Pranab Mukherjee passes away at age 84

Gollum

7 minutes ago, maniac said:

RIP. Not a fan of his politics but he was our president and just because he was opposition doesn’t take away his stature and credibility as one of India’s greatest politicians of the modern era.

He tried to bridge the gaps in nationa's politics after his presidency , reaching out to RSS, was liked by BJP who gave him Bharat Ratna, has irked his Madam's ego quite a bit. Wish he had the gonads before.

4 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

He tried to bridge the gaps in nationa's politics after his presidency , reaching out to RSS, was liked by BJP who gave him Bharat Ratna, has irked his Madam's ego quite a bit. Wish he had the gonads before.

BJP gives Bharat Ratna to Pranab but not to PVN singlehandedly who put BJP on the map indirectly or more importantly the architect of modern India. sab saale chor hai.

Anyway topic for a different thread, so wont disagree on positives of the deceased.

Edited by maniac

1 hour ago, maniac said:

BJP gives Bharat Ratna to Pranab but not to PVN singlehandedly who put BJP on the map indirectly or more importantly the architect of modern India. sab saale chor hai.

Anyway topic for a different thread, so wont disagree on positives of the deceased.

Choosing Pranabda was with Bengal elections in mind.

His son Abhijit was our next door neighbor for a few years (mid/late 90s), was a SAIL employee and lived in the township. Abhijit's daughter and I were playmates, I think she was a couple of years elder to me. I don't remember much but my parents tell me Pranab was a regular visitor and used to interact like an aam aadmi with people in that avenue and buy lollipops for us kids, very down to Earth. Their family incl Pranab and his wife visited our house for dinner before Abhijit's transfer to Delhi. My parents have nothing but nice things to say about them, they still keep in touch. Abhijit's batchmate and fellow SAIL employee (also named Abhijit, retired last year as GM), who also happened to be his best friend was in my dad's dept and a junior...he committed suicide 3 days ago, jumped from 14th floor. So a double whammy, condolences and strength to Pranab da's family. 

Edited by Gollum

10 hours ago, maniac said:

That's cos he was a mentor to the inexperienced Modi (never part of Delhi circles) when he became PM, his wisdom/advice/generosity helped BJP govt a lot when it came to power in 2014, also as coffee said he tried to bridge gaps. Modi had a personal relationship with Pranab and must have wanted to award him BR while he was still alive, also as a message that BJP doesn't discriminate based on party affiliation.....Congies didn't have the heart to recognize Vajpayee, that's the difference in DNA between the two camps. I don't think Modi/Shah would have even met PVNR, personal relationship lacking there. 

PVN Rao will get his Bharat Ratna, this govt will give it to him, mark my words. I wish the govt first recognizes those still alive like civil engineer extraordinaire Sreedharan (Konkan Railways, Metro Man)...should have given it to TN Seshan when he was alive. Others in line like Kurien, Dhyan Chand etc. 

Edited by Gollum

9 minutes ago, Gollum said:

GOAT troubleshooter for the govt, and he had a damn good memory. Despite the 1984 first family drama, baton should have passed from PVNR to him in the 90s. 

Only blackmark is he was part of those who supported Emergency and lied through his way out the enquiries from the Shah Commission as well. But that was for his political survival