Indian-American economist Abhijit Banerjee among 3 awarded Nobel Prize in Economics for 'Approach to Alleviate Poverty'

Gollum

54 minutes ago, adi B said:

These novels are based on theoretical explanations or ideas but never have these theories been implemented successfully on ground especially in a complex economy like India.

I am not aware of his body of work. 

We can have 100 of Nobel laureates from India but it doesn't guarantee/mean our economic position will strengthen 

When we are in a position to produce 100 Nobel Laureates, made in India, that means our education system and R&D framework/infra will be elite level, that goes hand in hand with economic strength. 

Edited by Gollum

3 hours ago, Gollum said:

Apparently he proposed a figure 1/3rd or 1/2 of what Cong put in its manifesto. Ofc Congress made it political, and before general election hyperbole is expected especially for a desperate entity. They did something similar regarding farm loans waiver in the run-up to Rajasthan and MP assembly elections, now look at them backtracking and cutting down on pre-poll promises. 

cong mentioned Rs 72000 for the bottom 20%.

even half or one third of that was about 24k a year... Just for comparisons sake the Modi government is giving Rs6000 for farmers or 10% of the pop  (now expanded to all farmers) per year in a scheme costing Rs75,000 crore. If we take what this guy is proposing it would mean 75k crore * 4 to the bottom 10%.  What this man proposed would defacto result in heavy taxes for the middle classes. Otherwise India would go bust.

The irony is that with such radical policy views this guy is critical of demon. 

On 10/14/2019 at 4:18 PM, Muloghonto said:

And that’s the problem with basic income: making it 20 rupees means nothing, it’s like  meaningless tax cut that lets you buy an extra 3-4 cokes per week. To see any positive effect of min basic income, it has to be enough to pay your bills: this is what Finland does. You get money from government to pay for your rent, some basic food and that’s it. They also have tax funded public healthcare and education( even post secondary) , so you can say their government gives them enough money to eat, have a roof, get educated and medical bills. 

I am an no economist, so I would drag @Tibarn as a resident poster who can elucidate more. I’d hazard a guess that this is economically unworkable for large developing populations. For India to trial the concept of basic income it’d have to equal billions of dollars in education and healthcare, then at least 10,000 rupees a month or so. Which would require like 15% growth per annum of economy to sustain.

If the US implemented the plan that is proposed by one of their presidential candidates  it would add between 2-3 trillion USD to their budget. It would basically increase the burden on the government exchequer to absurd levels. Some conservatives and libertarians support universal basic income, if the government was to completely eliminate most/all of the other subsidies/programs the American government gives to people, but that would only work in an idealized world. I am not sure there has ever been a democratic country which went through that level of austerity without the implementing government losing the subsequent election. 

Finland tried this program as a pilot project with several thousand of its unemployed workers, but when they analyzed the results, they apparently predicted that if they implemented UBI on a country wide level, it would increase unemployment. :((

Here is what I was talking about, I remembered incorrectly, it wasn't unemployment which would increase, but the share of people below the poverty line, from 11.5 to 14.3 percent.

https://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/economics/basic-income-or-a-single-tapering-rule-incentives-inclusiveness-and-affordability-compared-for-the-case-of-finland_d8c0fbc4-en