Movies that surprised you!

zen

11 minutes ago, poyzzplaidwell said:

Midnight in Paris.

I am bit of a Europhile and I have been lucky to go their for most of by office work trips, Including 2 years living as an expat in Spain. I have been to almost every major European capital and 16+ countries there. But always liked Paris and this movie just kind of blew me away. 

The concept of Nostalgia, and everyone in his time admires the older times. The one in 1920s loved the turn of the century and so on.

Man I too would love to live in that 20s Paris. But current cities of Spain are absolutely wonderful as well if you have a decent job.

Apart from nostalgia over Paris, it just hits at so many levels. Makes you want to read a lot. 

3 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

Apart from nostalgia over Paris, it just hits at so many levels. Makes you want to read a lot. 

Yeah. Hemmingway's scenes were absolute classic. My best was one with Dali and Bunuel and Manley, the surrealists. They are the only ones who don't think Gil is crazy.

Edited by poyzzplaidwell

7 hours ago, poyzzplaidwell said:

Yeah. Hemmingway's scenes were absolute classic. My best was one with Dali and Bunuel and Manley, the surrealists. They are the only ones who don't think Gil is crazy.

when one strolls down some areas even today in paris - like certain streets in montmartre - one feels as though one is transported back to a diff era when the likes of picasso, dali, hemingway, bunuel dwelt there.

On 7/24/2021 at 8:10 PM, zen said:

La Jetee (1962, French) ... I knew that it was some kind of a Sci-Fi ... I was totally surprised with its presentation which was still photographs w/ narration. The length of the film was around 30 mins. One of the most unusual films that I have seen! 

except for that one glorious time when we transition from still images to moving images (i.e., the cinematic medium). one of the ATG sci-fi films in my book

On 7/12/2021 at 4:02 PM, zen said:

Au Hasard Balthazar (1966, French) ... One of the films that I had avoided because I felt that it required me to be in the right mood for it but finally got to it after the film remained for years in my watchlist ... Very good ... Tells the story of a donkey and his various owners, many of whom treat him callously:

Not only is Balthasar arguably one of the ATG films and arguably the best of Bresson, it is beyond argument the greatest film about an ass. One can say that it shows the greatest ass of all time.

7 hours ago, Vijy said:

when one strolls down some areas even today in paris - like certain streets in montmartre - one feels as though one is transported back to a diff era when the likes of picasso, dali, hemingway, bunuel dwelt there.

yeah. Still that old charm remains.It is an absolute fantastic city to walk around and explore.I actually have walked the major parts of city on foot 3 times with multiple beer/wine and cheese stops.

Written in the Wind (1956) 

Directed by Douglas Sirk. This film has various layers including relationship angles that makes it an interesting watch. Loosely adapted (with virtues woven in instead of vices) in Bollywood as Aadmi & Insaan (1969) directed by Yash Chopra. 

Sleepy Hollow (1999) - Watched it a long long time ago. Gave it a watch recently and was presently surprised by how good its cinematography is esp. with respect to the gothic supernatural mystery/horror genre! ... In hindsight, you would expect that from a film directed by Tim Burton and photographed by Emmanuel Lubezki. 

Edited by zen

Just saw Fight Club again this weekend.

first time I saw the movie obviously loved it for Brad Pitt’s cool look, the fight scenes, the background score. Just one of the coolest movies I saw.

However now understanding the deeper meaning, having listened to Chuck Palhaunik over the years and re watching the movie I have new found appreciation for it and my mind is blown at the multi level message the movie has.

One of the coolest movies ever made but also one of the most philosophical ones.

Edited by maniac

16 hours ago, zen said:

Sleepy Hollow (1999) - Watched it a long long time ago. Gave it a watch recently and was presently surprised by how good its cinematography is esp. with respect to the gothic supernatural mystery/horror genre! ... In hindsight, you would expect that from a film directed by Tim Burton and photographed by Emmanuel Lubezki. 

Tim B is kinda nuts but his visual compositions are almost always superb.

Fu Manchu series released in the 60s & starring Christopher Lee. There are 5 films of which I have watched first 2. The first 3 are supposed to be good for time pass when you are in the mood for a B film (may not be for everyone). Listing the first 3 below: 

The Face of Fu Manchu 

The Brides of Fu Manchu

The Vengance of Fu Manchu 

Edited by zen

Le Trou(1960) - loved it immensely. Prison break scenes were awesome.

Secrets and Lies - Was taken aback by the acting of Brenda Blethyn. Didnt know who she was.

Dersu Uzala - Kurosawa film that never gets talked about too much. Liked it a lot

Fellini Satyricon - Was visually gobsmacked (as I was in some scenes of Roma and Casanova)

5 hours ago, Forward Defence said:

Le Trou(1960) - loved it immensely. Prison break scenes were awesome.

Secrets and Lies - Was taken aback by the acting of Brenda Blethyn. Didnt know who she was.

Dersu Uzala - Kurosawa film that never gets talked about too much. Liked it a lot

Fellini Satyricon - Was visually gobsmacked (as I was in some scenes of Roma and Casanova)

Dersu Uzala is underrated and an interesting subject. I still favor some of Kurosawa's other underrated films though (like his film noirs)

Le Trou is v. enjoyable

Secrets and Lies - another fine film from the great Mike Leigh. He gets great naturalistic acting performances from his actors, like Imelda Staunton in Vera Drake.

Have seen Satyricon, but it's been a long time so not many specific comments to add here