Favorite Indian Test Batsmen

zen

7 hours ago, zen said:

Yes buddy, the whole cricket world revolves around Pujara! If Pujara does well, Ind wins and vice versa. Even though, Ind has only won a handful of matches in SENA in its history, Pujara’s arrival made folks like you believe that Ind could win everything in SENA! Good to know that :dance:

now got your  intention w.r.t all these discussions involving Pujara...so ..... each to their own  when the discussion is with you.

6 minutes ago, rtmohanlal said:

now got your  intention w.r.t all these discussions involving Pujara...so ..... each to their own  when the discussion is with you.

No. problem, but note that as #3, he is among the best in business vs. SENA "away"  :winky:

View overall figures [change view]
Opposition team Australia remove Australia from query or England remove England from query or New Zealand remove New Zealand from query or South Africa remove South Africa from query
Home or away away (home of opposition) remove away (home of opposition) from query
Start of match date greater than or equal to 1 Jan 2013 remove greater than or equal to 1 Jan 2013 from query
Batting position between 1 and 3 remove between 1 and 3 from query
Qualifications runs scored greater than or equal to 1000 remove runs scored greater than or equal to 1000 from query
Ordered by batting average (descending)
Page 1 of 1 Showing 1 - 7 of 7   First pageFirst Previous pagePrevious Next Next page Last Last page dblBakArwB.gifReturn to query menu
dblBakArwW.gifCleared query menu
Overall figures
Player Span Mat Inns NO Runs HS AveDescending BF SR 100 50 0 4s 6s  
CJL Rogers (AUS) 2013-2015 13 24 1 1028 173 44.69 2025 50.76 3 5 1 147 1 investigate this query
CA Pujara (INDIA) 2013-2020 24 45 1 1662 193 37.77 4133 40.21 5 6 4 196 3 investigate this query
DA Warner (AUS) 2013-2019 21 39 0 1445 145 37.05 1965 73.53 3 11 4 185 13 investigate this query
Azhar Ali (PAK) 2013-2019 18 35 2 1089 205* 33.00 2756 39.51 2 5 1 123 2 investigate this query
M Vijay (INDIA) 2013-2018 20 40 0 1257 146 31.42 3031 41.47 2 7 5 161 8 investigate this query
FDM Karunaratne (SL) 2013-2019 19 38 1 1087 152 29.37 2284 47.59 1 6 4 126 1 investigate this query
AN Cook (ENG) 2013-2018 19 36 1 1019 244* 29.11 2243 45.43 2 4 2 115 0
Edited by zen
9 hours ago, Gollum said:

No VVS :omg:

Rohit is half blood based outside, VVS is pure blood and son of the soil. 

Why do you keep saying half-blood I don’t Know if it was you I had the conversation with before but I think I closed the debate on the full-blood lineage before :)

Also VVS is from Telangana, Rohit lineage is from Vizag :no: but I also put Kohli there.

VVS would be next in the list probably 

To be honest though both are Andhra/Telangana Bhramins in fact VVS is the same sub caste or shakha of Brahmin where ae Rohit belongs to a rival sub caste

So yes this has nothing to do with regionalism,casteism etc. pure unadulterated cricket acumen 

Edited by maniac
38 minutes ago, maniac said:

Why do you keep saying half-blood I don’t Know if it was you I had the conversation with before but I think I closed the debate on the full-blood lineage before :)

Not with me. 

38 minutes ago, maniac said:

Also VVS is from Telangana, Rohit lineage is from Vizag :no: but I also put Kohli there.

VVS would be next in the list probably 

To be honest though both are Andhra/Telangana Bhramins in fact VVS is the same sub caste or shakha of Brahmin where ae Rohit belongs to a rival sub caste

So yes this has nothing to do with regionalism,casteism etc. pure unadulterated cricket acumen 

Mazak kar raha tha bhai, aap toh senti ho gaye ho !!!!

People who say they switched on their TV sets to Watch Dravid or Pujara test knocks are either insomniacs or are lying.

All Time
There are few bats whom you tune into watch even in tests like Sachin,Sehwag

Most times 

Kohli only in LOIs, watching the man chase in limited overs (bilaterals for now :(( ) is a piece of art in itself but in tests is different. He has good knocks like the one in Adelaide but I have not seen a smooth test 100 that made me sit on the edge of my seat like the other 2 names I mentioned above. Having said that I will still tune in to watch him bat as he is the best that we have right now.

Some times 
Then there is Laxman- he has a clutch knocks in some greatest tests ever played and he had some knocks that were just mesmerizing like his 160 in Sydney or there was stroke filled 40 odd in SA that robelinda has said was one of the most requested Laxman innings requests he got. In between there is a lot of mediocrity where he didn’t do justice to his talent.

Laxman is a bit like the test version of Dhoni, Dhoni has a couple of destructive knocks 2-3 clutch knocks which he has used to con people all his career but in between there is a lot of disgusting crap.

