TN Elections

coffee_rules

10 hours ago, Yoda-esque said:

I agree.Kannada people are one of the most polite and accommodating in India.No fake jingoism.

It's why people are taking advantage of their goodness and have the temerity to make such foolish remarks.

There's only one rule.Respect the culture of the place you live in..

The worst jingo's are dilli,punjabis and lemurians.

why no mention of mumbaikars. are you one :phehe: mumbai and bangalore has been violent at times for other states people for a long time. No wonder you have high praise for kannadigas. The so called "lemurians" have treated people from other states fairly. Its just that you have to speak the local language or some variant of english. some even speak some broken hindi these days due to the large influx of hindi speakers.

5 minutes ago, diga said:

In terms of cosmopoliteness, Mumbai > Bengaluru > Chennai .

Even as a state Mah > Kar > TN has more cosmopolitan population.  

yen saar, what happened to sirigannadam gelge? Didn’t know you were Marathi maanus! :lol: Kind of agree about cities, but how did you rate the states? I have travelled in interior Nasik and Kolhapur. Couldn’t manage with Hindi also. Had to use broken Marathi. 

11 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

yen saar, what happened to sirigannadam gelge? Didn’t know you were Marathi maanus! :lol: Kind of agree about cities, but how did you rate the states? I have travelled in interior Nasik and Kolhapur. Couldn’t manage with Hindi also. Had to use broken Marathi. 

Not marathi maanus.. but I have been to smaller towns of all 3 states listed above and that was my experience. Maybe a mallu or a telugu guy will see it diferently 

Edited by diga

12 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Heartening to see that you are completely atmanirbhar using only English and Tamil.

I concede, you really don't need Hindi to get ahead in your education/ job and travel abroad. 

But there is more to life than just work. How do you enjoy Bollywood movies without knowing rudimentary Hindi? Do you watch them with subtitles or the dubbed versions?

They are an essential part of growing up and a mainstay of contemporary cultural refinement and personality enhancement.

I  really hope this is sarcasm:laugh:

15 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

This is a 180 deg from what you said earlier. If there is any remote chance you ever go to North India, you will learn a few words of Hindi, and not say like what you said about Hindi being useless/etc/. I agree, if you live in a place for a sometime, it's better to learn the local language. I don't see that attitude in many settlers in Karnataka. They would live here for years without ever speaking Kannada. Shameful attitude.

Life is unpredictable, we don't know where we will go tomorrow. I may come to Delhi to work, or go to Germany or France or Korea. And I will learn that language. But how stupid would it be to learn Korean or German from school just because in future I MIGHT go there. That is why I said it is useless for a common person in TN to learn Hindi. If he/she takes a path which which will take them North, they will learn Hindi to survive , as simple as that. No need to master a language which one might never use in their life.

Coming to Karnataka, I feel for my Kannada brothers. Bangalore is a warning to everyone, if you let settlers dictate terms you will eventually loose your identity. Hardly anyone speaks Kannada there, the north Indians never bother to learn Kannada. This is the fault of kannadigas, if they had insisted on speaking only Kannada and not speak Hindi like what we did, settlers would have been forced to learn Kannada. 

5 hours ago, diga said:

In terms of cosmopoliteness, Mumbai > Bengaluru > Chennai .

Even as a state Mah > Kar > TN has more cosmopolitan population.  

I don't know of a single north Indian let alofne Delhiiete who would like to settle in Chennai... Mumbai, Bangaluru, Hyderabad, Pune , Delhi all feel home...maybe bad weather of Chennai alongwith anti hindi attitude.

11 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

I don't know of a single north Indian let alofne Delhiiete who would like to settle in Chennai... Mumbai, Bangaluru, Hyderabad, Pune , Delhi all feel home...maybe bad weather of Chennai alongwith anti hindi attitude.

The weather factor is overrated. Hyderabad summer gave give Chennai tough competition. It is definitely the anti Hindi stand. I have many north Indian friends in IT sector who came here for job but got transferred as soon as possible. As I said, they come here and expect everyone to speak Hindi and when we don't they feel alienated.

I say the same thing to all my north colleagues in Chennai -  you can't go to Germany for work and expect people there to speak Hindi similarly don't come to Chennai and expect Hindi here. It is a simple logic but for some reason tough to understand for many people .

26 minutes ago, ash said:

The weather factor is overrated. Hyderabad summer gave give Chennai tough competition. It is definitely the anti Hindi stand. I have many north Indian friends in IT sector who came here for job but got transferred as soon as possible. As I said, they come here and expect everyone to speak Hindi and when we don't they feel alienated.

I say the same thing to all my north colleagues in Chennai -  you can't go to Germany for work and expect people there to speak Hindi similarly don't come to Chennai and expect Hindi here. It is a simple logic but for some reason tough to understand for many people .

