India forgot the art of swing??

gakgupta

in the 90's...almost all the batsmen used to play swing with ease...

May it be sachin, saurav, rahul, sehwag, azar, jadeja etc.....

And most of our pace bowlers use to swing...kapil, manoj, mohanty etc...

But now...we dont have too many bowlers who can swing nor batsmen who can play them...

Indian pitches changed?? or swing bowling not given enough importance?? what changed....this needs to be fixed

Batsman can't play swing now because the IPL calender clashes with County cricket calender.

Batsman of the 1980s and 1990s used to hone their skills against swing in county cricket.

Not happening now.

There are lots of swing bowlers in India now  ... but the ball does not swing much in India. It is not an issue of not having swing bowlers. 

Edited by express bowling

India's wins are largely based on swing bowling apart from 2018 tour to Australia. Pathan perth Test, RP Singh/Zak England series/ Sreesanth  SA tests/  Even in the last Test, Thakur was able to swing the ball despite going for runs took some crucial wickets. Ishant's stock ball is a prodigiously inswinging ball. Under Dhoni he pretty much stopped bowling that.  You either have to move the ball off the pitch or in the air. This is why guys like Saini will have trouble succeeding.

5 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

India's wins are largely based on swing bowling apart from 2018 tour to Australia. Pathan perth Test, RP Singh/Zak England series/ Sreesanth  SA tests/  Even in the last Test, Thakur was able to swing the ball despite going for runs took some crucial wickets. Ishant's stock ball is a prodigiously inswinging ball. Under Dhoni he pretty much stopped bowling that.  You either have to move the ball off the pitch or in the air. This is why guys like Saini will have trouble succeeding.

Saini has been a bowl fast & hit the deck bowler from the start. His issue imo is discipline, he keeps bowling hit me to boundary wide balls every over. 

8 hours ago, express bowling said:

Batsman can't play swing now because the IPL calender clashes with County cricket calender.

Batsman of the 1980s and 1990s used to hone their skills against swing in county cricket.

Not happening now.

There are lots of swing bowlers in India now  ... but the ball does not swing much in India. It is not an issue of not having swing bowlers. 

Superb post. I have lost count of the number of times shout myself hoarse about this county practice game issue. Indian players have no time for county practice hence they struggle. Yet the padosis think they are gifted to plays swing better.

Trust me no one wants to get hit by a bouncer. Bounce is much harder to play bounce than swing. Its easier to prepare for swing Condtions if you practice in county. 

Indian bowlers have become very hit the deck type now. Lot of fast Pacers but all are more into bouncing opposition out. Not going to lie. I ain't complaining. 

Give the 2018 team some county practice before a major test series and I guarantee they would wipe the floor with them.

I somehow feel earlier our bowler's use to bowl floaty deliveries coz it was either green top or rank turners the pitches have changed remarkable that is why you are seeing so many hit the deck bowlers as you have to put extra effort to create chances, its not that we don't have Swing bowlers have all,other issue is lack of patience,a lot of our stroke makers don't realise that leaving the ball accurately can sometimes be an attacking option rather than defensive,by leaving accurately you are forcing bowler to ball at you, which provides scoring opportunities,need to prepare urself in grounds like Dharamsala,lahili,when touring England

Edited by vayuu1