Limited overs

In odis obviously apart from Kohli

for reasons mentioned above , Yuvraj in his prime and Rohit are the 2 must see players.

Future 

Love watching Rahul bat in full flow.  Pant is super entertaining and then there is Shaw the kid is box office.

Just for laughs

I usually enjoy some tailender bats just for comedic entertainment  like Umesh Yadav, Sexting Shami etc . 

Special mention: Ashwin in LOIs when he tries ABDV stunts 

Edited by maniac
3 hours ago, maniac said:

People who say they switched on their TV sets to Watch Dravid or Pujara test knocks are either insomniacs or are lying.

That is an assumption on your part, probably an unidimensional look to test cricket. I enjoyed watching Pujara bat in Aus as well as if he had got out early, advantage would have shifted to Aus. That opens up another dimension of tension in the game. One of the hallmarks of test cricket is that there are various battles that can be enjoyed. 

On good batting surface, I would enjoy watching Sehwag and Kapil (one of the most elegant batsmen) .... Sehwag against spin was a treat in SL as well. While his effort in Pak on good batting tracks can be a bore relatively.

In a game like the one below, Gavaskar would be great to watch. The tension below would be about Gavaskar's wkt potentially turning the course of the game. How he handles the bowlers in such form becomes the challenge:

PS below IND bowled out chasing 120 to win:

Edited by zen
2 hours ago, zen said:

That is an assumption on your part, probably an unidimensional look to test cricket. I enjoyed watching Pujara bat in Aus as well as if he had got out early, advantage would have shifted to Aus. That opens up another dimension of tension in the game. One of the hallmarks of test cricket is that there are various battles that can be enjoyed. 

On good batting surface, I would enjoy watching Sehwag and Kapil (one of the most elegant batsmen) .... Sehwag against spin was a treat in SL as well. While his effort in Pak on good batting tracks can be a bore relatively.

In a game like the one below, Gavaskar would be great to watch. The tension below would be about Gavaskar's wkt potentially turning the course of the game. How he handles the bowlers in such form becomes the challenge:

PS below IND bowled out chasing 120 to win:

That is very scenario specific. I rate batsmen on  how engaged I will be to tune in every time they bat and not just limited to specific situations.

I have seen no.10s and no.11s save matches too and I watched those games and was entertained but I didn’t become a fan of their batting and start tuning into their batting style or ability 

6 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Among the less profile Indian batsmen I enjoyed watching Sadagopan Ramesh and Jaffer, both very elegant esp the former. Enjoyed whatever little I saw of Karun Nair, that 300 was beautiful, esp his acceleration after 140, a real pity we might never see him again at the highest level. 

wat did he do ? Randomly dissapeared 

5 minutes ago, Rasgulla said:

wat did he do ? Randomly dissapeared 

Nair? 

After that 300, failed in a couple of tests against Aus on tough pitches, then dropped, nowhere to be seen. Rahane had to come in, sucked for next 2 years but still TM persisted with him. Had Nair been from Mumbai (maybe even Delhi) doubt he would have been discarded so easily. 

Tendulkar.  Especially prime 90s version.  Greatness was there to see.  Every minute he was at the crease.

Loved watching VVS bat, almost as much as I liked watching Veeru tear apart bowlers.  There's one other who  I will not name.

Veeru - the greatest entertainer I have ever seen in test cricket.  His MCG 195, which I saw every ball of - remains, to this day, the most enjoyable test match innings I have watched.  

Dravid, I admired, but watching him wasn't as entertaining.  

There are more but limiting it to 3 (in the order of debut):

• Gavaskar. Initially was not a favorite. But then I saw the debacles of team Ind in SENA (bowled out for 100 and 66 in SA for e.g.) in the 90s to realize his importance. Probably only one from Ind who could confidently survive an AT11 attack of WI (Marshall-Ambrose-Garner-...), Aus (McGrath-Lillee-Warne-...), SA (Donald-Steyn-Procter-...), and NZ (Hadlee-Bond-...). 
  • Sehwag. Revolutionized the opening batting w/ his high SR innings.  Considered as a FTB, but has some great performances and/or 100s in SA, Eng, Aus, etc. Those Bradmanesque performances in Pak and SL are etched in fans' memories. One of the most impactful test openers ever.  
  • Pujara. I like attractive cricket but Pujara, who loves to defend more than attack, has climbed up the list due to his performances in Aus. I had heard about Gavaskar's legendary performance in WI but never seen something like this from an Ind batsman to win a series. His 100 in Eng earlier that year was special as well as he carried his bat through. With the tail, he played some of his most entertaining cricket. Considered as a FTB by many, but quite a few of his superb performances came when Ind had that aging batting line up. So once again was instrumental in helping Ind win at home too. 
Pujara instead of Dravid??

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk