The greatest film ever made

zen

55 minutes ago, Ranvir said:

Great logic you have. 'I have it in 4K so it is a great film'. I dont care if you have Scarface in 64K.

First let's address this. It is not my logic but interpretation and application of yours on my multiple comments. 

It is a comedy film. Just look at the ending, he gets shot several times and is still standing, just like one of those bad 80s action movies. I dont care how much cocaine someone takes, they will not be standing after taking 10 gunshots. Can you imagine such a silly scene in Goodfellas or The Godfather? 

It is pointless to respond to such statements. But to see those as another for your "gems"

55 minutes ago, Ranvir said:

There is a reason why dumb rappers and low rent drug dealers like Scarface, it's a big loud dumb film. If anyone over the age of 30 tells me Scarface is a great film I automatically think of that person as a person of limited intellect and usually a gangsta wannabe. I will say that Scarface is an entertaining film but saying that it deserves to be on a greatest films list is far more laughable than T2 being on the same list.

Neither T2 nor Scarface is the greatest film. Though it is better than T2 

The fact that you have the Matrix 2 and 3 in your '4K collection's shows a lot about your taste in movies. They're absolute garbage. Even more over stylised than the original.

Nice to see some more funny assumptions. Those films come together as a part of Matrix Trilogy 4K UHD set. I like them all to varying degrees but liking or owning them does not equate to rating them as greatest. I also own 4Ks of films such as Atomic Blonde, Assassins Creed, etc. 

You seem to have a hard time understanding basic concepts. Pesci was playing a character who was an over the top lunatic in real life. Liotta was playing a person who was more subdued. Do you expect Liotta to play Henry Hill as if he was Tommy? Use your brain. Should Anupam Kher in the accidental prime minister have played Manmohan Singh as some loud charismatic character and ignore the fact that Manmohan Singh is a quiet subdued character?

Liotta was wooden "relatively" .... no matter how you put it  

As for being dated, I was implying that The Matrix was over stylised and some of it looks cheesy today. No one speaks like Morpheus or Trinity, the flying kung fu is over done, the soundtrack relies too much on electronic music of the late 90s. The fashions, effects, soundtrack and style of acting of T2 feel fresher today than the Matrix.

Nope .... though both are good films in their respective ways. None of them can claim to be the greatest (and that too across genres)

Get over it! 

Edited by zen

11 minutes ago, zen said:

First let's address this. It is not my logic but application of yours on my multiple comments. My point is that I have the film so I can watch it. Since 4K is the latest transfer, it is easier to see how the film has aged 

It is pointless to respond to such statements. But to see it as another for your "gems"

Neither T2 nor Scarface is the greatest film. Though it is better than T2 

Those films come together as a part of Matrix Trilogy 4K UHD set. I like them all to varying degrees but liking or owning them does not equate to rating them as greatest. I also own 4Ks of films such as Atomic Blonde, Assassins Creed, etc.

Liotta was wooden "relatively" .... no matter how you put it  

Nope .... though both are good films in their respective ways. None of them can claim to be the greatest (and that too across genres) .... Now get over T2! 

You stop going on about Scarface being a great film. It's a joke film with a comical ending and stop going on about your 4K collection, no one cares what you own and in what format.

6 minutes ago, Ranvir said:

You stop going on about Scarface being a great film. It's a joke film with a comical ending

My point is that Scarface is a good to great film (depending on perspective) .... and it is not a bad film 

and stop going on about your 4K collection, no one cares what you own and in what format.

Someone watching a film on the latest transfer can offer a better perspective than someone who for e.g. downloaded some pirated crappy version and watched it on laptop/phone :dontknow:

26 minutes ago, zen said:

My point is that Scarface is a good to great film (depending on perspective) .... and it is not a bad film 

Someone watching a film on the latest transfer can offer a better perspective than someone who for e.g. downloaded some pirated crappy version and watched it on laptop/phone :dontknow:

Pirated versions of 30 and 40 year old films? What are you talking about. We're talking about Scarface and T2, not some new film like Joker.

Besides you can get 4K pirated films. Watching a film in 4K does not make an average film better.

Scarface is an entertaining movie, never a great movie.

1 hour ago, Ranvir said:

Pirated versions of 30 and 40 year old films? What are you talking about. We're talking about Scarface and T2, not some new film like Joker.

Besides you can get 4K pirated films. Watching a film in 4K does not make an average film better.

Scarface is an entertaining movie, never a great movie.

Even if it is DVD quality, it will not produce optimal results esp. on a 4k display. Also 4K has HDR/Dolby Vision component attached to it. Rarely is a transfer, whose disc has been released, only in 4K. The screen to watch pirated stuff (which I do not advocate)  should also be able to support HDR/DV  (and also process it optimally or it will look worse than regular HD/Blu-ray)

It is also possible that those who mainly watch pirated films may not have made an effort to optimize their set up in the first place. 

Even 4K streams are not equal. iTunes is generally considered as the best (relatively close) alternative to a disc!

Note that here we are discussing good to great films. 

Edited by zen

More on 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

Bond (007) films series is my favorite.  They are cutting edge (esp. at the time of the release) and age relatively well. You Only Live Twice was released in 1967. It has the most famous Bond villain lair (Ken Adam's set!) as well. If you watch 2001: A Space Odyssey and YOLT, it could be difficult to believe that they were released only a year apart. 2001 is technically quite ahead (and that is telling something as Bond films in the 60s are cutting edge and marque films which were among top grossers in the year of their release in the 60s) ... Hats off to Kubrick!

YOLT

2001:

Edited by zen

On 2/19/2020 at 5:29 AM, Mariyam said:

Not the greatest, but right up there among the best:

Mulholland Drive.

The woman essaying the role of Rita/Camilla did an amazing job. One of the most under rated actresses world over.

Noooooo! Me and my wife still complain about the 3 hours of our life we wasted on that movie.

On 2/18/2020 at 12:37 AM, zen said:

More on 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

Bond (007) films series is my favorite.  They are cutting edge (esp. at the time of the release) and age relatively well. You Only Live Twice was released in 1967. It has the most famous Bond villain lair (Ken Adam's set!) as well. If you watch 2001: A Space Odyssey and YOLT, it could be difficult to believe that they were released only a year apart. 2001 is technically quite ahead (and that is telling something as Bond films in the 60s are cutting edge and marque films which were among top grossers in the year of their release in the 60s) ... Hats off to Kubrick!

YOLT

2001:

Yes they aged well compared to nasa's videos :winky: