a warm-up in England against New Zealand than some soft games in Ireland or  Scotland. 

However, Kohli also suggested that the batting line-up that has lifted England to No.1 in the world rankings is "obsessed" with becoming the first team to post 500 runs in a single ODI innings, and warned that they would struggle to play their full-throttle expansive game when the pressure ramps up at the sharp end of the tournament.

Kohli hinted that life would not be quite as simple for Morgan's big-hitters when there's a trophy at stake, as they discovered in 2017 when losing to Pakistan in a low-scoring Champions Trophy semi-final in Cardiff.

"They [England] seem to be obsessed with getting to 500 before anyone else," Kohli said. "They smash it from ball one and for the full 50 overs.

"It could be pretty high-scoring, but 260/270 is going to be as difficult to get as chasing 370, 380 in a World Cup."

"I don't see too much high-scoring in the later half of the tournament," Kohli added. "Some teams might get on a roll, but you'll see 250 defended as well as because of the kind of pressure that comes with it.

"When you get closer to the knockout phases, that is going to bring greater pressure and no-one is going to go gung-ho from ball one. Generally teams will find a way, but I see pressure playing a massive role."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/26806925/virat-kohli-hails-jofra-archer-x-factor

Virat is trying his darndest to sell this narrative of scoring big will be difficult in big games. He seems so out of tune with what Eng pitches have been lately as well as the what is the meaning of proactive dynamic batsmanship.

On 5/21/2019 at 5:51 PM, vvvslaxman said:

I do not think they will completely allow them to remove all the grass and give  a bone dry pitch

See, ECB has created bone dry pitches which allready there for past 3-4 years. Dont confuse it with test pitches.

My view is , Only difference between a pitch on which England plays vs on which rest play is, the ones where England plays wont have any turn for spinner, while others will play on pitches with some assistance to spin.

3 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

I take my words back and bow to Kohli's wisdom. He was right afterall, the scores are being defended. I hope he sticks to his words and doesnt bowl first in big matches 

But there is something fishy.  England gets to play on batting paradise. When Asian teams play they play on challenging pitches. Trent bridge ground is an example. 

5 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

But there is something fishy.  England gets to play on batting paradise. When Asian teams play they play on challenging pitches. Trent bridge ground is an example. 

i think its certain they will tap some home advantage even though its an ICC event

41 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

You didn't think they'd just hand the cup over? Did you?.

These are time tested strategies.

2 hours ago, Stan AF said:

You didn't think they'd just hand the cup over? Did you?.

These are time tested strategies.

It will come to bite them. Happened against Pakistan. Australia  and Windies could potentially give them their own medicine. India and Newzealand also have equal chances.

Cheating can only take you so far.

On 5/21/2019 at 9:00 PM, vvvslaxman said:

“A bilateral series compared to a World Cup is very different, so you might see lot of 260-270 kind of games and teams successfully defending it because of the pressure factor,” said the skipper of India – one of the favourites alongside England and Australia.

He was right . This isnt full statement...i saw that interview and he said as tournament progress 260-270 wud become really tough and he was spot on 

6 minutes ago, velu said:

MSD to kohli -  "did you say high scoring games ? .. hold my beer chotu" :giggle: 

Not sure what are  you making fun at but Kohli is spot on.

He said the same in today's press conference.

Initially ,we had high scoring games ,but towards business ends even low scoring is tough.

Edited by Stuge