Weather factor maybe overrated for you but not for others ... people tell me the heat and humidity combination makes it horrible...if indians find the heat, humidity horrible, then it must be really horrible. Else it doesn't take long to form a hindi circle, we are not inclined to make horrible weather places as our hubs(hindi marathi etc.) So Chennai we don't like.

Edited by randomGuy

why no mention of mumbaikars. are you one :phehe: mumbai and bangalore has been violent at times for other states people for a long time. No wonder you have high praise for kannadigas. The so called "lemurians" have treated people from other states fairly. Its just that you have to speak the local language or some variant of english. some even speak some broken hindi these days due to the large influx of hindi speakers.
I mean it's my personal opinion.I found people in Karnataka more welcoming than those in TN.You are free to disagree.

Maharashtra has had its jingoistic moments yes .But given a choice between MH TN and Karnataka,TN would be least favored.

Even lack of professionalism .Getting labor to do work properly is a big hassle.
I would say nothing compares to Mumbai when it comes to professional services.

3 hours ago, ash said:

I'm going to call you out on this one.

Having friends from the IT/ Comp/Engg industry is bad enough, but this one takes the cake.

Why do you have em evil Northie friends who even refuse to learn the local language and expect everyone to learn Hindi at the workplace? Why?

Isn't that against your ethos?

Also why do repeatedly keep bringing up learning German? German is barely a language. Its a collection of harsh consonants meshed together and spoken in various tones of grunts and coughs. 

1 hour ago, Mariyam said:

I'm going to call you out on this one.

Having friends from the IT/ Comp/Engg industry is bad enough, but this one takes the cake.

Why do you have em evil Northie friends who even refuse to learn the local language and expect everyone to learn Hindi at the workplace? Why?

Isn't that against your ethos?

Also why do repeatedly keep bringing up learning German? German is barely a language. Its a collection of harsh consonants meshed together and spoken in various tones of grunts and coughs. 

Lol what ethos. They are good people but naive and not tough enough to survive in an alien land. 

1 hour ago, ash said:

Lol what ethos. They are good people but naive and not tough enough to survive in an alien land. 

people avoid Chennai because of climate imho , not because of language :om:

english is enough to survive in Chennai

2 hours ago, velu said:

people avoid Chennai because of climate imho , not because of language :om:

english is enough to survive in Chennai

I have even talked in Hinthi with Ola drivers. It's not that hard. The anti-Hinthi movement is not so much in Chennai as it is in other places. 

13 hours ago, Yoda-esque said:

I mean it's my personal opinion.I found people in Karnataka more welcoming than those in TN.You are free to disagree.

Maharashtra has had its jingoistic moments yes .But given a choice between MH TN and Karnataka,TN would be least favored.

Sure that's your personal opinion but there are plenty of northies that have settled here in the past decade that will disagree with you. Inability of locals to speak in Hindi has kept them on check with regard to what kind of northies settle here. Those northies with the "hindi me baat kar" attitude will be shunned and are most likely to not move here for that reason. I know of atleast one in this thread :phehe: 

There was a case of one such northie in Bengaluru who was a bank manager who misbehaved with a local asking him to speak in Hindi. Imagine that. This is someone who is literate (note the distinction between literacy and education) telling a local to speak in Hindi. As someone who supposedly lives in Mumbai, you should know several cases in Mumbai where this happens. Find a solution to this problem before you get into a slinging match about which state is more jingoistic. What you read about jingoism is more likely a media hype.

For those Kannadigas who lament about Bengaluru's Kannadiga exodus should take a leaf out of TN. They usually blame Tamils for all their ills but ignore other states that move there. Kanndigas have historic ties with other southies like Tamils than someone in Delhi, UP and Bihar. if you ask many southies, they would rather prefer to be in one of the southern cities than say Mumbai or Delhi.

8 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

I have even talked in Hinthi with Ola drivers. It's not that hard. The anti-Hinthi movement is not so much in Chennai as it is in other places. 

What you think of anti-hindi is more like they don't know Hindi. your recent experience with ola drivers maybe due to them knowing Hindi. also there are many mallus and other state peoples who are into ola driving business

47 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

What you think of anti-hindi is more like they don't know Hindi. your recent experience with ola drivers maybe due to them knowing Hindi. also there are many mallus and other state peoples who are into ola driving business

Exactly. People assume that everyone in TN is anti Hindi. Many have even asked me if Hindi is banned in TN and students are prohibited from learning it:facepalm:  they don't understand it is a matter of choice and many here just don't prefer to learn Hindi cause we have plenty of opportunities in our own state. It is just a practical decision, not an emotional one. 

16 hours ago, randomGuy said:

My Apologies to sensible tamil folks like @velu for the my unacceptable remarks about looks.

I don't mean them ofcourse. Used those remarks to reply to and trigger some idiot Tamils who like to repeatedly use terms like BIMARU(sick) for other parts of the country. I will never use them in future.

most of the people who name calls don't actually mean it .. maybe @New guy is an exception :giggle: