Steve Smith reclaims No.1 Test ranking from Virat Kohli

Nikola

Smithie is just killing it! The RAT is stuck in trap with no cheese. There is daylight between him and the rest. Smith >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kohli. End of story.

He is easily becoming a modern day Bradman (when Bradman was asked what is average would be in modern day cricket i.e. post 1970, he had indicated it would be in the mid-60s).

27 minutes ago, kubrickian said:

I wonder how immature and dumb you have to be to put down one batsman(who is excellent and a match winner) to praise another. I swear all these people are insecure, jealous rats who scramble out of their sewers to put down someone just to feel better about themselves.

You're talking about Kohli, right? :rotfl:

12 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Just like a couple of t20 games when he was in terrific form that year after a stellar IPL. CT knock was good. Nothing special. He has choked miserably in important games in ODIs where he is no doubt in terms of ability Superior than Smith but mentally he has to improve.

Yes, he has failed in 2 knock out games but that can happen to anyone. It only takes 1 ball to get a batsman out. Its not choking. .He has scored a ton against Pakistan in 2015 WC which is the biggest pressure match for India or or the knocks in 2012, 2014 World T20 games or how he can handle chases easily to see that he handles pressure quite well. He averaged 51 in 2015 WC, and despite not scoring a ton in 2019 WC was still was one of the highest run scorer in the tournament. The argument he scores only in bilaterals again is stupid.

Edited by kubrickian
1 hour ago, bahubali said:

Yes but his batting in pressure situation and in important matches like WC knockouts is something which is missing in kohli batting even in loi.

Not comparing with Kohli here.

In absolute terms, Smith needs to improve his average and strike rate to be known as a great ODI player.

But his ability to score in important matches does make him an ODI batsman I would want in my team every time.

Edited by express bowling
10 hours ago, Nikola said:

I would take someone who avg 45 - 50 who will win me big matches than someone who scores meaningless runs in meaningless matches and averages 60 in odis. Not talking about smith here but i will prefer to take big match player over high average player.

I would too.

Kohli's legacy as a top ODI batsman has taken a beating after his twin failures in CT 17 final and WC 19 semi final.

I rate him as a much better test and T20I batsman as of today. 

24 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I would too.

Kohli's legacy as a top ODI batsman has taken a beating after his twin failures in CT 17 final and WC 19 semi final.

I rate his as a much better test and T20I batsman as of today. 

No doubt about his t20 batting he has proven himself twice in two worldcups but odi worldcup are far more bigger events or even ct 2017 for instance. Kohli will need to remove choker tag else his avg of even 60 won't matter much as it came on bilateral bashing. Even rohit averages around 60 as opener these days and he had great worldcup as well.

40 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I would too.

I rate his as a much better test and T20I batsman as of today. 

Right. In another 15 months time, Kohli will have as many 50+ scores  in ODIs as the number of ODIs Smith would have played.

An ODI average of 61 vs an avg of 41 - a staggering difference of 50%, A T20 average of 50 vs an avg of 21, difference of 100%+, shows the difference between the two in LOIs

Edited by ShoonyaSifar
2 hours ago, putrevus said:

He may have averaged higher but not 46 more. There is lot of difference 53 and 99.96.

Why not. Cricket was played by a bunch of ameutuers then. Say Kohli plays only against Sri Lanka and Bangladesh in his entire career. Cant he average 80-90? (currently he averages around 85 if you combine the two)

Edited by New guy

Smith's next 5 tests after the England series will be at home vs Padosis and then Kiwis. I don't see why he can't get his overall average to 65+ by the end of those series. He averages near 80 at home.

By the end of this series he will average over 60 in England.  :hatsoff:

Edit

I'm not sure why ODIs are brought up here, but  I will give my opinion on the "clutch" knocks that Smith played in ODIs: IMO, one needs to stop just looking at Smith's scores in WC quarter finals/finals and concluding he is "clutch". Re-watch the games if possible or at least look at the rest of the scoreboard: Smith has played maybe 1 clutch knock in a pressure situation in WCs, the SF vs us in 2015, otherwise it is a difficult sell to say either other knock was clutch, IMO.  

Edited by Tibarn
7 hours ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Right. In another 15 months time, Kohli will have as many 50+ scores  in ODIs as the number of ODIs Smith would have played.

An ODI average of 61 vs an avg of 41 - a staggering difference of 50%, A T20 average of 50 vs an avg of 21, difference of 100%+, shows the difference between the two in LOIs

In T20Is, there is no comparison at all. Kohli is much better than Smith. Performances in WT20 knockouts and high average at good SR. The complete package.

In ODIs, neither Smith nor Kohli are the complete packages atleast till now. Let's see what the future holds. 

8 hours ago, kubrickian said:

I'm not going to waste my time arguing with an idiot like you, if you think Kohli scores only in bilaterals. He has scored match winning knocks in World T20 games, World Cup games, Champions Trophy as well. 

