Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners in IPL 2020

express bowling

16 minutes ago, rollingstoned said:

Sainis biggest weapon is being able to rush the batsmen, they are consistently late on the pull which should tell you something about how much zip he gets off the wicket. Raw speed is something even shardul is capable of like we saw in Nzl but even at 160 kph he won't trouble the batsmen. I'm actually concerned at how similar deshpande looks to shardul but we shall see. 

What interests me is that both Saini and Prasidh can bowl accurately at high pace. And batsmen feel their pace too and are hurried into making mistakes.

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

It is a shame that not a single Indian pacer has crossed 150 k so far in IPL 2020.

Last time Saini, Bumrah, Prasidh, Shami, Umesh, Aaron and Ishant ... all crossed 150 k.

Bumrah & Shami clocked over 150 when??? 

Saini was bowling 150 kph though..  Prasidh too had bowled few. 

Bumrah & Shami both are 140-145 kph range.  Boom is at least 2-3 kph slower than KG. 

35 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Bumrah & Shami both are 140-145 kph range.  Boom is at least 2-3 kph slower than KG. 

Bumrah , don't know about IPL but has bowled few times in internationals(including tests),he bowled quickest delivery from both sides last Aussie tour touching 153+,

In WC game against BD last year he bowled 150+,he operates between 145-148 generally when he bowls quick,that is very range which Rabada too bowls at,i wouldn't say Rabada is 1-2 yard quicker than Bumrah, they are almost at same pace

Nortje,Wood,Archer,Starc, Ferguson are certainly quicker on average speed with Nortje being fastest at the moment

1 hour ago, Lone Wolf said:

Incorrect  !!!!

BUMRAH's speeds ---

1 )   Cricviz Analysis for 2018 ----

Excerpts ...

" In 2018 Bumrah bowled 75 balls faster than 150 kph - that is express pace. "

"  Bumrah had bowled 46% of his deliveries above 140 kph ... Rabada has bowled only 34% " ... 4th in the List.

Bumrah was 3rd quickest in the world in terms of average speed. Rabada was 5th.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.news18.com/cricketnext/amp/news/india-vs-australia-cricviz-analysis-what-makes-bumrah-so-good-1988923.html

2 )   Bumrah bowled a fastest of 153.26 kph in Australia in 2018. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.crictracker.com/jasprit-bumrah-beats-mitchell-starc-to-bowl-the-fastest-delivery-in-the-test-match/%3famp

3)  Fastest balls by Bumrah IPL 2019

150.41 kph

149.69 kph

149.28 kph

149.06 kph

https://www.iplt20.com/stats/2019/fastest-balls

4)  Fastest balls by Bumrah in IPL 2018

148.15 kph

147.95 kph

147 71 kph

147.60 kph

147.57 kph

147.34 kph

https://www.iplt20.com/stats/2018/fastest-balls

5)  Bumrah has been regularly bowling 138 k to 150 k starting mid-2017.

6)  Bumrah has bowled a fastest of 150 k+ in World Cup 2019.

SHAMI .... bowls 135 k to 146 k ... but bowled lots of 147 k to 151 k balls in IPL 2019

Fastest being 150.65 kph

https://www.iplt20.com/stats/2019/fastest-balls

Edited by express bowling

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

What interests me is that both Saini and Prasidh can bowl accurately at high pace. And batsmen feel their pace too and are hurried into making mistakes.

Very impressed by Saini. Only odd few bad balls at such a high pace. I think this is Saini's peak. Of not now, there may not be a better time to debut Saini in one or more format. Would like to know your views regarding this. Perhaps a thoughtful follower of pace bowlers like you may throw more light on this. 

20 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

Very impressed by Saini. Only odd few bad balls at such a high pace. I think this is Saini's peak. Of not now, there may not be a better time to debut Saini in one or more format. Would like to know your views regarding this. Perhaps a thoughtful follower of pace bowlers like you may throw more light on this. 

I wanted Saini to debut in tests in April 2018. But he still has not. We played weaker teams like Afghanistan, the WI and Bangladesh at home in this period, but he still did not get a test cap. 

Ishant Sharma has been breaking down regularly starting early 2019. Happened in England 2018, Austrslia 2019, NZ 2020 and IPL 2020. I am in favour of playing Saini in tests in Australia even if there is 5% chance that Ishant is not fully fit. 

And I would like to try both Saini and Prasidh in LOIs in Australia. 

2 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I wanted Saini to debut in tests in April 2018. But he still has not. We played weaker teams like Afghanistan, the WI and Bangladesh at home in this period, but he still did not get a test cap. 

