Should the government end lockdown?

randomGuy

2 hours ago, Stan AF said:

We need a vaccine.

I don't get that. Vaccine is mainly prevention and it's not a cure. It works to create antibodies when the virus initially try to infect cells. Even dengue don't have a treatment. And there hasn't been any vaccine for flu or SARS, so is this all a false hope?

17 minutes ago, YCCC said:

This is what I don’t understand about the whole thing. Most studies suggest that a large number of cases (up to 90%) are asymptomatic so why is there a need to lock down? 

You are joking? Only reason why we don't have a 6 digit cases is due to lockdown. Our weak healthcare, and our uncooperative people have really failed us. Lockdown is the most inexpensive way to succeed.

11 minutes ago, YCCC said:

This is what I don’t understand about the whole thing. Most studies suggest that a large number of cases (up to 90%) are asymptomatic so why is there a need to lock down? 

10 %  cases is over 100 millions in Indian term. People can die of pneumonia even if 5 million get it in a space of 2-3 day simply due to lack of medical supplies. But if those 5 million cases can be eliminated and spread over a year, things will change. For examole plasma therapy relies on blood from ex Corona person.

Btw pneumonia is worse in cold weather. Modi took a great call for india was a bit cold when he started lockdown. Now they have test kits, ppe and so on. Buying time helps in a war when you are loosing side

4 minutes ago, someone said:

I don't get that. Vaccine is mainly prevention and it's not a cure. It works to create antibodies when the virus initially try to infect cells. Even dengue don't have a treatment. And there hasn't been any vaccine for flu or SARS, so is this all a false hope?

There is vaccine for Ebola. 

One for SARS was underway.

13 minutes ago, mishra said:

10 %  cases is over 100 millions in Indian term. People can die of pneumonia even if 5 million get it in a space of 2-3 day simply due to lack of medical supplies. But if those 5 million cases can be eliminated and spread over a year, things will change. For examole plasma therapy relies on blood from ex Corona person.

Btw pneumonia is worse in cold weather. Modi took a great call for india was a bit cold when he started lockdown. Now they have test kits, ppe and so on. Buying time helps in a war when you are loosing side

Good post!! Since it's hot now, Do we need a lockdown looking at hospitalization rate in other warm countries/regions?

17 minutes ago, someone said:

?

7 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

There is vaccine for Ebola. 

One for SARS was underway.

Corona virus replication is at alveolar surfaces and our immune system is somewhat poor around that region. That's a reason why the immune system doesn't kick in quickly, whenever the replication starts.

Thus, there are not much history about successful vaccines for this virus family.

7 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

Good post!! Since it's hot now, Do we need a lockdown looking at hospitalization rate in other warm countries/regions?

I am following what India is doing vis a vis UK. TBH, I am awed by sheer brilliance of Indian planners. They going to open district by district and sector by sector. Exit strategy is there and in motion.
 I know someone who is at among the top of statte Administration. He got arrested because he went out to buy “Paneer” and had no id at the time. Police wasnt ready to accept unless they got a call from higher management

Edited by mishra

37 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

Hard hitting critique of Fauci

Specially the last 1 minute

In case of India, mass testing is allready on. Government is taking the liberal leftist flak but quarntining people en mass and then reverse lookup based on each new case. Tableeghi screwed up but tbh, even they got caught because of reverse lookup. As the cases are asymptomatic, i can understand frustration of Muslim youths who are not educated enough to not to understand risk they pose to Muslim society.

District by district, cases is helping Authorities to understand and plan which part can be opened. And offcourse, now they are more prepared to deal with any local outbreak in event something like Tabhleeghis happen again. Hence despite, so many cases, India can start opening itself

All of what India is doing  sounds commonsenses. But in US, it’s election time. 

Edited by mishra

Just now, mishra said:

In case of India, mass testing is allready on. Government is taking the liberal leftist flak but quarntining people en mass and then reverse lookup based on each new case. Tableeghi screwed up but tbh, even they got caught because of reverse lookup. As the cases are asymptomatic, i can understand frustration of Muslim youths who are not educated enough to not to understand risk they pose to Muslim society.

District by district cases is helping Authorities to understand and plan which part can be opened. And offcourse, now they are more prepared to deal with any local outbreak in event something like Tabhleeghis happen again

How many tests per million population do you consider "mass" testing?  I agree with the other parts of your post. But we are not doing mass testing by any means. We may strategically be optimizing testing as best we can, but we are by no means doing mass testing. Not saying we need mass testing.

2 minutes ago, kosingh said:

How many tests per million population do you consider "mass" testing?  I agree with the other parts of your post. But we are not doing mass testing by any means. We may strategically be optimizing testing as best we can, but we are by no means doing mass testing. Not saying we need mass testing.

We are Into a phase where we catching asymptomatic case. I mean, I couldn’t help to smile, when they showed corona positive thief who ran away from hospital and then stole a motorbike and then again got caught in next city.  While corona patient of rest of world are shown on ventilators.

Our Tv news reporters are doing there corona test for purpose of news reporting while In UK, only hospitalised cases are being tested.

You cant do 1 billion test daily, but mass testing means when allmost 100% tests give asymptomatic or negative results. And india is very close to that

India population is huge problem when lock down ends  If its not handled properly it can turn bad real quick  so the  government has analyse lot of things the main thing is Health care shouldn't get burdened if gets  the death rate is will be high 

So with lock down governments around world government is using this collect knowledge on how deal with virus better, its about giving doctors and scientist time research on effective ways to deal with it  and more the information better it is  and if your one of later nations to lift lock down you can better understand what all things you need to do from other nations 

Below Angela Merkel talking about  health care system how much it handle(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22SQVZ4CeXA) , just point out Germany has one best ICU ratios and never be overwhelmed even taking patients from other European but still very carefully lifting lock down 

Ecuador appears to have similar challenges:

I am not sure how serious the aam adami, who can be more worried about his day to day challenges/survival, is in India. If things get out of control in India, the scale of damage could be unimaginable. Africa could be at big risk too if not careful. 

9 hours ago, mishra said:

District by district, cases is helping Authorities to understand and plan which part can be opened. And offcourse, now they are more prepared to deal with any local outbreak in event something like Tabhleeghis happen again. Hence despite, so many cases, India can start opening itself

All of what India is doing  sounds commonsenses. But in US, it’s election time. 

We've not even tested 1million. That is by no means mass testing. https://www.covid19india.org/

Can anyone elaborate what is the purpose of this lockdown?

If it is to stop further spreading of disease with social distancing norms  eing followed then we need to ensure a very aggressive testing strategy and make sure not a single corona patient is left out. Is it possible? Obviously no because there are asymptomatic patients too. So once lockdown is lifted it can still start spreading afresh. Remember it must have started with one person in some corner of the world. Or we need to have a very very long lockdown period which again is not possible. Numbers are just increasing not as exponential as in other countries but then we aren't testing enough.

6 minutes ago, kosingh said:

What is the plan exactly exactly after May 3rd (assuming no changes to current plans)?

Is it that after May 3rd we will allow those districts where there are very few cases to resume normal operation? And districts where cases are high will remain under lockdown?

Yes. High containment zones or hotspots are anyway major economic districts. So effectively no relief for our economy.