Mind your language and go back to the rock from where you came to burn your ass here. Who is talking abt T20 here. He has failed in knockout all the 3 WC which he played even in test he failed most of the occasion while India was chasing. Go back and do kohli puja if you take it  so personal for someone else criticism.

24 minutes ago, bahubali said:

Mind your language and go back to the rock from where you came to burn your ass here. Who is talking abt T20 here. He has failed in knockout all the 3 WC which he played even in test he failed most of the occasion while India was chasing. Go back and do kohli puja if you take it  so personal for someone else criticism.

In 4th innings

Kohli 896 runs @50 with 2 100s and 6 50s in 25 innings

Smith 560 runs @31 with 4 50s in 20 innings

I’m sure in an alternative universe, averaging 31 is better than 50 avg.

7 hours ago, express bowling said:

In T20Is, there is no comparison at all. Kohli is much better than Smith. Performances in WT20 knockouts and high average at good SR. The complete package.

In ODIs, neither Smith nor Kohli are the complete packages atleast till now. Let's see what the future holds. 

Okay. If someone with 12000 runs, 43 100s and an avg of 60 isn’t a complete batsman, then all definitions of batting need to be rewritten

1 hour ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Okay. If someone with 12000 runs, 43 100s and an avg of 60 isn’t a complete batsman, then all definitions of batting need to be rewritten

Failing in almost all the knockout matches of big tournaments, especially in the last 6 years, does not count. ?

Big players are defined by performances in big matches and big series / tournaments.

Let's take the example of Kohli in different series in  test matches in recent times without comparing him to others.

---  He averaged 152 against SL at home in late 2017.

--  Averaged 48 against SA in SA in early 2018.

--  Averaged 59 against England in England in mid 2018.

The last 2 series I outlined above will go down as icononic performances in his career as he was the highest scorer from either side in tough batting conditions away from home. It confirmed his status as a great test match batsman.

While the much higher series average of 152 against SL, at home will carry much less weight and will be much easily forgotten. Just batting averages and centuries do not always tell the complete story.

Although overall stats are important and make a player good or bad ... but a player must perform in big matches / tournaments to be remembered as a great.

10 hours ago, kubrickian said:

Yes, he has failed in 2 knock out games but that can happen to anyone. It only takes 1 ball to get a batsman out. Its not choking. .He has scored a ton against Pakistan in 2015 WC which is the biggest pressure match for India or or the knocks in 2012, 2014 World T20 games or how he can handle chases easily to see that he handles pressure quite well. He averaged 51 in 2015 WC, and despite not scoring a ton in 2019 WC was still was one of the highest run scorer in the tournament. The argument he scores only in bilaterals again is stupid.

What are you talking about? There's barely 2 games he's performed in & I'd argue one of them was won on the back of bowlers!

View career summary [change view]
Trophy ICC Champions Trophy (ICC KnockOut) remove ICC Champions Trophy (ICC KnockOut) from query or World Cup remove World Cup from query
Match type tournament finals remove tournament finals from query or tournament semi-finals remove tournament semi-finals from query or tournament quarter-finals remove tournament quarter-finals from query
Ordered by default (ascending)
dblBakArwB.gifReturn to query menu
dblBakArwW.gifCleared query menu
Career averages
  Span Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100 Wkts BBI Bowl Av 5 Ct St Ave Diff  
unfiltered 2008-2019 239 11520 183 60.31 43 4 1/15 166.25 0 122 0 -105.93 Profile
filtered 2011-2019 10 275 96* 34.37 0 0 - - 0 5 0 -  

You're clearly misrepresenting facts here :facepalm:

View career summary [change view]
Trophy World Cup remove World Cup from query
Match type tournament finals remove tournament finals from query or tournament semi-finals remove tournament semi-finals from query or tournament quarter-finals remove tournament quarter-finals from query
Ordered by default (ascending)
dblBakArwB.gifReturn to query menu
dblBakArwW.gifCleared query menu
Career averages
  Span Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100 Wkts BBI Bowl Av 5 Ct St Ave Diff  
unfiltered 2008-2019 239 11520 183 60.31 43 4 1/15 166.25 0 122 0 -105.93 Profile
filtered 2011-2019 6 73 35 12.16 0 0 - - 0 4 0 -  
1 hour ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

In 4th innings

Kohli 896 runs @50 with 2 100s and 6 50s in 25 innings

Smith 560 runs @31 with 4 50s in 20 innings

I’m sure in an alternative universe, averaging 31 is better than 50 avg.

Please note  I am talking about chasing. Let me quote you few ex how he choked/flunked in 4rh inning chase.

Against sl we had to chase 165 he failed miserably

Against AUs he played absolute blinder while chasing 300+ score choked right at the moment while we still have Saha at the other end. That's where Smith or stokes like batsmen flurish.

Against sa in first and 2 Nd test we had to chas 200 odd he flunked

Against eng we had to chase 180 odd or around 200 and pandya was there at other end he flunked 4th day early morning against stokes and against 50 over old ball.