[2020s] Watched any new movies? *Please use spoiler tags*

EnterTheVoid

3 hours ago, EnterTheVoid said:

Monkey Man - Impressive directorial debut but too violent for my liking.

Full credit to the energy and enthusiastic. But a one time watch nonetheless. 

Banned in India, what is that all about? Did you feel it was controversial to the establishment? I have seen some woke interviews of Dev Patel, seems typical of a person grown up in UK disconnected with our culture or having biased opinions about India.

14 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Banned in India, what is that all about? Did you feel it was controversial to the establishment? I have seen some woke interviews of Dev Patel, seems typical of a person grown up in UK disconnected with our culture or having biased opinions about India.

Not sure why Monkey Man is banned in India TBH.

Monkey Man is respectful of Hindu sentiments and beliefs. Adipurush, Scared Games and Tandav are far more offensive.

The movie is a revenge tale - Dev Patel takes revenge on those who killed his family. A corrupt baba protected by a corrupt police officer.

Not sure where the anti-establishment take is coming from.

On 4/26/2024 at 9:21 AM, EnterTheVoid said:

Not sure why Monkey Man is banned in India TBH.

Monkey Man is respectful of Hindu sentiments and beliefs. Adipurush, Scared Games and Tandav are far more offensive.

The movie is a revenge tale - Dev Patel takes revenge on those who killed his family. A corrupt baba protected by a corrupt police officer.

Not sure where the anti-establishment take is coming from.

Thanks I might have to pirate this one...  Not even available on OTT here. 

Dev Patel is a phenomenal actor...  In fact better than other Desi actors like Riz Ahmed,  Kumail Kal Penn...  These guys stereotyped Indian/South Asian male & did so much damage. 

Good to see Dev broke the trend. 

5 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Dev Patel is a phenomenal actor...  In fact better than other Desi actors like Riz Ahmed,  Kumail Kal Penn...  These guys stereotyped Indian/South Asian male & did so much damage. 

Yup, agree.

Dev Patel is trying to show us something that hasn't seen in Indian cinema before. And that too, for his directorial debut, dude's got balls.

A little less blood/gore and a little less swearing, movie would be a repeat watch for me.

4 hours ago, EnterTheVoid said:

Yup, agree.

Dev Patel is trying to show us something that hasn't seen in Indian cinema before. And that too, for his directorial debut, dude's got balls.

A little less blood/gore and a little less swearing, movie would be a repeat watch for me.

Sad it got banned, I got to see it to see why so. I don’t like censor board bans but SM campaigns to ban the movie is ok, nobody really reads SM and then decides to go to a movie. Pathan was a success despite SM campaign 

10 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Randeep Hooda role in Extraction is already stereotype breaking role for Indians in English movies. Dev is more high profile, but I don’t like any dog whistling about our culture as if he’s a know it all. Hanuman is not a Monkey God, you idiot (meant for Dev Patel). 

2 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Randeep Hooda role in Extraction is already stereotype breaking role for Indians in English movies. Dev is more high profile, but I don’t like any dog whistling about our culture as if he’s a know it all. Hanuman is not a Monkey God, you idiot (meant for Dev Patel). 

Hooda's role was very low profile tbh... Also he was shown as a hired henchman type guy. 

Recent 3 body problem series on Netflix had a Indian man as Navy Marshall in British Navy.  Now that's good stuff. 

Hanuman is a Pagan God as per Foreigners...  It's their own interpretation.   We can't do anything about it. 

And He cannot single handedly shatter that  stereotype.

Overall I am glad at least he is doing a fine job.  Quality desi representation in Hollywood. 

1 hour ago, Lone Wolf said:

Hooda's role was very low profile tbh... Also he was shown as a hired henchman type guy. 

Recent 3 body problem series on Netflix had a Indian man as Navy Marshall in British Navy.  Now that's good stuff. 

Hanuman is a Pagan God as per Foreigners...  It's their own interpretation.   We can't do anything about it. 

And He cannot single handedly shatter that  stereotype.

Overall I am glad at least he is doing a fine job.  Quality desi representation in Hollywood. 

It’s their own interpretation for sure, but was expecting Dev Patel to know better. He should know better from his upbringing, still being a 2nd or 3rd gen Indian origin  Quality representation as good Slumdog millionaire.

Edited by coffee_rules