Predict Indian management's tactics against Joe Root

New guy

We know now how Indian management had brilliants plans against not only entire Aus team, but individual players like Smith as well. Jpe Root has been in brilliant form and seems to be the best current player of spin bowling among all the fab 4. 

Put yourself in their shoes and try to guess what do you think the management's plans will be against Root? What should they plan to get his wicket and/or tie him up? What should be plan B if plan A doesnt work?

Some pointers -

• Our spinners usually bowl much faster than Sri Lankan ones
  • Joe Root's main weapons against spinners in this Sri Lankan series seems to be sweep and reverse sweep to anything pitched up or good length by spinners. He has also pulled and cut really well, picking the length very early. 
  • Indian pace bowlers have done really well in India recently and Joe has been more vulnerable to pace
  • Look at things like wagon wheel, etc to see where he scores the most

For bonus points, try to predict which bowler which take his wicket the most and his modes of dismissal 

Edited by New guy

Cut off his sweep. Have a backward short leg and a deep mid on all the time. Also predominantly bowl left arm Axar Patel against him who ll bounce the ball more. He rarely gets lbw so let him cut against the spin on his favoured backfoot to the offside and he ll nick to the wicket keeper...:

.... and then pray...

that Pant catches it..

3 hours ago, neel roy said:

Cut off his sweep. Have a backward short leg and a deep mid on all the time. Also predominantly bowl left arm Axar Patel against him who ll bounce the ball more. He rarely gets lbw so let him cut against the spin on his favoured backfoot to the offside and he ll nick to the wicket keeper...:

.... and then pray...

that Pant catches it..

or it goes to Rahane at Slip.

I am excited to see Bumrah in home conditions for the first time.  I think Siraj has that something special about him too.  

5 hours ago, neel roy said:

.... and then pray...

that Pant catches it..

I doubt spin will prevail against him. Sri Lanka also had backward short and deep mid most times but it just allowed Root to sweep on the ground to take singles almost every ball

Just now, Sandeep99 said:

He is a compulsive sweeper. Need to completely block the offside and ask him to sweep as much as possible. Kuldeep/Ashwin/Axar will definitely extract that mistake. However, I see him scoring at least 2 hundreds in this series. Basically he and Smith reversed their roles.

If you use your fielders to pack off side , onside will have big gaps and every sweep will be boundary on most occasions . 

34 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

On Indian pitches, surely you jest :hysterical:

Were you in a coma for last 5+ years? We have constantly troubled batsmen with bounce and also caused around 3 concussion substitute in india.

There is a reason all our fast bowlerss average 25 or less in india in this time period. We have combined bouncers with reverse swing at high pace very effectively 

Edited by New guy
9 minutes ago, Sandeep99 said:

He is a compulsive sweeper. Need to completely block the offside and ask him to sweep as much as possible. Kuldeep/Ashwin/Axar will definitely extract that mistake. However, I see him scoring at least 2 hundreds in this series. Basically he and Smith reversed their roles.

He was reverse sweeping almost as much as the regular sweep

I would like to make some bold predictions here 

Root will only cross 50 once this series and it won't be a 100

He will get out 5 or more times to pacers. 

We will be trapping him be mixing in inswingers after bowling outswingers to him to get him LBW with rare chance if bowled too.  He might also have a couple of dismissals to short balls

8 minutes ago, New guy said:

There is a reason all our fast bowlerss average 25 or less in india in this time period. We have combined bouncers with reverse swing at high pace very effectively 

Also in case you didn't get the stats from the other thread, only Shami & Umesh avg under 30 against S. E. N. A. batters over the last decade in India. It's all well claiming we'll injure the batters but unless you're Windies pacers that tactic will not work in India over 4 tests! Even back then of course the protective gear wasn't all that great - so if you're thinking Root will be bounced out in India, then maybe you need to start watching cricket a lot more closely. Even Lee, MJ, Akhtar, Starc couldn't get that tactic to work here! There's a reason why Steyn is the best fast bowler to play in India in the last 3 decades & it isn't because he was bouncing out opposition :bebored:

15 minutes ago, New guy said:

Were you in a coma for last 5+ years? We have constantly troubled batsmen with bounce and also caused around 3 concussion substitute in india.

I'm not sure which side of the bed you woke up on but the reason why some of these guys are avg less than 30 in India is because of their wicket to wicket bowling, not concussing batters :hmpf:

So you don't understand how pushing the batsmen back with short balls will then  cause thenm to make mistakes on fuller and length deliveries

And you are wrong, most of our pacers wickets have been either full length or short balls where batsmen fell to hook. We had very few of good length, caught at slip etc. We had, bowled, LBW and caught beyond the circle 

Well you can  say whatever you want to, I've given you the stats on the other thread. Ishant 2.0 or Bumrah will not bounce England out in India, bouncer is good as a surprise tactic in India but even then you need really quick bowlers for that. Only Bumrah can do that in the first few tests & I doubt he'd expend his energy bowling 4-5 short balls in an over & hoping Root falls to the 1 sucker ball in that Chennai heat.

1 hour ago, R!TTER said:

On Indian pitches, surely you jest :hysterical:

Shami and Umesh can bowl bouncers even on Indian pitches. They are that good. Indian pitches have a bit for everybody now. It's not extremely spin friendly. The pitches we put out for saffers is perfect.