Gusty AT Ind Test 11

zen

Gutsy as in?

Here is my XI of players with never say die attitude, who played past pain barrier or with physical limitations....

Anshuman Gaekwad

Chetan Chauhan

Amarnath (master of pain)

Pant (wk) (SCG, enough said)

Laxman (2010 Colombo and Mohali with severe back spasms)

Pataudi (c) (85, 75 at MCG with one eye and one leg against McKenzie and co, drew praise from Bradman for his courage LINK, )

Kapil 

Jaddu (even when injured badly never shows)
Ashwin (2017 Aus with hernia, SCG)

Kumble (broken jaw in WI)

Ishant

Kapil won us the 1981 MCG test with injury and once bowled a long spell with a fracture in Pak, don't remember but I think it was one of his fingers or toes. Ishant has shown guts many times playing with niggles (like 1st test NZ 2020) or in his role as night-watchman copping blows for the team, great workhorse like Siddle.  

Can't think of feats by other quicks...Bumrah, Shami, Zak, Srinath all very good but the 3 spinners in above team are more gutsy IMO.

Gaekwad and Chauhan mediocre openers but have heard a lot about their courage, how they went through lot of physical punishment at the hands of quicks without flinching. 

Edited by Gollum

Vihari’s knock has to be there if we are going with one off instance. A hamstring is one of the worst places to get injured and a tear can be unimaginable. Just an injury hurts like a bitch leave alone tear. 

Playing 200+ balls with a torn harmstring deserves a hall of fame or one of the gutsiest innings plaque automatically.

2 minutes ago, zen said:

Kumble bowled, which is what he is picked for, while injured and therefore preference 

How exactly do you measure guts? If a player is constantly abused. His position under threat, loss of form but still fights it out is gutsy without any injury or a guy playing with injury can be called gutsy or even a fast bowler giving it all on a flat pancake and not getting any returns can be called one.

Sorry but your parameters are too vague unless the list is your personal one and isn’t based on any logical deductions. In that case it is fair.

5 minutes ago, maniac said:

Vihari’s knock has to be there if we are going with one off instance.

Why would you go by one off instances? Also the players have to be of or close to ATG stature to be in an 11 

Edited by zen

Vague topic. Making a XI of most gutsy players is different compared to our strongest possible team where all the players emphatically tick 'guts' column. I tried to mix both but with selection of my openers (former category), not the strongest XI. 

Edited by Gollum
5 minutes ago, maniac said:

How exactly do you measure guts? If a player is constantly abused. His position under threat, loss of form but still fights it out is gutsy without any injury

That is a common theme across most cricketers, why would that be even be a criteria 

or a guy playing with injury can be called gutsy or even a fast bowler giving it all on a flat pancake and not getting any returns can be called one.

Those can be criteria but the player has to be among ATG or close for the respective team 

8 minutes ago, KiraReturns23 said:

Lol then pant is nowhere close to ATG stature right now, you are full of logical fallacies

I said ATG or close .... What are the options? The guy avg 40+ as a WK and has almost 3 test 100s w/o playing much in Ind 

PS let me worry about my logic :winky:

Edited by zen
7 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Vague topic. Making a XI of most gutsy players is different compared to our strongest possible team where all the players emphatically tick 'guts' column. I tried to mix both but with selection of my openers (former category), not the strongest XI. 

If it is an AT 11, ideally the players should be of ATG stature in some way or close enough 

5 minutes ago, zen said:

I said ATG or close .... What are the options? The guy avg 40+ as a WK and has almost 3 test 100s w/o playing much in Ind 

PS let me worry about my logic :winky:

He's not close to ATG, he will be ATG by the end of his career, but one doesn't become ATG or get close to it after a few tests. I am not worrying about your logic, just exposing it, although judging by the replies on this thread no one takes your opinion seriously anyways

Edited by KiraReturns23
5 minutes ago, KiraReturns23 said:

He's not close to ATG, he will ATG by the end of his career, but one doesn't become ATG or get close to it after a few tests.

So what are the options?

I am not worrying about your logic, just exposing it, although judging by the replies on this thread no one takes your opinion seriously anyways

It will take you a lifetime to do that ... focus on the topic. (or take a hike) .... i do not worry about fanboys rushing in to comment when x or y name is not on a list 

Edited by zen
8 minutes ago, zen said:

If it is an AT 11, ideally the players should be of ATG stature in some way or close enough 

Ok then, my openers will be Gavaskar and Merchant. Latter because he was supposed to be the 1st Indian batsman not bothered by short ball, also great respect for players in the pre-helmet era. Rest of the team as it is. 

Edited by Gollum
1 minute ago, zen said:

It will take you a life time to do that ... focus on the topic, i do not care about fanboys rushing in to comment 

There was a time when I would have indulged with trolls but I am over it now, if you can't even form a coherent logic to defend your stupid opinion then I won't waste any time on you. Your bias is visible to everyone, have fun, I am out

1 minute ago, Gollum said:

Ok then, my openers will be Gavaskar and Merchant. Latter because he was supposed to be the 1st Indian batsman not bothered by short ball, also great respect for players in the pre-helmet era. Rest of the team as it is. 

Those are good choices 

8 minutes ago, KiraReturns23 said:

There was a time when I would have indulged with trolls but I am over it now, if you can't even form a coherent logic to defend your stupid opinion then I won't waste any time on you. Your bias is visible to everyone, have fun, I am out

have seen enough trolls and fanboys too .... take a hike 

Edited by zen