Ishant Sharma has been breaking down regularly starting early 2019. Happened in England 2018, Austrslia 2019, NZ 2020 and IPL 2020. I am in favour of playing Saini in tests in Australia even if there is 5% chance that Ishant is not fully fit. 

And I would like to try both Saini and Prasidh in LOIs in Australia. 

Thank you.

I see I am two years late for him seeking a debut. Having said that, I wanted Siraj to debut in 2018 in tests. Somewhere during the time he took 3 ten fers in a month.

If I were to loosely classify pacers' speed ranges ... what they generally bowl these days then.  ( Not talking about rare fastest balls or rare slowest balls of a series or slower deliveries  )

Archer.      140 k to 152 k

Wood.       140 k to 152 k

Nortje.      140 k to 150 k

Starc.        140 k to 150 k

Saini.         140 k to 150 k

Gabriel      140 k to 150 k

Ferguson. 140 k to 150 k

Bumrah.    137 k to 148 k

Cummins  137 k to 148 k

Rabada.    137 k to 148 k

Steyn.        137 k to 148 k

Naseem.   137 k to 148 k

Shami.      135 k to 145 k

Kumara.    135 k to 145 k

Hazlew'd.  135 k to 145 k

Pattinson  132 k to 145 k

We are also forgetting one pacer who is quite fast in terms of average pace ,he is right up there,yes Iam talking about SL pacer Lahiru Kumara,i find him quite fast,he too can crank 150+ like the above bowlers his average speed is also quite high

He bowls quick in tests, doesn't get much hype but is certainly fastest (or one of the fastest)from Asia at the moment

Jofra Archer is feeling it. He doesn't have the ball in hand yet. He's not even on the field. But he has the smile of a teenager who had just discovered how to turn off parental controls on the TV. And he's dancing.

Being a fast bowler is fun.

Archer has pace that pokes holes into the laws of physics. A run up that's sometimes only a dawdle shouldn't produce speeds that petrify the batsman, but everywhere he goes and whomever he faces, he continues to do just that.

At some point, maybe in the three days off he probably gets every season, he should let the world's scientists take him apart so we can all finally and fully understand his extraordinary physical abilities.

Prithvi Shaw certainly had no warning of the carnage on the way. He took strike as he normally does. He went after a length ball as he normally does. And he got bowled neck and crop because of a hair-raising abnormality that cricket always makes room for.

Pace. 144 kph.

Archer was unplayable from the very first ball he bowled in Rajasthan Royals' game against Delhi Capitals in Dubai. He made Ajinkya Rahane shrivel away from a bouncer. That was 147 kph. He took him out too and the new guy had to face 151 kph.

This was fast bowling in its purest form. Archer was operating at a level so far above the opposition. No one could touch him. They didn't even dare, really. That is the majesty of pace. And this game was all about it.

Anrich Nortje looks every bit the speedster. Big biceps. Broad shoulders. Long run up. But Jos Buttler doesn't seem fussed. He calmly gets into his stance, crouches a bit as the ball is about to be delivered, plants his front leg down the pitch because it's full and swings it for six. That was 148 kph and hitting it out of the park was a statement.

This game was being played on a used pitch. Slower balls were bound to stick in it. A very useful advantage against a batsman like Buttler, who likes it coming onto the bat. There was logic in a change of course. But that involves a fast bowler admitting a little bit of defeat; that he can't overpower his enemy. Nortje wasn't ready for that.

So he cranked it up to 156 kph. That, btw, is only five clicks slower than the world record.

Buttler met it with one of his scoops. It doesn't even matter that it went for four. The simple fact that he thought he could play that ball with less than a full bat was bonkers. Some players really do live to face heavy metal bowling like this. It is a morbid thrill; the thought that they can take em down.

Nortje knew he had a problem. "First ball, I didn't expect him to go. I didn't expect the scoop either." But he didn't waver. He ran in again, gathering speed. This one was 155 kph and like the guitar solo from The One it had a bone-chilling effect.

It cuh-lean bowled Buttler.

"Maybe he was expecting something else," Nortje said at the presentation. "Maybe a short ball or the slower slower but I just thought I'd stick to my strengths and at the end it paid off."

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/30117578/dc-vs-rr-ipl-2020-jofra-archer-anrich-nortje-glorious-fast-bowling-nirvana

2 minutes ago, Stan AF said:

Anrich Nortje looks every bit the speedster. Big biceps. Broad shoulders. Long run up. But Jos Buttler doesn't seem fussed. He calmly gets into his stance, crouches a bit as the ball is about to be delivered, plants his front leg down the pitch because it's full and swings it for six. That was 148 kph and hitting it out of the park was a statement.

This game was being played on a used pitch. Slower balls were bound to stick in it. A very useful advantage against a batsman like Buttler, who likes it coming onto the bat. There was logic in a change of course. But that involves a fast bowler admitting a little bit of defeat; that he can't overpower his enemy. Nortje wasn't ready for that.

So he cranked it up to 156 kph. That, btw, is only five clicks slower than the world record.

Buttler met it with one of his scoops. It doesn't even matter that it went for four. The simple fact that he thought he could play that ball with less than a full bat was bonkers. Some players really do live to face heavy metal bowling like this. It is a morbid thrill; the thought that they can take em down.

Nortje knew he had a problem. "First ball, I didn't expect him to go. I didn't expect the scoop either." But he didn't waver. He ran in again, gathering speed. This one was 155 kph and like the guitar solo from The One it had a bone-chilling effect.

It cuh-lean bowled Buttler.

"Maybe he was expecting something else," Nortje said at the presentation. "Maybe a short ball or the slower slower but I just thought I'd stick to my strengths and at the end it paid off."

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/30117578/dc-vs-rr-ipl-2020-jofra-archer-anrich-nortje-glorious-fast-bowling-nirvana

Last four lines defines him, typical fast bowlers mentality

@express bowling

3 hours ago, Suhaan said:

Bumrah , don't know about IPL but has bowled few times in internationals(including tests),he bowled quickest delivery from both sides last Aussie tour touching 153+,

In WC game against BD last year he bowled 150+,he operates between 145-148 generally when he bowls quick,that is very range which Rabada too bowls at,i wouldn't say Rabada is 1-2 yard quicker than Bumrah, they are almost at same pace

Nortje,Wood,Archer,Starc, Ferguson are certainly quicker on average speed with Nortje being fastest at the moment

Bumrah was quite slow in NZ tests..  I agree he did bowl fast on Aus tour he was at his best actually .  Rabada is actually bowling quicker than him in this IPl. 

Also he was a bit quicker than him when India toured SA.  But both are not in express pace category. 

Nortje & Wood I think are fastest.  Archer Starc Ferguson are on same level. 

3 hours ago, Suhaan said:

Bumrah was quite slow in NZ tests..  I agree he did bowl fast on Aus tour he was at his best actually .  Rabada is actually bowling quicker than him in this IPl. 

Also he was a bit quicker than him when India toured SA.  But both are not in express pace category. 

1 hour ago, Lone Wolf said:

Bumrah was quite slow in NZ tests..

Not slow. He bowled 138 k to 145 k. And Bumrah was coming back from stress fracture of the back and this was his first test series after that.

Moreover, many players have complaining about NZ speed guns registering lower speeds.

Thus is what Jofra Archer and McCleneghan had to say ....

Jofra Archer has said that he was “not convinced about the speed gun” in both of England’s recent Tests in New Zealand.

Writing in his column for the Daily Mail, Archer commented on the reliability of the speeds registered by the speed guns. “In case you’re wondering I’m still not convinced about the speed gun,” wrote Archer. “I felt it didn’t have its best game at Mount Maunganui, and I came away from Hamilton thinking the same.

“Not just me – all the bowlers were made to look a bit slower than I believe they really are.”

Despite being the quickest recorded bowler in both Tests of the New Zealand series, Archer’s average speeds in Mount Maunganui and Hamilton were 84.86mph and 84.66mph respectively, two miles per hour slower than his previous lowest average recorded speed in a Test match.

Archer’s comments were supported by New Zealand quick bowler Mitchell McClenaghan on Twitter. McClenaghan wrote: “Have to agree (with Archer) – NZ have the slowest radars and it’s not a fair representation of our bowlers (sic) speeds comparatively on the world stage. Hamilton is the slowest in the world by far.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wisden.com/series-stories/new-zealand-v-england/jofra-archer-not-convinced-by-new-zealand-speed-guns/amp

I agree he did bowl fast on Aus tour he was at his best actually .  Rabada is actually bowling quicker than him in this IPl. 

Rabada has bowled 2 or 3 deliveries which are quicker than Bumrah's quickest ball in this IPL so far.

But it was shown yesterday on TV that Bumrah has bowled more 140k + deliveries in this IPL. He was 5th on that list and Rabada was not there.

Both are bowling most of their faster balls in the 143 k to 147 k range in this IPL.

True.  Both are fast.

Why not Saini  ?  Has bowled upto 153 k in his short career and lots of 145 k+ balls.

Edited by express bowling